advertisement

Pre Raspberry Pi delivery question please.

kennyh

pfm Member
So, ordered the PI3 bundle, I believe this has got wifi and Bluetooth.

Swotting up frantically before it comes a lot of info. seems to say it still needs connecting to an Ethernet connection.
This poses a slight problem as my router is firmly lodged in the corner of the "junk room", a place nobody dare's go :D

It's going to be a right PITA sitting in there trying to fettle the little bugger, is this my first Raspberry problem ?lol

Del, I hope you are standby:D

Swotting up frantically before it comes a lot of info. seems to say it still needs connecting to an Ethernet connection.
This poses a slight problem as my router is firmly lodged in the corner of the "junk room", a place nobody dare's go :D

It's going to be a right PITA sitting in there trying to fettle the little bugger, is this my first Raspberry problem ?lol

Don't worry.I'm here. Though I have a Pi running on wifi in the kitchen, it's not the best most reliable connection. I use a home plug.It sends the signal through your household wiring.Very effective and more stable than wifi. T p link and develo do good ones. £20 should get you a decent single ported plug. There are plenty on eBay.

No expert here, but I managed to get mine up and running by creading a bootable SD card on my Mac for whatever operating system I wanted (I've tried Ubuntu Mate and Raspberrian so far) and then booting the Pi with it and connecting it to my wi-fi at that point.

I love the idea of the Pi, but I've yet to think of anything I really want to use it for! It is just sitting around doing nothing until I figure that bit out!

love the idea of the Pi, but I've yet to think of anything I really want to use it for! It is just sitting around doing nothing until I figure that bit out!
Same here had one complete with spdif and dac boards for a month to see what the fuss was about. It didn't do anything or sound any better than what I already had so flogged it on.

No expert here, but I managed to get mine up and running by creading a bootable SD card on my Mac for whatever operating system I wanted (I've tried Ubuntu Mate and Raspberrian so far) and then booting the Pi with it and connecting it to my wi-fi at that point.

I love the idea of the Pi, but I've yet to think of anything I really want to use it for! It is just sitting around doing nothing until I figure that bit out!

I've got mine attached to a Screen with Picoreplayer and Jivelite.I use it as a nice visual Roon Endpoint. I love it and it sounds great through my Dac. The second Pi is sending tunes to my Boombox in the kitchen as a wireless Endpoint. They're great little engines for musical satisfaction.

Same here had one complete with spdif and dac boards for a month to see what the fuss was about. It didn't do anything or sound any better than what I already had so flogged it on.

I'm a bit of a computer geek so I just love what it is and what it represents, but I just don't need it as I have a really nice MacBook Pro etc. The thing that makes me giggle is a Pi 3 is actually about the same power as the high-end professional DEC Alpha and IBM RS/6000 Unix boxes that I so aspired to back in the early '90s! It really is an astoundingly powerful little computer for £30 plus a memory card and should really bring IT to pretty much everyone on the planet, e.g. the third world could run on these little wonders. I just plan to keep mine as a spare little Unix box. Quite fancy grabbing a BBC Microbit to see what that is about too.

With something like Moode you just need an ethernet connection for the initial setup, after that wifi is fine, or, as someone else suggested, use a broadband extender - I use one for the bedroom, which is a bit of a wifi dead spot in my house.

I'm a bit of a computer geek so I just love what it is and what it represents, but I just don't need it as I have a really nice MacBook Pro etc. The thing that makes me giggle is a Pi 3 is actually about the same power as the high-end professional DEC Alpha and IBM RS/6000 Unix boxes that I so aspired to back in the early '90s! It really is an astoundingly powerful little computer for £30 plus a memory card and should really bring IT to pretty much everyone on the planet, e.g. the third world could run on these little wonders. I just plan to keep mine as a spare little Unix box. Quite fancy grabbing a BBC Microbit to see what that is about too.

I don't have a really nice MacBook Pro so this will suffice, just an adequate HP Windows machine that's too noisy to be a player. For a budget minded CA audio nerd like me who enjoys tinkering it's the perfect addition and does the job of much more expensive ancillaries extremely well.

The Pi also has inbuilt wifi but you need to set up through internet before you can make it wireless. Worth a try I suppose but Ethernet will be more reliable.

I don't have a really nice MacBook Pro so this will suffice, just an adequate HP Windows machine that's too noisy to be a player. For a budget minded CA audio nerd like me who enjoys tinkering it's the perfect addition and does the job of much more expensive ancillaries extremely well.

So you are using yours as a streamer? What is your Pi build?

So you are using yours as a streamer? What is your Pi build?

See post 5. Lovely software on a Pi 3 b. I have tried this a couple of years ago but found the original Pi B I had unreliable.The new Pi 3 b appears much better suited to audio. I installed Picoreplayer 3.11 with Jivelite enabled . You can also run LMS on the Pi so it becomes a server player. I love it. Try it.

What do you intend to install on the rpi3?

Thanks very much guys for the input once more.

In answer to what I'm going to put on it I shall be following Del's very kind advice and hope to install ipcoreplayer then winimager and take it from there.

I ordered the "bundle" which includes the IQAUDIOI dac from the aforementioned guy.

My goal is to stream Tidal through it, using an android Galaxy as a remote.
I hope to get the streaming sorted first then maybe play with the dac. It will be interesting to test it against the MDAC, some say it will easily match it, although some aren't convinced. It will be interesting to find out.

As I said on another thread I know someone who has sold a highly thought of and not inexpensive dac in favour of this set up. I thought for the money involved it is not a kings ransom to at least try it.

I didn't know you were playing with one too Tony. I'll probably not get a sound out of the bugger but at least I can say I've tried one...........then hand over a fistful full of cash in a hifi shop to buy a proper streamer :D

Thanks again lads.

One plugged into the mains near your router and connected to the router by an ethernet cable, the other plugged next to your system and connected to the Pi by an Ethernet cables. You usually get cables with the plugs.

I can get the router one via the wall but short of wall sockets behind the hifi.

I have one of mine in an adapter near the router but it hasn't been a problem. Not best practice though but I also have few sockets to play with.

We can only try it Del. Thanks mate.

Shame, as I was hoping its wifi would be enough to set it up and run it.

advertisement

Back