advertisement

diyAudio group buy Paradise R3 phono stage boards

Finally got round to starting to assemble a new power supply based on Simons new boards,
I opted for 22v-0-22v transformers because of the big inductors and resisters dropping voltage when loaded though I may have to play arround with the power resistors to drop to a suitable voltage for the Paradise boards
Its going to be tight but I should be able to shoehorn everything into one power supply case
I'm going to build this as a separate supply to my present supply so I can compare the difference. Means I will have to build a new umbilical so I can do a quick change :)

IMG_2893 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Alan

1 series resistor of 15 ohm plus the coils, replacing your current second resistor, should be spot on.

I've heard a number of Paradise powered by Simon's power supply boards now and they really do sound excellent. Not quite the same as the one I use which is the one oriogpnaly designed for it, but certainly no worse and I can see some actively prefering Si's.

Not directly linked, and somewhat irrelevant now given the increasing rarity of Paradise circuit boards, but well over a year later I am still absolutely loving my Paradise phono and it has significantly raised my enjoyment of listening to music at home. Even after many, many years of listening to 'high-end' audio systems it still regularly surprises me with its level of insight, subtlety and communication.

I've had my Paradise built by Simon in June 2015 and it's absolutely stonking! So much better than my previous phono stage which incidentally was no slouch...... a Whest Audio 30R. The Paradise is in another league and Simon did a great job on the build.

Regards,

Martin

Cheers gents, I have one languishing at 90% completion. Sadly with the none availability of Andrews cases it may well stay that way for the foreseeable...

In theory, because time is the issue, I could build you a full acrylic case a bit like the half acrylic case(s) I've built for mine (does look very cool).

1 series resistor of 15 ohm plus the coils, replacing your current second resistor, should be spot on.
Si Your boards are really nice thanks
I planned to use a 20ohm 1% Dale power resistor and the 158T hammond but with my mains being 253VAC it could still be a little high so I may have to play around with loading

Alan

In the original pcb design there's a 10r after the choke. It was CLCR, 10000uf choke 10000uf 10r

Ideally you want c 39v at the output of the psu unloaded. That'll give you 25-26v under load.

With my boards my preference at 245v is 10000uf 15r 10000uf choke 10000uf. That'll give you c 26v, with your high mains I'd try for 20-25r as the loading resistor. If you think you'll need more let me know I have 30 and 50 ohm 20 watt caddocks going begging.

Shoot my your postal and ill get a couple of sets to you.

In the original pcb design there's a 10r after the choke. It was CLCR, 10000uf choke 10000uf 10r

Ideally you want c 39v at the output of the psu unloaded. That'll give you 25-26v under load.

With my boards my preference at 245v is 10000uf 15r 10000uf choke 10000uf. That'll give you c 26v, with your high mains I'd try for 20-25r as the loading resistor. If you think you'll need more let me know I have 30 and 50 ohm 20 watt caddocks going begging.

Shoot my your postal and ill get a couple of sets to you.

Simon
Thanks very much for the offer but I think I am OK now when I said my mains was 253v thats what it has been for years but I checked it yesterday and it was 242V and today its 244VAC so I think they must have done something at the substation ?
Anyway I have 38vDC unloaded I have wired this one up CRCLC using a 20 Ohm 25W 1% dale resistor bolted to the base plate and the 158T Hammonds.
When I was talking about loading resistors I meant across the phases to ground so there is a constant current drain
Ive noticed where I have a 2.2K resistor with the LED on the Negetive side the output is running at 35.5VDC and a 20ma drain

This is it wired up and bolted to the base plate
IMG_2908 by Alan Towell, on Flickr
IMG_2910 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Alan

I put the new power supply in its case today and finished off the wiring.
Sounding excellent already, soundstage is wider voices sound more natural and dynamic contrast is greater.
Hopefully there is more to come :)
I have 25VDC to the paradise input and 18v 0 18v to both amp boards
Certainly a worthwhile mod over my standard power supply
Thanks to Simon for taking the time to get those new boards produced.

IMG_2945 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

IMG_2949 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Alan

Nicely done Alan. Si's boards and the choke supply certainly make a worthwhile improvement over a standard CRCRC supply.

advertisement

Back