advertisement

panzerholz plinth?

karma67

pfm Member
i have a pioneer early 70's direct drive tt,i have just made a tonearm board from panzerholz,the stock one was plywood,ive tried solid ebony and really prefer over the 3 the panzerholz.

this has got me thinking what a plinth made in it would sound like.
the stock plinth is plywood sitting on a metal frame,see the cut away photo below.

kolk_1.jpg

what do you reckon fella's good idea or better leaving it alone?
i should add i used to be a cabinet maker and antique restorer so making/veneering isnt a problem for me.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. As long as you don't bugger up the old plinth I can't see a problem.

Good enough for the German Enigma machine cases, what could possibly go wrong.

As a fellow cabinet maker though I hear it very quickly blunts your tooling when working with it.. love to play with some.

Have you thought of trying Corian ? not as organic though.

Also handy for target practice..

http://www.ltlewis.co.uk/security.htm

Having heard a 401 in both corian and panzerholz plinths (as well as ply and slate) my preference was for corian.

Neither is cheap or easy to work, on balance for me I'd go heavier birch ply plinth, and detail with armboard material.

I'm intending to use Corian (predominantly) for the plinth of my new turntable - though it is quite a different design to that discussed here.

Corian or its alternatives are good materials for this sort of thing IMO. They are easy to machine but are a little abrasive to the CNC bits. Corian is however expensive and difficult to get hold of. Hi-macs on the other hand is manufactured by LG, is much cheaper, available from places off the shelf like James Latham's and is available in a much wider range of colours.

i may give corian a try then :) with all these different armboards im using its easy to loose sight of whats a natural sound and whats not. arghhhhhh! :)

Well if you need it CNCing I can quote you for that. I can get the Hi-macs as well if you go that route. Even if not it would be good to see progress.

Well if you need it CNCing I can quote you for that. I can get the Hi-macs as well if you go that route. Even if not it would be good to see progress.

Only in speaker baffles. It's basically the same stuff, dust in plastic! Sounded the same in the baffles.

Well I've just had a very constructive chat with James Latham's and I've got three small samples on the way. As you say, it is much more competitively priced (though still quite expensive). Thanks for the tip :).

I'm intending to use Corian (predominantly) for the plinth of my new turntable - though it is quite a different design to that discussed here.

There is someone on eBay selling Corian armboards and a Corian subchassis at what look like reasonable prices too!

Dust in plastic ... love it.

I thought MDF was some kind of dust bonded together with the juice of crushed ants..

Well I've just had a very constructive chat with James Latham's and I've got three small samples on the way. As you say, it is much more competitively priced (though still quite expensive). Thanks for the tip :).

Well as appointed by Her Majesty, and given the cost of repairs required to Buck Fizz Palace it aint going to be cheap is it.

There is someone on eBay selling Corian armboards and a Corian subchassis at what look like reasonable prices too!

Oh yes, I've just had a look at them, they seem nicely made. I wonder how the weight of the chassis compares to the Keel.

advertisement

Back