advertisement

Phono stages.

Cheers, dzeikei.

I'm happy with the IOS and have no plans to swap it for another phono stage, but it seemed odd that so few people mention it given the number of Rega fans here.

Joe
No problem. It is a nice phono stage so no reason to change it if you like it. I had mine for 6 or 7 years so I have to say I like it too. The new Rega Aria is also a nice phono stage and the price is quite reasonable too. It does not have the resolution of the stages that cost double or triple the price of Aria but it is does have very entertaining sound still. A bit more weight in the bass compared to Ios but still upfront and pacy sound.

dzeikei,

I've had an IOS in my system for at least five years, so it's safe to say I'm happy with it, too. I don't seem to be getting the upgrade itches I once got -- maybe it's age, maybe it's because the system sounds decent enough -- but even if I did the stages that people talk about on pfm are rarely available in Canada, or at least my corner of it.

My local guy has been stocking very expensive stages for a few years now, but the prices are stratospheric -- e.g., the Audio Research Reference Phono 2 SE for $17k Cdn, a Burmester stage (I forget the model) for even more.

The next step up from an IOS here is about the price of a small Honda or Toyota.

Joe

Vertere have now answered that the Phono 1 should work well with a "well designes passive preamp."

I've written Vertere several times asking about the Phono 1's output impedance and ability to drive poweramps with passive linestages. Unfortunately they havent answered...

Vertere have now answered that the Phono 1 should work well with a "well designes passive preamp."

That's meaningless unless they state what "well designed" means. It seems, reading between the lines, that it might have a high output impedance and therefore needs a buffered preamp with a highish value pot. Speculation unless they can provide a specific output impedance. If they can't, or won't, I'd walk away. Their specifications give everything you'd want to know except the output impedance which may be by design or may be an oversight. If it is a low output impedance design, then it ought to work well into any preamp and have sufficient drive. The gain figures are what you'd expect, so don't present any problems but that output impedance figure is required, especially for those using low value pots, passives or anything else that it may not drive well.

I now have had a little time with the new Vertere Phono 1 comparing it to the Trilogy 906 and will start a new thread on this and also take into account many other phono stages for some perspective.

I now have had a little time with the new Vertere Phono 1 comparing it to the Trilogy 906 and will start a new thread on this and also take into account many other phono stages for some perspective.

Any conclusions yet?

Another recommendation for the Whest ps.30.rdt se, fed by a Dynavector XV1S into a 252DR/SCDR/300DR. I had a ps.30.r for a few years, but the rdt.se is quite a step up. For a while I've been convinced by the merit of spending a good amount on the phono stage, the clarity and detail obtained from looking after the tiny wigglies is money well spent.

Another recommendation for the Whest ps.30.rdt se, fed by a Dynavector XV1S into a 252DR/SCDR/300DR. I had a ps.30.r for a few years, but the rdt.se is quite a step up. For a while I've been convinced by the merit of spending a good amount on the phono stage, the clarity and detail obtained from looking after the tiny wigglies is money well spent.

I have had the Whest PS.30 RDT SE for many years. Great phonostage. Contemplating upgrade to Whest PS.40 RDT SE or even TiTan Pro...

^^^

It's very good indeed but am going to do further comparisons with a Kiseki Purple cartridge. The Purple Heart is a firm favourite of mine.

I will report back in a week or so.

I think the new Vertere Phono 1 and Trilogy 906 are both superb for the money.

I had both the Vertere Phono 1 and Trilogy 907 in my system recently although not at the same time. I ended up with the 907, but I could very happily live with the Phono 1.

I have had the Whest PS.30 RDT SE for many years. Great phonostage. Contemplating upgrade to Whest PS.40 RDT SE or even TiTan Pro...

Go for the Pro John- significantly better than the RDT SE in my room. Paired with DV Xv1-s....
ATB,
Mark

Saw this and thought I'd say two things.

1. The Nagra BPS was good - i owned one for a number of years. Annoyingly I always used to forget to switch it off - dead battery syndrome!

2. Similar to new guitars, whilst it (and many others) get all the detail and the notes are perfect, what's lacking is emotion, texture, the tone that ultimately gives you greater pleasure and enjoyment. Isn't that what music is all about?

In my experience, and having borrowed one and lived with it for a few weeks, my recommendation would be the Tron Convergence. £1000 for a top notch MC phono stage. Yes I know I'd recommend Tron as I have Tron amps, etc - but if it was pants, I'd say so. I spend my money wisely. If I was in the market for a £1000 phono amp - this would be the one.

See this review.

http://topoxforddoc.zenfolio.com/blog/2015/4/hi--fi-review---tron-convergence-phono-stage

And the product itself.

http://www.tron-electric.co.uk/phono-amplifiers/convergence-phono-stage/
I'm saving for a Tron 😄

One of the reasons I bought my PS.30 RDT SE was after hearing yours, that and James offered me one of the last 10 built for an absolute bargain price.

Go for the Pro John- significantly better than the RDT SE in my room. Paired with DV Xv1-s....
ATB,
Mark

Hi Mark. Before Whest, weren’t you using a Urika? Would be interested to hear how Whest compares to it and other phono stages you've tried or owned.

Should I ever decide to move on from the Superline, Whest would be at the top of my list to audition. Thanks!

advertisement

Back