advertisement

Pre Raspberry Pi delivery question please.

Not directly relevant for this thread, but can I just point out, politely, that Ubuntu Mate for the Pi is the most irritating bug-laden piece of crap I've had the misfortune of puttng anywhere near a computer since the early versions of Microsoft Exchange Server. Ugh.

Kenny, this should be you pcp with LMS and Squeezelite enabled:

lms%20and%20squeezelite%20running_zps0llo7vdc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I don't have a dac on this pi, I have just enabled the default output, your name should be picoreplayer, unless you have changed it:

picoreplayer%20name_zps6peapy2e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is the volume setting, yours should be 100%

volume%20control_zpsakwr37i7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ronnie

Make sure you go onto the LMS settings and put in your MySqueezebox.com username and password and then click apply at the bottom left. Then go to the Advanced tab. Find Tidal. Click on it. Put in your username and password and apply and you should be right. Choose flac if you have their cd quality subscription. Your doing very well and others are providing excellent help.

Not directly relevant for this thread, but can I just point out, politely, that Ubuntu Mate for the Pi is the most irritating bug-laden piece of crap I've had the misfortune of puttng anywhere near a computer since the early versions of Microsoft Exchange Server. Ugh.

You just did :)

Guys just got home now with new micro sd ready to flash the iqaudio test programme on to it.

Fired up LMS and bugger me Tidal is now on there after the complete reboot.

Messed about to get it to play FLAC rather that 256 MP3 and stuff me, totally incredible, can't believe what I'm hearing.

I can't thank my mate Del and Man in the van enough, along with all the other help received on here.

So that's it Tidal streaming full FLAC, laptop remotely and untethered controlling everything and SQ and operation simply stunning.

I bet there is now loads more to learn, ie streaming some FLAC files I have on the laptop etc.

What a stunning piece of kit, simply stunning and sod the cheap price, that doesn't come in to it, my main dac is now redundant without a doubt.

Again lads, much appreciated. I did not think I'd have it built and running perfectly in such a short space of time.

Very much appreciated. Thank you. Amazing.

Well done.You clearly have an aptitude for this sort of thing.Others would have given up and said it's unworkable and for nerds...blah blah...but now you know what we nerds go on about and you have musical nirvana at a fraction of the cost. Glad you're enjoying it. Must check out one of those IQaudio boards. If it's made your MDac redundant it must be good.
Tablet control may be the next stage. There's a few extras you can get by adding plugins on the LMS settings but for now just listen and enjoy! And glad we could all help!
Del

Thanks Del, I'd never have got it set up without the help from you and other lads on PFM.

Yes as a little experiment, I bought the cheapie CCA and battery bank for a play a few weeks back, great little piece of kit and not a long way behind the main DAC, but behind it was.

This is different league, after half an hour the Stand alone DAC was removed from the rack and put safely in its box, the new sound being better all round.

I have the RPI/DAC linked into the Naim 72 at present and newly fettled Avondale TPR4 Hicap, into a fresh Nap 250, terrific, it really is.

I'd never have believed it for the money, although as I say before I'd even posted here I know one PFM'r who'd ditched 3.5k's worth of DAC for this.

It has really turned my head around now as to the price of some "digi" kit and what is on offer from "underground" movements.

I love my vintage gear still but this technology is breathtaking as to what can be achieved with a modicum of effort and not being tied to plug and play items.

I'm fortunate I could go and buy the Latest Naim DAC/Streamer, but the stuff I've learned doing this and the results I'm hearing far outweigh flashing any wallet. Really enjoyed all the help and interest too off you guys.

Thanks fellas, made up with that!

Thanks Del, I'd never have got it set up without the help from you and other lads on PFM.

Yes as a little experiment, I bought the cheapie CCA and battery bank for a play a few weeks back, great little piece of kit and not a long way behind the main DAC, but behind it was.

This is different league, after half an hour the Stand alone DAC was removed from the rack and put safely in its box, the new sound being better all round.

I have the RPI/DAC linked into the Naim 72 at present and newly fettled Avondale TPR4 Hicap, into a fresh Nap 250, terrific, it really is.

I'd never have believed it for the money, although as I say before I'd even posted here I know one PFM'r who'd ditched 3.5k's worth of DAC for this.

It has really turned my head around now as to the price of some "digi" kit and what is on offer from "underground" movements.

I love my vintage gear still but this technology is breathtaking as to what can be achieved with a modicum of effort and not being tied to plug and play items.

I'm fortunate I could go and buy the Latest Naim DAC/Streamer, but the stuff I've learned doing this and the results I'm hearing far outweigh flashing any wallet. Really enjoyed all the help and interest too off you guys.

Thanks fellas, made up with that!

