advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110100)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Linn (and others) have been using SMPSs in their streamers / amps for years to extremely good effect.

Agreed.....but I thought the main reason for Linn's adoption of SMPS decades ago was to save costs (increase profits) and to get a reliable source, I believe their torroid supplier went out of business around the same time....am I right in thinking this? Also I don't think Naim ever used SMPS. I wonder why?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Agreed.....but I thought the main reason for Linn's adoption of SMPS decades ago was to save costs (increase profits) and to get a reliable source, I believe their torroid supplier went out of business around the same time....am I right in thinking this? Also I don't think Naim ever used SMPS. I wonder why?

Naim !?? Wash your mouth out!

All these Chinese DACS looks good when you look at the spec sheet.
But so did all the SABRE 9018 variants and we know now that you can't judge based on the spec sheet alone.
So I find it pointless until we have the FDAC. Also to compare with the original MDAC or the newer MDAC+.
The FDAC is a different beast.

What I find interesting is the technical solutions various DACS have choosen to implement.

An example is the Benchmark DAC 3's hybrid gain control.
Which sounds like a nice feature if is works as advertised.

It will be interesting to see how the FDAC handles this.

But personally I don't care to much because I will use the FDAC with WestLake amps.

I take your point. On the other hand there is a fair amount of interest here re power supplies, so I figured it was justified rather than OT.

Perhaps you're right.

It would certainly be interesting to know JohnW's thoughts on this.

All these Chinese DACS looks good when you look at the spec sheet.

Yeah, I'm not interested in buying something that will compete with the FDAC - or even the MDAC2. I'm pretty confident in John's ability to make something that stands out and I'll like, but given the mystery surrounding timeframes I do want to have EQ and having a MiniDSP device just causes a drop in SQ so I want competent EQ inside the DAC and for it to be at least as good as the MDAC I have now in SQ terms.

It's my fears about downgrading combine with thinking I can wait 6 months that stop me pulling the trigger but now I suspect with a targeted date of May for Detox and MDAC2 that these will also slip and the FDAC will be more than a year away.

Yeah, I'm not interested in buying something that will compete with the FDAC - or even the MDAC2. I'm pretty confident in John's ability to make something that stands out and I'll like, but given the mystery surrounding timeframes...

Gustard DAC X20 not meant to compete with LakeWest products, just an interim solution! I've heard good things about it anyway ;-)

Maybe we should try other forms of superstition? Anyone good with tea leaves? :D

I like this idea.

Touching wood has been a long time superstition.
Let's bring this into the current context...

How about touching VFETs?
They're mythological devices - Has anyone ever touched VFET?
Did it give them eternal life?

I'm speculating on slippages and it's certainly possible and has been said that it'll be ready before - what we do know is John has said it'll deffo be shown at Munich with another project that hasn't been announced. BE718 expressed concern using those dates and wasn't corrected so it's not entirely clear, and I asked if it was accurate. No response to that. Presumably John is up to his elbows in work and managing the overheads of the project, so you gotta sympathise with that but hopefully he will acknowledge and set things straight.

BE718's post here

EDIT - LOL Misterdog :) Red, white and blue! She'll be the belle of the ball I imagine. Very popular out there, that one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back