advertisement

Moving from Naim

From its limited specification I would not expect the 180A to outperform the SN2, too much hassle to find out.

Who cares for specs ? (you obviously)

What matters is performance by using it, only then one could decide which amp outperform the other.
Price and features might play a role

oh dear yet another Naim bashing thread....

The bashing on the Exposure thread is more severe. Reading comments such as the Exposure eating the Naims for breakfast, wiping the floor with it or smashing it to pieces, it is quite hilarious really.

Really ???, might I suggest you are being a little over dramatic.
Naim is very good kit, but there is also some other very good kit out there that is not made by Naim.
If discussion of these is a little too much for you then I suggest the overwhelmingly pro Naim discussions over on the Naim forum may make for better reading.

after using Chord DAC's I do understand what Naim and Linn said all those years ago "source first". A Chord Mojo or Hugo dac makes wonderful music.

I do wonder sometimes what a Hegel amp would sound with my Chord DAC. I am eagerly awaiting Chord's new digital amplifier range

About the green white crowd and B&W speakers, well Naim don't make their own speakers anymore....

FWIW, out of all the speakers I heard, the ones that made an immediate impact on me were Dynaudio Focus (and also excite range), and Sonus Faber Olympica 2.

I chose Dynaudio for the synergy with Naim sound, never really heard any speaker sound more energetic with Naim (including Naim's own Ovator and intros)

On the Dynaudio forum, seems Hegel amplifiers seems to work well with those speakers....

Wonderful post, probably sums up how a lot of us feel, even though I came into Naim in 2004, my dealer at the time had worked in Naim with Julian and there certainly was the club feel to their forum at that point.

I've recently sold my Naim source and am totally enjoying thring various products to run Roon into a Hugo TT.

To the OP, Naim amplification is still their strong point (IMHO), perhaps instead of ditching everything, change your source to a streaming one (preferably with Roon) and it may well give a lease of life to your amplification.

Having said that I would be quite prepared to move from Naim but I hope I'd be careful not to throw out the baby with the proverbial.

Do let us know how things progress.

.sjb

I have thought of keeping my Naim amps and changing the source (I need to check out Roon)...I have one more dem and a decision should be made soon

Regards

I am eagerly awaiting Chord's new digital amplifier range

When will these be announced?
I've had a scout around but can't find anything specific?
A powerful integrated streaming amp with a built in mojo/hugo would be a great alternative one-boxer to Devialet/Hegel/Naim.

Something like an LFD PA2M would be a good move from Naim. Unlike the lighter amps like the Zero, PA0 etc. which will lose the 'boogie factor' of the Naim gear unless using sensitive speakers, the PA2M amps are more like 250s or 135s in their power delivery, but with an incredibly natural and liquid midrange & top end that Naim gear just can't compete with IMHO. It flies under the radar and there are some great prices around as a result. Personally I'm a fan of British amps in general, and think there's a certain philosophy that they share in their minimalist, hairshirt approach, but that approach was in the earlier Julian Vereker days with Naim gear becoming more complicated and integrated these days, and perhaps losing some of the magic in the process.

Find some really good speakers that you really like and then get amps and a front end to suit, otherwise you're just swapping out amps with different names on the boxes and following a system building dogma dreamed up decades ago to sell turntables and amps made by...

I went from LP12, 555, 552, 500, 01 etc etc and now have Brinkmann/Counterpoint/KDS/Audio Research/Sonus faber and the odd tuner.

Hi Abbydog

Can I ask what Audio Research combo you have. We have Sonus Faber Olympica 1 and over the last couple of years we have listened to and enjoyed Audio Research Ref 5SE and Ref 75. Recently we have a Ref 6/Ref 150SE combo and played it at the same time with our 552/Naim amps into the our Sonus Faber and with the Naim sources. It was a very good comparison, with more similarities and clear differences. Would be good to know your process when changing and rationale. Also how have you found reliability with the AR?

We have stayed with the Naim for good reasons, but interested to know what your rationale was. Audio Research is very good.

Thanks

I use a Counterpoint SA9 phono stage, Audio Research SP11 preamp and a VT130SE power amp. These are the finest I have found with my speakers. I have owned in the recent past Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE, Ref 5SE pre, Ref 150 power, LS 25Mk2 and some other stuff. I have also retained a Classic 60.

I have had no reliability issues, but do get stuff serviced.