It's been a pleasure to help. If you ever fancy adding a touchscreen let me know. It's just a question purchasing a screen and a stand £65 and installing jivelite(installed from the Picoreplayer pages) and you will have a nice now playing screen with other features. Mine looks the bees knees in my set up. Don't want to distract you too much though.

Thanks again for that Del. If there are any hifi peripherals or bits you are after I've a house full here, anything you are after just give me a shout I'd like to think I have it. I owe you one.

Yes the screen sounds a great idea, I bet there are loads of other bits I'm yet to find too.

At present I just like having the laptop on the other side of the room and using it like that, scared of upsetting any apple carts now as I'd hate to lose this set up and SQ that by some wondrous stroke of luck has happened:D

Switching off properly? I just close all the internet programmes down and pull the chord. I've heard scare stories on forums about problems when switching off, although mine seems as stable as anything.

Thanks again.

Interesting - so the pi/dac combo is good enough to replace your mdac, and good enough for you not to worry about buying a Linn or Naim streamer etc.

I always thought the pi/dac thing was a nerdy way of feeling superior and clever by spending tiny amounts of money compared to the more industrial audiophile alternatives out there, but in actual fact not being better, only feeling better in that you've spent far less - this proves not to be the case here. That could be "pi in the face" of many people here with more esoteric installations.

I thought the pi/dac combo was decent for the money but it was not as good as my Chevron Audio dac that is why I sold it on, the mdac must be pretty poor:)

Switching off properly? I just close all the internet programmes down and pull the chord. I've heard scare stories on forums about problems when switching off, although mine seems as stable as anything.

Thanks again.

If you're running piCorePlayer you don't need to worry about shutting down 'properly', even if you're running LMS, as long as you're not rebuilding the catalogue/index at the time (doh! error on my part), you can pull the plug at any time without corrupting your SD as it runs purely from memory...:)

It has really turned my head around now as to the price of some "digi" kit and what is on offer from "underground" movements

It is not really underground in any way, the RPi is very mainstream (to the extent that any real digital technology hacker will go "oh yes, great for the masses, but rather flawed as a real cutting edge device") unless you are an audiophile who still thinks you need a linear power supply for your LP player...

I thought the pi/dac combo was decent for the money but it was not as good as my Chevron Audio dac that is why I sold it on, the mdac must be pretty poor:)

I run mine with modest Cambridge Audio Dac 100(well built and well implemented) and it suits my system well. It produces a detailed and non-fatiguing sound and plays my music just right.That's all I'm after really. I may try the Iqaudio Dac as it appears to be a well thought out device. Kenny's feedback has intrigued me and I do enjoy building things.

I may try the Iqaudio Dac as it appears to be a well thought out device. Kenny's feedback has intrigued me and I do enjoy building things.
The IQ package is excellent VFM and the case tops it off, neat and functional, however I also have an rpi2/Audiophonics V2 player and it's a bit better SQ wise IMHO...although there's no neat case option, I'm using a dog bone case

Thanks again for that Del. If there are any hifi peripherals or bits you are after I've a house full here, anything you are after just give me a shout I'd like to think I have it. I owe you one.

Yes the screen sounds a great idea, I bet there are loads of other bits I'm yet to find too.

At present I just like having the laptop on the other side of the room and using it like that, scared of upsetting any apple carts now as I'd hate to lose this set up and SQ that by some wondrous stroke of luck has happened:D

Thanks again.

That's very kind of you Kenny but I'm happy enough to have helped you along the way with other PFMers and contributed to what has become a positive and constructive thread that may help others to discover the merits of these great devices.

The IQ package is excellent VFM and the case tops it off, neat and functional, however I also have an rpi2/Audiophonics V2 player and it's a bit better SQ wise IMHO...although there's no neat case option, I'm using a dog bone case

I've seen the Audiophonics cards.Where do I source these?

Interesting - so the pi/dac combo is good enough to replace your mdac, and good enough for you not to worry about buying a Linn or Naim streamer etc.

I always thought the pi/dac thing was a nerdy way of feeling superior and clever by spending tiny amounts of money compared to the more industrial audiophile alternatives out there, but in actual fact not being better, only feeling better in that you've spent far less - this proves not to be the case here. That could be "pi in the face" of many people here with more esoteric installations.

Good post.

In a nutshell...yes

Kennyh,
Now that you've succeeded in setting up you Pi with the help of others, you may want to take advantage of the hardware volume control capability of the IQaudIO dac...

To do this open the piCorePlayer webpage in 'Beta mode' and open the 'Squeezelite Settings' tab. Once there type 'Digital' in the ALSA volume control field and then press Save.

This won't matter if you're already playing your piCorePlayer at full blast, but it helps otherwise

advertisement

Back