advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110100)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John, I came across this:

If you watch from 15mins you'll see some of your work being discussed....You even get credited with owning PFM (nobody tell TonyL)...:)
Oh yes thank heavens we have someone who sells fancy usb cables to demystify computer audio.

Last edited by a moderator:
John, I came across this
Worth a watch for the comedy factor, thanks. :) I haven't seen it in its entirety, but it sums up a lot of what "audiophiles" consider "good practices".
He doesn't seem to quite know the underlying technology, otherwise he would have known (from the short segment I watched) that
  • SATA uses p2p topology and one controller can natively handle multiple drives just fine, it has dedicated circuitry for each, it's not acting like a port multiplier (a.k.a. SAS expander), so any delays, ATA command timeouts, etc., don't propagate between drives ... otherwise servers around the world would have a tough time
  • USB is quite similar in this regard, at least in the fact that you can have multiple devices connected to multiple controllers without sharing the allocated bandwidth (my 2010 desktop has 2xUSB2 + 2xUSB3 controllers ... the suggestion that you need to use a different interface (Thunderbolt) is just stupid
... and those were just 5 minutes.

edit: To be more specific - anything is possible with today's chips from China, as I discovered, from non-standard behaviour to outright breaking the documentation of the chip itself. But the general point stands - the fact that I get sick from important "audiophile" figures suggesting stupid things because it makes sense to their "analogue" thinking. Sure, EMI is a thing and even though all bits are the same, the DAC'd signal might not be, but telling people they need NAS when a local drive would better suit their needs is just silly. And the even more silly thing is that people believe it. Sigh.

[*]USB is quite similar in this regard, at least in the fact that you can have multiple devices connected to multiple controllers without sharing the allocated bandwidth (my 2010 desktop has 2xUSB2 + 2xUSB3 controllers ... the suggestion that you need to use a different interface (Thunderbolt) is just stupid
[/list]
... and those were just 5 minutes.

Yes, this seemed a bit strange to me. He said it will transmit errors as the data traffic on the hub clashes...I don't think sales of USB-hubs have not been affected by this.

And the even more silly thing is that people believe it.

It's called 'alternative facts'.
People create their own reality.
But, I agree, sad

Cheers,
Johan

PS On the other hand, you cannot blame them for their stupidity. It's their universe and they believe in it.

(Sorry, got a bit carried away there)

Going though the list you have to ask why some of these are re-released in MQA - like is there really a need for Madonna's "Like a Virgin" in MQA?

Over the years I've realised that others' musical tastes don't match my own. I no longer query others' musical tastes, I simply try to avoid or filter out the music I don't want to listen to, and indulge in the music that I do.

If someone's going to make a buck because the punters want to stream Like a Virgin, then that's fine by me

With regards mqa, and not wanting to start or continue an mqa discussion in this thread, if it's truly correcting for anomalies in the input/recording chain, then I can't see why that's bad.

Let it do that, and leave it doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back