I use a Counterpoint SA9 phono stage, Audio Research SP11 preamp and a VT130SE power amp. These are the finest I have found with my speakers. I have owned in the recent past Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE, Ref 5SE pre, Ref 150 power, LS 25Mk2 and some other stuff. I have also retained a Classic 60.

I have had no reliability issues, but do get stuff serviced.

I haven't heard the SP11 (but heard good things) but have heard the LS25/27 etc, which I found disappointing and lacked detail and musicality. The Ref 5SE and 6 were amazing and easily in the 552 (mine is a non DR version. We liked the Ref 75 a lot and the Ref 150 (but that has a noisy fan). What speakers do you have?

Thanks

This whole 'spec' thing makes me laugh.

I play bass in a few bands and guitarists are not bothered by spec at all, it's all about how it sounds and how loud it will go.

Believe me about 10 watts of decent valve guitar amp will fill a 300 seater hall.

I'm aware that my feet are set in concrete in the subjective camp but at the end of the day, often literally, isn't how the music sounds in your room the most important thing, followed by looks, convenience etc etc....?

Well that is a bit drama queenie to be honest.

I have run two Naim systems since the mid eighties and have no wish or intention to change because Naim does what I want in the sense that it is right at the top in terms of quality, longevity and above all, the ability to effortlessly communicate music.

Life is too short to be focussed on just one hobby, so once you have got something right in one part of your life, you move on to concentrate on something else.

I just received a batch of brilliantly mastered CDs by Ricki Lee Jones yesterday and spent the entire afternoon listening to the music and it was uplifting. Why the hell should I want to change that.

The evening was spent in an Italian restaurant noshing on good food with old friends discussing forthcoming expeditions abroad. That is what life is about, once you got it right, stick with it and above all, enjoy it.

If you get a kick out of chopping and changing then fine, but I am happy with what I have got and will stay with it.

Regards

Mick

Well that is a bit drama queenie to be honest.

I have run two Naim systems since the mid eighties and have no wish or intention to change because Naim does what I want in the sense that it is right at the top in terms of quality, longevity and above all, the ability to effortlessly communicate music.

Life is too short to be focussed on just one hobby, so once you have got something right in one part of your life, you move on to concentrate on something else.

I just received a batch of brilliantly mastered CDs by Ricki Lee Jones yesterday and spent the entire afternoon listening to the music and it was uplifting. Why the hell should I want to change that.

The evening was spent in an Italian restaurant noshing on good food with old friends discussing forthcoming expeditions abroad. That is what life is about, once you got it right, stick with it and above all, enjoy it.

If you get a kick out of chopping and changing then fine, but I am happy with what I have got and will stay with it.

Regards

Mick

Well said

Hi Abbydog

Can I ask what Audio Research combo you have. We have Sonus Faber Olympica 1 and over the last couple of years we have listened to and enjoyed Audio Research Ref 5SE and Ref 75. Recently we have a Ref 6/Ref 150SE combo and played it at the same time with our 552/Naim amps into the our Sonus Faber and with the Naim sources. It was a very good comparison, with more similarities and clear differences. Would be good to know your process when changing and rationale. Also how have you found reliability with the AR?

We have stayed with the Naim for good reasons, but interested to know what your rationale was. Audio Research is very good.

Thanks

I've not tried ARC products, partly because of their origin ($/£ fluctuations, importers, maintenance etc.) but I'm surprised that there was balance of similarities and differences.

I must admit that when I went from 135s to E.A.R. 509s there were fewer differences, but then again, these are considered to be the Naim of valved power amp's. However, replacing the 552 with the 912 wasn't any kind of balance at all; just totally different with every source. Maybe a bit 'larger than life', but highly entertaining nonetheless. The word 'neutral' became relegated to 'boring'. ( I exaggerate but you get the gist).

ARC amp's are considered to be rather 'upfront', but the 912 is definitely not recessive. Maybe the speaker (and room) is more key here, Devraj.

Hi Mike,

In our room and system we preferred the Naim 552, we tried the Ref 6/150 with the same sources and speakers. AR is very similar sounding, a more richer in the lower mid and blends well with the Sonus Faber. What made us keep our Naim's was a combination of sound, reputation, reliability and the sound and price differential was not so great. And we felt that the DR possibility and also that the Sound Fabers gave us the sound we wanted.

Thanks Devraj

advertisement

Back