advertisement

Pre Raspberry Pi delivery question please.

Cheers Del, thanks for that. It's about time I took your 24hr helpline number now I reckon :D

Don't be defeatist. Just be calm and methodical and visualise the delight you'll feel when the music starts and you say to yourself,
'How can that be?'
I've loved the computer audio journey and Ive become a bit of a computer nerd along the way. Not as bad as it sounds...Not long now...

I just still can't yet fathom how it'll all work. Probably be clearer when the kit arrives tomorrow.

For instance when I find a programme to connect my phone/tablet to the PI would I use Bluetooth or wifi to send it (Tidal) there? ie if I decided to use the PI on Ethernet I could still use wifi for the phone link?

Did you swear when you set yours up? My Mrs is dreading it :D

I just still can't yet fathom how it'll all work. Probably be clearer when the kit arrives tomorrow.

For instance when I find a programme to connect my phone/tablet to the PI would I use Bluetooth or wifi to send it (Tidal) there? ie if I decided to use the PI on Ethernet I could still use wifi for the phone link?

Did you swear when you set yours up? My Mrs is dreading it :D

Not Bluetooth. Just instructs your server to play music etc. I'm running mine with LMS at the moment just to familiarise myself with it.I suggest you send your Mrs to the Spa for the day whilst you work through this set up. And yes, there may be swearing. There is a Picoreplayer 3.10 thread on the Squeeze forum where the developers hang out and help people like us.

Try it with a digital output board from IQ audio or Hifiberry, I wasn't really impressed with the DAC boards, but since changing to a digi+ board and feeding it via coax into an external DAC I'm sold. Especially as its now supported by Roon. For the money its laughable how good it is.

Also available from MySqueezebox.com. Last year I helped a wammer to set up a Squeezebox Touch as a Tidal streamer, it's all he uses.

There is also the Ickstream plugin on LMS

Just as long as you know that you can't play any of tidals newly encoded masters as MQA through this system you are buying in any way shape or form, if you wanted better tidal support I would have chosen the AURALiC Mini.

Just as long as you know that you can't play any of tidals newly encoded masters as MQA through this system you are buying in any way shape or form, if you wanted better tidal support I would have chosen the AURALiC Mini.

I think somebody's managed to set up a Touch with Edo and a Meridian Dac.Sure I've seen a photo on Roon forum.Might be wrong.

Try it with a digital output board from IQ audio or Hifiberry, I wasn't really impressed with the DAC boards, but since changing to a digi+ board and feeding it via coax into an external DAC I'm sold. Especially as its now supported by Roon. For the money its laughable how good it is.

Thanks guys once more, cheers Del.

Interesting what you say rallye666. I've ordered the IQ audio PI3 dac bundle.

I thought I had the choice of either streaming to my standalone dac or using the PI dac that comes with it. From what you say it seems I have to order up another board to achieve the former?

Also speaking to Gordon I asked about changing the IQauadio dac for the Dac pro, he said not to bother as I'll be well happy with the performance of the supplied DAC. Other blokes have also said it is excellent.

You did not rate yours, obviously for a good reason.

What did you compare it against? Was it very poor to your ears or just not as good as your standalone? Could settings affect the way it sounds?

For the price it's none risk anyway. I'm trying it solely to see if I can set it up and also because as I said earlier some chaps feeding it to high end kit are singing its praises. I'm fascinated how the verdict varies so much with this.

Should be very interesting, I'll certainly be telling it like it is when mine is set up;)

I think somebody's managed to set up a Touch with Edo and a Meridian Dac.Sure I've seen a photo on Roon forum.Might be wrong.

Yes sorry, if you use Roon then you are OK - there's the Roon 'additional' investment to make of course. A Squeezebox Touch with EDO won't work playing MQA without the assistance of Roon.

You will need the spdif board to connect to your dac but the dac board is pretty good for the money you just need that £300 psu to get the best out of it according to members of a certain other forum.

I tried a iFi psu thingy on mine made not a jot of difference to the disbelief/horror of some of that forums members.:)

I think it depends on how much you really want to hear a difference. I've sat with people listening to very expensive equipment telling me to listen to the difference that I cannot actually hear. It can be a bit embarrassing.

Well Kenny.You've either not received your bundle yet or you are at this very minute swearing and fiddling with software, cards and wires. Which one is it?

Del Del Del, great minds eh? I was just this second about to post after a swear filled afternoon :D No probs as the Mrs is at work though.

Right, Parcel was with next door when I arrived home this afternoon.

Unpacked it, went on to the IQaudio site and started to build it following their instructions. Very easy indeed, not a swear word:)

Then phase 2, I opened your instructions I copied off this thread and kindly posted by your good self.

I downloaded 3.10 PIcoreplayer tweaked for audio (there's a 3.11 by the way), and downloaded win32discmanager.........your instructions were fabulous.

Only tricky bit came trying to find its IP address off the router, I was over the moon it actually showed up on there to be honest. I eventually got its address.
I entered it in to the browser and low and behold it sent me to the ipcore player site, I payed a donation then run out of instructions Del :D

So far so good and a million thanks mate.

Next step now I hope! Cheers guys.

One other thing, it was ethernetted and powered up obviously but I had no USB cable plugged to it, any problem there?

Kenny. Magnificent job. You're next step will be to install and configure LMS. At the bottom of the Main Picorepage you will find four tabs.Press on the Beta tab then navigate to the LMS page using the tabs at the top of the page.Allow the process to complete. Then press Configure LMS. A scree will appear.I think you can bypass the MySquuezebox.com password and click next on the bottom right. You will reach another page then click setting at the bottom right. You will then reach settings.Go to Plug ins and find Tidal. Tick it and then install and restart server.Allow time to restart then go back to LMS settings.Go to advanced tab, click on Tidal, post username and password, click done. Next step is your remote if choice.Sorry for rush.got to take daughter swimming.Will see how your getting on in an hour or so.
Del

Haha, I won't I promise. I owe you a beer when this makes its first noise mate, seriously.

Many thanks for those latest instructions, It's a bugger I have to go out shortly myself but hope maybe to have a dabble later on tonight, I'm fascinated with the whole concept to be honest, good dark winter night plaything this is.

Again, huge thanks and I'll report back as soon as I've sorted the next phase.

Hoping to use an android phone or tablet as a remote by the way.

Have a great evening.

advertisement

Back