advertisement

Moving from Naim

As someone who has read (and perhaps even started...) many 'moving on from Naim' threads, I had a system broadly comparable to yours nine years ago.

I will quietly suggest that you might not know what you had until it's gone. I'd also suggest more specifically that the CDS3/555PS is an absolutely stonking source, and that's the bit I missed most of all.

Would also echo Disbeliever's point on the Supernait2. As a fit and forget solution it's a no brainer, especially if you need power.

I'd try listening to a few different systems including one based around studio monitors. See if you can demo a valve based system and maybe something like the Kii Three's.

If you have had it for 25 years why change?
I haven't changed my stuff since 1987, ok since the kids came I haven't had any spare money but I am happy with what I have.
If you take your old system lets say its worth £100 and spend another £80 will it be £80 better or just different?

If you have had it for 25 years why change?
I haven't changed my stuff since 1987, ok since the kids came I haven't had any spare money but I am happy with what I have.
If you take your old system lets say its worth £100 and spend another £80 will it be £80 better or just different?

Some people like changing things - wives, cars, houses, sexual orientation. Others not!

If you do just fancy different presentation, you could always switch speakers, get something supplement musical like Arcs.

still have my sia-025 and have no plans to change for the foreseeable future

I'll deffo demo that when I'm ready to upgrade. Need to wait a year as the Mrs wants a kitchen first. Only thing I'd worry about is power rating, although reviews say to ignore it

I was in a similar position this time last year, 20 years of Naim ownership- CDS3, 252, 300.
During the golden age of the WigWam I heard many fine systems, but none that ever made me question my continued Naim ownership, but there was always that nagging doubt that there must be something else.

Fast forward to now and the Naim is gone and replaced by a Devialet Expert 400. I was not bowled over by a 200 (previous version to the 220 you have heard), the magic only happened by doubling them up into mono block version. I think there is plenty of similarity between the Devialet and Naim house sound - YMMV.
My advice would therefore be to hear a 440 set up.

My Naim peaked at CDS/52/250 and SBLs. Sold the lot to buy some wonderful guitars then sold those and started back on the Naim treadmill. Now using Teddy Pardo amps with NVA speakers. I changed simply because I found something I liked more than Naim (which I never thought would happen).

If you want to buy new then Teddy and NVA both offer sale or return so at least you get to try in your own home. The speakers need a bit of setting up (nothing new there) and they seem "odd" at first due to the upward firing bass driver. Once you get them in focus you are rewarded with music my Naims only hinted at. These are 2 superb manufacturers who offer some excellent value for money. They have also pretty much killed the upgrade bug.

Well worth considering.

How about buying some Schiit?

Schiit Yggdrasil DAC
Schiit Freya Pre
Bryston Power: 2x 2.5B3 or 1x 4B3 or wait for Schiit Vidar
All the above connected via balanced XLR

I understand, on a deeply personal and emotional level, the "I have to get off naim" thing. I get it, it's like a phase, a right of passage, for some a new era in their lives.

That being said, there is never any reason to own a Bryston.

Have you given Rega a try, has plenty of soul.

Good shout.
I had a listen to an Osiris - very good but not up to 252/300 level to my ears.
We all hear it different - use the search facility and theres someone replacing a 552 fronted system with an Osiris.

Hi all,

I'm probably selling my Naim gear soon, I have 252/Supercap(DR), 300, CDS3, 555PS (DR) and I want to try something new (I've had Naim for about 25 years now and I feel that it's time for a change). I've heard the Devialet 220 Pro Expert recently (although only briefly) and also a Vitus integrated amp (the RI-100) and both units were really good although I thought the Devialet was slightly cold sounding...it was engaging but lacked a bit of soul. The Vitus was really good but I would need to add a DAC to it (eventually) so that makes it quite pricey. In addition different speakers cables and interconnects will be required so that adds to the cost...having said that I will obviously sell my Naim I/C's, speaker cables etc.

Has anyone experienced either of the amps mentioned and if so any thoughts on them? It would be interesting to hear from ex Naim users who have taken the plunge and jumped ship.

Many thanks

PS At a later stage I will be looking to buy a streamer/server (or just a server)...has anyone heard the Innous Zenith MK.11?

I haven't read all responses here. You may consider getting a non-Naim integrated if you want to have a different listening experience. In that way you don't need to sell your Naim gear. It wouldn't be too much of a hassle to switch between amplifiers if it's a one-box integrated. Another alternative is a different bookshelf speaker where you can always swap in and out whenever you crave for a different sound.

I was a Naim user for 20 years, ending with 52/supercap/135's into Obelisks but have now moved on to NVA amps with their Cube speakers. I can only say the music just flows and and cannot see me ever changing. If you must spend mega bucks, Vitus and VTL would be my recommendations for amps, but why?

I was a Naim user for 20 years, ending with 52/supercap/135's into Obelisks but have now moved on to NVA amps with their Cube speakers. I can only say the music just flows and and cannot see me ever changing. If you must spend mega bucks, Vitus and VTL would be my recommendations for amps, but why?

Which NVA amp do you own? I have owned the NVA AP70 integrated for a very brief period and it was very nice. It was better than my separates costing three times more as it better matched my Harbeth speakers at that time. And the interesting part is the Nait XS replaced the NVA AP70 in the same system.

The choice is very much dependent on system matching and musical preference. I note that the Naims and NVA amps were used on different speakers in your system which had evolved through time.

Time really flies. I have been using Naim for 9 years now and it didn't feel like I have had them for that long. Most amps usuallly do not last more than 5 years in my system. I can still recall the day I got the Harbeth SHL5s (about 8 years ago) as I did some crazy amp swapping at that time to make the speakers work. I tried not less than half a dozen amps with the Harbeth in the first two years and that was when I discovered Naim. From Nait XS to the NAC 202 / NAP 200 and now the NAC 282, Hicap DR and NAP 250 DR driving the latest Harbeth SHL5 Plus. I suspect this system may very well outlive me. I still have the NAC 202 and NAP 200 in a second system. Somehow I cannot seem to let them go, not just yet.

I am using NVA P50 pre and A60 power amp into Cube 3's. I never tried these amps into the Obelisks or the Naim amps into the Cubes. With the NVA system I just listen to the music and can do so for longer, with the Naim system although enjoyable I now realise it was a short term hit.

My two cents would be the JOB PRE2 & 225 or maybe even the Integrated. These amps are amazing, regardless their (low) price.

Just to provide some balance on the NVA vs NAIM posts - I replaced my NVA P50sa pre and A60 combination with a NAIM SuperNAIT and found it to be better in every way. That was driving Linn Ninkas so maybe they weren't a great match for the NVA...

advertisement

Back