advertisement

Who has heard the new Proac Tablette 10?

Jodet

pfm Member
It's a speaker I've been wanting Proac to make for thirty years - bigger than a tablette, sealed box, and sized exactly like an LS3/5a.

So.... anyone?

t1022.jpg

Oooh, very interesting. I've always really liked little ProAcs (I've owned Tablette 50 Sigs and Ref 8 Sigs). Without the port they could be something very special indeed. I know Stewart Tyler was playing around with a modern LS3/5A variant on eBay under the Celef brand a few months ago (I think it was basically ProAc drivers in a proper LS3/5A cab, e.g. with grilles etc). I guess this is the proper commercial version. I'd like to hear a pair sometime.

PS Great to see some choice in infinite baffle mini-monitors, from memory we now have the Falcon LS3/5A, the Stirling and Graham variants, the Harbeth P3ESR, Spendor S3/5R. Now imagine how cool it would be to stick something like this in a nice low-mass non-resonant cylindrical metal cabinet...

Sealed box - hallelujah!!!

Being a fan of titchy speakers, I'd be very keen to hear a pair of these.

Sealed box - hallelujah!!!

Being a fan of titchy speakers, I'd be very keen to hear a pair of these.

I've owned more LS35a's than I can remember (including Falcon - the best, IMHO), Spendors, Harbeths, all the contenders to the throne.

This is the most interesting model I've seen in a long time.

Looks really interesting ! Will defo go to hear them soon. Have owned the original tablettes, the tablette 50s and 1SCs in the past.

Fair price too compared to all the other ls3/5a reissues

I've not heard these but have owned both Tablette Anniversary and Response D1. To me Proac are music genre specific sounding great with rock pop and even jazz but I don't think they have the timbre, tonal richness or weight to convey the massed strings of an orchestra convincingly. They are great sounding speakers but nothing like Spendor, Harbeth or LS/35A in character and being infinite baffle I'd guess they have a lot let upper bass, the Anniversary is very good in this respect.

That's funny,...this week I also thought about starting a topic like this. (but forgot to do so)

I suddenly noticed these speakers last week on a Dutch HiFi store webpage, and also got very curious!
They look good, and I like the fact that finally there's a new speaker that might/should work close to a back-wall.

Here in Holland the Proac's price is more than 50% less, compared to the Falcon LS3/5a. (which imho is ridiculously priced at € 2750,- / pair)

The Falcon price is hugely annoying. I'm kicking myself for not buying a pair direct when they were on offer at £1250 I think. I'd love to have a nice pair of LS3/5As knocking about as it is one classic speaker I've never owned. I'm pretty close with my fully restored and rebuilt JR149s (Falcon B110s and T27s), but I'd love to spend time really comparing them. Very interested in the ProAc interpretation too, we need a proper infinite baffle mini-monitor shoot-out as there are so many interesting ones at present. I've not even heard the Spendor S3/5R yet and that one is years old!

What I'd love them to do is a larger monitor, roughly the size of the D2 or preferably a bit bigger, but using the carbon fibre woofer that they have on the D30R and 40R, and also a sealed box.

I think that Proac's mix of carbon woofer and ribbon works superbly. I notice they've also got a new version of the D30R, the D30S, which seems to be an incremental change. I just really wish they'd use the carbon fibre in the smaller models.

yes me, at the Milan hiend show last month or so.
Driven by Bryston, I liked them a lot.
I do believe the response line is due to a revision, hopefully after DB1 and 30R will see the same bass driver for the 20's and maybe d2's?.

am at a loss, and truly curious - what is this love affair with sealed box standpoint speakers? is this something particular to Britain/Europe....just find it "peculiar" that over here in States, there is not a shared affinity to the scale I experienced first hand when I was living in London.

The sealed box approach (acoustic suspension) was essentially an American design and was once hugely popular in Advent, Infinity et al speakers. There are some very real advantages to such an approach, which in some instances outweigh all the disadvantages.

I'm surprised that ProAc decided to designate this new speaker as a Tablette as it seems such a departure from the historic design philosophy (and materials).
Intriguing though and I'm looking forward to hearing a pair whenever the opportunity arises.

am at a loss, and truly curious - what is this love affair with sealed box standpoint speakers? is this something particular to Britain/Europe....just find it "peculiar" that over here in States, there is not a shared affinity to the scale I experienced first hand when I was living in London.

Also has something to do with the fact that most British living rooms are much smaller than in the US and small speakers, including those suitable for near wall placement, are easier to integrate in the room

As Cato states, smaller domestic rooms here, create standing waves in the 40-60Hz region the traditional advice was to buy a speaker with limited bass extension, personally I prefer to hear everything on the file.
Keith

As Cato states, smaller domestic rooms here, create standing waves in the 40-60Hz region the traditional advice was to buy a speaker with limited bass extension, personally I prefer to hear everything on the file.
Keith

I prefer the lower group delay, no port chuff and bass roll-off of a sealed box that suits most uk rooms better (once you add room boundary reinforcement and room pressurisation gain).

There's no need for limited extension If you choose the right bass driver.

advertisement

Back