advertisement

Insect Bites?

You do have to be careful. A lady died of sepsis which set in from a little scratch on her arm when she was gardening the other day. It was horribly quick, I think 5 days.

Jesus H Christ! It's an insect bite, not a bullet wound.

No wonder the NHS is under strain.

Right, I've got a paper cut. Best call an ambulance :eek:

Just saying Strummer.

Yours was amusing. Suggesting bothering a GP with an insect bite is just idiotic. They're already trying to deflect minor complaints to the pharmacist.

Anyway, I suspect Mull is on his weekly trip to town. He won't be able to count his legs by now :eek:

You do have to be careful. A lady died of sepsis which set in from a little scratch on her arm when she was gardening the other day. It was horribly quick, I think 5 days.

stangely enough the local paper had a child who died of sepsis and insect bits can be extremely painful and nasty

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-left-fighting-life-after-6288504

one of the most effective creams is hydrocortisone cream which helps with the inflammation .
both germalene and sudocrem can also be good too but they are a real pain

more advice here from nhs

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Bites-insect/Pages/Treatment.aspx

My wife has a similar reaction when bitten. It can get very nasty and if the chemist can't help, a visit to the GP is in order despite what Strummer says. That what we pay N.i for.

Cortisone type stuff just makes itching worse for me. I wouldn't trust the NHS, they don't even know the extent of Lyme disease in the UK. Witch Hazel, Tea tree, Savlon, TCP etc at least all do something useful, beyond the NHS revenue, so are invisible to them. There are some rsole horseflies about nowadays. Get antibiotics while they still work. I diagnose Tularemia, which your GP hasn't even read about. Get back to us when your leg drops off.

Yours was amusing. Suggesting bothering a GP with an insect bite is just idiotic. They're already trying to deflect minor complaints to the pharmacist.

Anyway, I suspect Mull is on his weekly trip to town. He won't be able to count his legs by now :eek:

Idiotic eh? That attitude kills people.

One of my friends was 24 hours away from an amputation recently after a serious infection set in after an insect bite. Thankfully it started receding just in time. His leg's a right mess though. If it's hot, there's a red ring around the bite, or there is pain in the area around it or spreading to the joints, get it checked out.

Good evening..

Can I firstly point out that the only reason I started this thread was because I have three pretty much identical insect bites heading into their fourth day with no reduction in the incessant itching and inflammation.

I'm used to getting the odd bite, even horse fly bites, some of which can be bloody painful. None have never 'got to' me for so long as these bites have.

I normally just get on with it and within a day or so things settle down. Not so with these bites. Which is why I asked for recommendations for remedies/palliatives.

Whilst I would not wish to downplay the small, but real risk of horrors such as Lyme's disease, Anaphalactic shock or even just plain old sepsis, resulting
from bites, I think I'm fairly safe at the moment.

All three bites have now changed slightly in appearance and are less extensive, turning into raised red lumps around 1/4 inch diameter with a slightly reddened surround of about 3/4 to 1 inch. All three are 'weeping' slightly. I'm hoping this change indicates progress, as this incessant itching is getting more than a little wearing now and has somewhat robbed me of sleep for three nights in a row.

I think I'd recognise a serious infection and would be down to the local 'Walk In' like a shot if I thought I had one.

I like to think that insect vectored diseases as have been hinted at here are unlikely. After all.. this is England!!

Anyway. After a bit of online research I have concluded that after cutting through all the crap, hype etc., some form of steroid is is a possible solution to the inflamation and itching.

As it happens, I have some prescribed stuff knocking about which contains both Hydrocortisone, which may help, and a topical antibiotic, which probably won't hurt.

Early trials on a single bite are promising. Itching and redness/inflammation both reduced after a single application.

I shall treat the other two bites before retiring and assuming I wake up tomorrow, will report further. :)

This has been a Public Service Announcement.

Mull

Bought a zapper from Boots. Seems to help a bit.

Also got some Tea Tree oil which I'll try a bit later.

It seems the itching can last for a week or more.

Whoopee..:(

Mull

advertisement

Back