advertisement

Phono stages.

I tried two different Superlines and found them similarly disappointing (the second one I tried twice). I didn't try any of them with a Superline though, just a Hi-Cap, and I have heard that this makes a significant difference - but hen it should given the cost! I have used Z foils for cartridge loading for some time now and whilst I do think they have somthing to offer I don't think they would have overcome the issues I had with the Superline regarding dynamic and tonal contrast. I should say I didn't experience any hum or earthing issues though.

When I owned one I ran it quad railed from supertedy regs, it sounded lacklustre and lacking in the mids. Was super easy to get it to motorboat and to pick up radio. I kept it for a few months then went back to a split railed prefix with a number of mods.

I found salvation in diy.

apparently these are no longer produced owing to illness (of the manufacturer) so if you want to try one, second hand is the way to go.

Or build a Phonoclone kit, they are excellent - beat my Linto by a big margin, highly recommended.

Martin

My favourite phono stage - TRON Seven Reference, built to match my Decca C4E (rebuilt by John Wright).

This gets pretty close to playing a 15 IPS master tape. It's not as good, but it's a very good attempt to match it. (I have a number of albums, where I own a 15 IPS 1/4 inch master tape and a decent LP version).

I love my Brinkmann Fein, paid less than £1000 for a used one and very happy with the results in my system. Very few around though so I had to be patient.

I'm pleased and surprised to see so much praise for the Tron Convergence here. Thought I was the only one who had one!

Before I got it I had a load of stages, purchased or on loan, ranging from the Arkless to a Trigon, Whest Two (replaced by a Tellurium Q) Parasound JC3, Tube Tech Mac, Vinyl One , Allnic 1201 and Vida.

The Tron doesn't suck out the most detail on instruments (1201 for that) or give the "biggest" sound (Vinyl One) but it is a dynamic, very natural stage which has been more than good enough to reveal the different characteristics of carts I have used. It certainly handles big orchestral crescendos better than the 1201, and has as good control of things as the Vinyl One. Compared back to back with the Vida, my notes are full or things like "air" and "space" in favour of the Convergence, with the Vida having a bit drier quality to it.

It's not perfect. Mine is MC only, and is based on a non-configurable 1:10 step up with consequently a fixed 470 ohm input impedance (I think!). So it won't suit those who like to play about with loading. And I'd love to hear an MM version with the S&B TX 103 I now have sitting on a shelf (anyone willing to loan one?). But I have to say that it offers an awful lot for a 1k stage. And I've yet to see one second hand, which must say something!

For the record at least 20 Convergence phono stages have been sold in the UK so far, and at least twice that number again have been exported around the world with almost no advertising.
The reality is that there is nothing made to this level of quality and performance for the price.

That's probably true of retailed phonostage with the usual dealer markup. To say there's nothing made to that level of quality and performance in absolution, however, is a little wide of the mark.

That's probably true of retailed phonostage with the usual dealer markup. To say there's nothing made to that level of quality and performance in absolution, however, is a little wide of the mark.

I said "there is nothing made to this level of quality and performance for the price". I researched the market for £1K phono stages and there is nothing like the Convergence phono stage.

The £1k phono stage is very competitive. I had a World Designs Phono 3 with PSU 3 before; that's a very competent unit, which can be tweaked to improve the performance. There are a number of highly rated units around, which will have their devotees.

When I listened to the TRON Convergence, I was really surprised how good it was. Had I not already purchased a TRON Seven Reference, I would have bought the Convergence. That is not to say that the Seven is so-so, because it is one of the best high end phono stages available. But I was astonished as how close the Convergence was for the money.

For people who want to change cartridges and loading regularly, or if you want MM and MC switching, choose something else. But if you want a high quality MM only or MC only unit, then do have a listen to the Convergence and let your own ears decide. You may not like it, or you might. That's the great thing about this hobby - and I am delighted that we have so many UK manufacturers offering excellent products.

I have just borrowed a Trilogy 906 MM/MC phono stage and it is truly excellent. To my ears it's the best I've heard below £1K by a fair margin.

Heard a Trilogy 906 recently when buying a new turntable - it was really excellent. Quiet, detailed and very musically satisfying. I want one!

Kit Ryan phono boards are astonishing. You will be very hard pressed to find something better at ANY money... You need Naim 32 or 72 preamplifiers(or Kit's pre) and Naim compatible PSU to use them. Personally I use Naim 32.5/Hicap with Z152 boards only, i.e.
preamp is configured as pure phono stage with output taken from TAPE-OUT and with jumpers instead of tape-out buffer boards. Simply put - phenomenal!

I have been trying out the Puresound P10 phono. It has really hit the spot- I have found myself wanting to listen more often and for longer periods of time.

I have the 906, it's very good indeed though we are about to trial the new Vertere Phono 1 which is reputedly breaking new ground at the £1K price point, I will report back in due course.

For the record at least 20 Convergence phono stages have been sold in the UK so far, and at least twice that number again have been exported around the world with almost no advertising.
The reality is that there is nothing made to this level of quality and performance for the price.

Don't know if you can still buy one but the Arkless Turbo thing has to be up there.

advertisement

Back