advertisement

MQA arrives on Tidal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seanm,

Someone has had the idea of reviving the other MQA thread, to allow the discussion about the "behind the scenes" processes to go over there.

I'd be happy to get anyones take on the new Tidal service, but perhaps from the perspective of having tried it and get some experiences here?

Chris

Yes, interested in hearing about people's experiences too - but I also want to hear from people who have some insight into what might be behind those experiences, and some ideas about the broader significance of all of this. Can't separate the experiential from the theoretical IMO:)

Yes, interested in hearing about people's experiences too - but I also want to hear from people who have some insight into what might be behind those experiences, and some ideas about the broader significance of all of this. Can't separate the experiential from the theoretical IMO:)

Seanm,

I guess I'd like to get the insight into the theory from someone who has also experienced what they are theorising about, rather than being told "it's probably EQ" or some variant of that which I think people who've experienced it would agree is unlikely.

Chris

FYI, new albums still appearing. Listening to Astral Weeks by Van Morrison now... it has never sounded better IMO.

Chris

I did check CPU usage when listening to Spotify premium on my iPhone, and Tidal's above albums. CPU usage was pretty much identical, thus indicating the files on iPhone and iPad are not the ones on the OSX App as it uses up to 20% on my Mac pro when playing the studio files.
That makes sense, software decoding MQA payload, then the unfolding and filtering will use a lot of cpu cycles. Turning MQA decode on and off could have all manners of side effects

FYI, new albums still appearing. Listening to Astral Weeks by Van Morrison now... it has never sounded better IMO.

Chris

Chris, that doesn't surprise me. Not only a fine album but a superbly recorded album.

I'm thinking Tidal are being very clever here. All the albums I've seen mentioned would fall into the "well recorded" category.

How many albums are available as masters so far?

Anyone get 88.2-96K to light up on the Rega DAC (1st Gen)? I'm playing Astral Weeks in Master quality with exclusive mode enabled over optical from my MacBook and only getting 24 bit/48K.

Anyone get 88.2-96K to light up on the Rega DAC (1st Gen)? I'm playing Astral Weeks in Master quality with exclusive mode enabled over optical from my MacBook and only getting 24 bit/48K.

You need an MQA enabled DAC to get the full MQA master, whatever that might be.

using chrome still cant see masters .what am I doing wrong .full membership paid thanks

As per post 161, It won't work in Chrome either - the browser version doesn't support it. You need to download the Tidal application and install it.

Go here...

http://tidal.com/gb/download

...and it's the left hand "PC+Mac" icon you want.

Hope this helps get things working for you.

Chris

Funny as I stated to a mate on here yesterday, all the MQA albums have a similar sound sig to them. Then someone quotes a chap from Meridian stating all MQA should sound like they have been recorded in the same room - I concur.

That seems a really weird quote to me. If I listen to recordings of orchestras made in different halls I expect and want them to sound like that orchestra in the specific hall. Not for all halls to sound like the "same room".

I used to often go to concerts when I lived in London. Venues like the RAH, South Bank, Maida Vale, etc. They all sounded quite different. I expect the same variations from recordings and broadcasts to give me the relevant "being there" feeling.

Have people forgotten that not all music is laid down one 'track' at a time by musicians wearing headphones in sound booths in a small studio?

Again, this makes me feel that MQA is being 'sold' to media companies as an "effect" which will get punters to pay again for what they have bought in the past.

Previous comments about the input end of MQA seem to be focussed on the ADC being what is defined and 'Authenticated'. That seems to have morphed into "the musos liked it and said it was OK". Now this "all in the same room"...

The more such quotes I read, the more blurred what they are claiming seems to become.

Would be interesting to capture the output with an ADC as a plain old PCM recording.

Then compare the sound of the recording with the MQA stream.

Might try it, if I decide I can trust Tidal with CC info.

Tim

re installed and its fine. can only see about 60 albums. fed into vega dac seems stable not sure thers any improvement

There still seems to be a confusion about whether the desktop app unpacks MQA at all (or at least to a non- MQA dac.)
Aside from that it's nice to see people enjoying themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back