advertisement

The War You Don't See.

Maybe reduce platitudes and widen your circle of friends and associates?
Of course your perception of all the Jewish folks you've met could be wrong, and therefore you have a blind spot.

I have more than enough friends thanks Still and I'd rather remain true to myself an honest than prostitute myself in the pursuit of more.

As I said in pages past, I'm always open to being shown that I'm wrong and learning so no blind spot but you know that from previous posts. We are going round in circles.

I'm always open to being shown that I'm wrong and learning so no blind spot

Of course we can all be wrong, so surely we can all have blind spots?
I've found plenty of my own, and fully expect to find more (sooner or later).

We are going round in circles.

istm the discussion has been informative.

I'm comfortable with where I am thanks.

Good for you, but not for Jewish folks.

It has indeed. I now however "refer the honorable gentleman to the reply I gave earlier" :)

And yet, Mike, I'm a Jew that you have met. Incidentally, you're welcome to come to my home at any time, although I suggest we keep the conversation to health, bikes and hi-fi. Come and listen to my new hi-fi system in process.

I'm a Jew and every Jew you've met has 'a blind spot when it comes to Muslims or the Arab World in particular'. I would suggest that you might have a tiny blind spot when it comes to 'every Jew you've met'. Such generalisations are never true and never enlightened.

I'm an Aikido teacher so please feel free to attend any of my adult or children's classes. You might be surprised to learn that a high proportion of my students are Muslims and Arabs, including an Iraqi father and son whose family (the Al-Hakims) were second only to the Ayatollahs as Shiites in Saddam Hussein's Iraq.

Strange that these Muslims are happy to entrust their children to the care and teaching of a bigot like me.

Hi Steve - nice to see you back :)

If Steve doesn't post about his new hifi on pfm, I am going to try and develop a blind spot just for him.

ISTM the fundamental error is the assertion that the Jews are a 'race', especially as race is a social rather than a scientific construct. If I convert to Judaism, do I change my race as well as my religion? If Judaism is a race, what other races are there?

Good for you, but not for Jewish folks.

I am part Jewish.

A distant cousin did a thorough family search, apparently we were Russian Jews, imported here by Cromwell. One of my siblings when hearing this, never discussed it again. Another
will barely discuss it, the other was not surprised and thought we had many Jewish characteristics and that was the reason he had many Jewish customers as he could get along with them. I am the only sane one, and I do not care one way or the other.:)

Bloss

The OED thing seems to be the stumbling block. And this I don't really get. Because by the definition offered the cap would seem to fit.

If I convert to Judaism, do I change my race as well as my religion? If Judaism is a race, what other races are there?

You become a "Ger" Joe. Once a Ger always a Ger as I posted before. You are viewed by the Jewish community in much the same way that many uneducated white anglo saxons viewed those of mixed race for much of the last century.

A convert rather than a "pure breed" Joe.

Hence my amusement at the Jews on the forum accusing ME of being racist.

If anyone of the Jewish faith on PFM is going to be honest, then please confront the bigotry and discrimination displayed towards converts as being (quite literally) racism.

A convert rather than a "pure breed" Joe.

Hence my amusement at the Jews on the forum accusing ME of being racist.

If anyone of the Jewish faith on PFM is going to be honest, then please confront the bigotry and discrimination displayed towards converts as being (quite literally) racism.

You don't like Jews because they're racist?

I've not said that Sean. Your trolling technique needs work IMHO.

FWIW I've met quite a few Jews (especially Israeli Jews) that were perfectly comfortable with Arabs - spoke the language, worked with them, etc. IME Jews from Europe or the US often seem less comfortable.

As an example, many, many years ago I picked up 2 hitchhikers, an Israeli and a Brit, while driving from Cairo to Aswan. It was a long drive and we ended up spending a few days together visiting the south of Egypt. The Israeli was totally comfortable around Arabs, and most Egyptians seemed reasonably comfortable with him. There were a few signs of hostility (some people assumed we were all Israelis as we all had dark hair and spoke some Arabic) and it was interesting to see some of the reactions, but no major problem.

Things might be more difficult now, as tensions have increased a lot since that time. I haven't been back to Israel or the West Bank since the 90s, and have no particular desire to go to either.

Side note: multinational companies create situations that bring managers from different religions, nationalities, tribes etc. together, and force them to just get on with business under the umbrella of a "diversity" policy that leaves no room for expressions of racial or religious animosity. It works.

advertisement

Back