advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110100)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my M-DAC in no small part because of the XLR outputs on it, feeding an XTZ AP-100 through a fairly long (5m) cable run.

Balanced outputs, remote control, overall height (couldn't be too tall, wanted it on my computer desk with a monitor on top) and a good visible display were all huge factors to me.

Nowadays my priorities are a bit different (rack mounting, for one), but back when I bought the M-DAC it ticked all the right boxes in as small of a package as I could find.

Covered recently on the Mytek Brooklyn thread. Take away the mythology and what's left? Building electronics using traditional methods, like thatching roofs?

Adam, did you read the entire thread?

Even Mytek recommends an external linear supply as an upgrade, users report improved behaviour with it - so where's the myth actually?

The theory for modern, audio-optimised PSs reads fine, but listening results may still differ. I think that's John's position as well.

Cheers,
Achim

For those looking for a small DAC is XLR output important?

Depends what you want to do with it, and that's not meant to be cynical.

If you plan to use it with an amp with balanced inputs then maybe you would not buy it, if you plan to use it only for headphones then maybe you would not care… if you want it for a streamer then maybe the “inputs“ are more important than the outputs…

Even Mytek recommends an external linear supply as an upgrade, users report improved behaviour with it - so where's the myth actually?

The theory for modern, audio-optimised PSs reads fine, but listening results may still differ. I think that's John's position as well.

Cheers,
Achim
Yes, I did read through the thread, am well aware of Mytek's peculiar position and John's view, just as i am equally aware of the views of other designers.

Funny old world isn't it?

Cheers,
Achim

I don't think that there is any doubt that the quality of the PS is a very significant factor in relation to a well designed/implemented DAC. The interesting question concerns how you go about designing that high quality PS.

Hi John

I've only taken an interest in XLR recently because you have made it clear that RCA is not up to the job :)

Before that I thought XLR was just more clunky...and I'm not really a 'cables' believer (so far, XLR just comes across as louder in my system, but I don't have a FDAC to be sure, yet) ;-)

Thanks

Paul

I also followed John's advice on use of XLR and it was significantly better. Whether this is due to differences in the circuitry of the amp, or RF/ground noise which the XLR's cancel I don't know.

I wouldn't buy anything that doesn't use XLR's unless it was superior (given the choice at my budget)

I would say it depends on the definition of small and price point.

I think that most people that want small and relative cheap usually don't have amps with XLR input.

In a secondary system it is also OK with RCA only.

It really who the target group is and use case for this DAC.

Could this be the undisclosed project to be revealed @Munich?

Anyways, loosing track of FDAC's to be abilities.

Just received a Singxer SU-1 DDC. Connected to my current DAC and SQ improvements are there. The Singxer is able to output I2S through its HDMI port, will there be an I2S input port on the FDAC?

I would say it depends on the definition of small and price point.

I think that most people that want small and relative cheap usually don't have amps with XLR input.

In a secondary system it is also OK with RCA only.

It really who the target group is and use case for this DAC.

I agree. We are the converted, but most users just accept RCA as the norm.

If there is a volume control, then active speaker, studio monitor users will be more happy with XLR, I think, as they will not need to care about cable lenght.

Of course it is not the XLR connector but the differential input (and balanced connection) that is the real point. Avoids ground loops and other messy issues.

Life's just too short.
While I am still interested in MDAC2 (I have one untouched and one 'fusion' MDAC), I opted out long ago.
Looking at older posts with delivery dates is just depressing.

Cheers (Rochefort 10 atm),
Johan

Maybe, depends if any new projects come along before then.

The surprise Munich project, or ??

He Ho. I'm going to build some some new amps, because as a result of the time slippage the last 3 years had led me to the DIY audio camp where much progress has been made.

Moving on from class D Hypex N-Core, to class A/B not sure if it will bring much improvement to the synergy of my system but for 3/400 pounds it keeps my mind and soul occupied.

Surely, you'd be better off waiting to sign up for the Westlake VR amps?...:D

well the pcb's are going to fabbed over Christmas and then we can see whether
class A/B works better than N-Core class D with Quad ESL's.

I'll let you know if the Reality is Virtual or not....

As per my signature I am looking to sell my slot on the MDAC upgrade crowd funded project.

Current FDAC and Detox develop payments have been made.

Please PM if you are interested.

Thanks

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back