advertisement

Phono stages.

James, The guy who makes the Firebottle frequents the Art of Sound forum where he has a demo phono stage doing the rounds. His nick is 347alant or something like that. Good guy.
Thanks, Chris. I'll do a bit of stalking there ...

Regarding the West Norfolk Phonographic Society, to give it its correct title (other makes are available) is an informal gathering on an irregular basis (I'm a member of the Suffolk cadre). We haven't had a large get-together for a while, but new members of the similarly afflicted are always most welcome when we do! You'd be most welcome Mike.

Thank you, Tony; I'll cogitate on it. It's always nice to have fresh ears evaluate one's system and also to hear different aspects of presentation and tonal contrasts on other systems.

Meanwhile, I would have difficulty in complying with Barry's crushed Asians from Cromer and I'd be far too knackered to swim after running naked the 20 miles to the nearest sea although I did have crabs in my early halcyon days, which put me off for life. Nineteen sixties Hampstead crabs were a different kettle of fish !:D

Recently changed from trichord dino mk3 & dino+ psu to Primare r32, so much more controlled and detailed along with a wider sound stage. Very happy :D

phono_zpsznqtudru.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Recently changed from trichord dino mk3 & dino+ psu to Primare r32, so much more controlled and detailed along with a wider sound stage. Very happy :D

phono_zpsznqtudru.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Having owned one I would agree that as a SS option the R32 is an exceptionally good phonostage.

although I did have crabs in my early halcyon days, which put me off for life. Nineteen sixties Hampstead crabs were a different kettle of fish !:D

i started reading this thread at exactly the wrong or right time, not sure which.

I had several very good ones in the past, the best one being the super line with TP ps. In a burst of insanity I sold it and regretted it. I got another Sup but just then I was overtaken by serious illness. I have been looking for a smaller and cheaper replacement. Does the upgraded Jasmine have any users? Upgraded in parts quality from the factory.

Got the Dynavector P- 75 mk3.5 paired with the Dynavector MC 10x5 cart/Clearaudio concept TT and all sounds pretty good.

Does anyone have any experience with the iFi iPhono? Theres is a new iPhono II apparently which is supposed to be even quieter.

47 Labs phonocube here. More natural flow than my earlier Superline + Burndy + Supercap, better tonality and spot on timing.

Despite having three goes of trying one at home I was somewhat underwhelmed by the Superline - which is particularly disappointing as I fully expected to love it.

I tried a Superline in my system too. The cartridge is a Dynavector XX-2 mk 2.

With the standard supplied resistors and powered off my NAC52, it sounded worse than the Dynavector P75 mk 2 that I've had for the last 7 years or so. Not a promising start.

Then ordered a special 453 Ohm z foil Airplug resistor, which is apparently the perfect one for a Dynavector MC cartridge. Much better. Now the Superline sounded better than the P75 - easily worth £200-300 more than the P75. But not 4 times the price.

Then tried the Superline, powered off its own Supercap DR power supply and using the posh resistor. Oh my goodness, so that's what all the fuss is about. Absolutely loved it.
But not at £7k for a new Superline + Burndy + Supercap DR + Z foil Airplug resistor.

Finally, I tried putting the Supercap DR on my 52 and my olive Supercap on the Superline. Best avoided. Really didn't like it. Swapped the Supercaps back, so black on black, olive on olive. Much, much more musical. But still £7k.

So I haven't bought one and am actively looking at other options.

Did like the Aurorasound Vida though.

Anyone tried the NVA Phono 2? There seems to be some forum politics/indigestion around NVA, though I know not why and do not wish to rake over old, sore coals.
But if their phono stage is good, then perhaps worth a listen?

Best regards, FT

47 Labs phonocube here. More natural flow than my earlier Superline + Burndy + Supercap, better tonality and spot on timing.

apparently these are no longer produced owing to illness (of the manufacturer) so if you want to try one, second hand is the way to go.

I have the i-fi mk 1 and Iamvery pleased with it , the background is very quiet but the mk2 is suppposed to be better still

Interesting comments re. Superline from Mark (Ynwoan) and Foot Tapper.

When a local dealer brought the S'line round to my place and set it up (off 552 + Orbe, Koetsu or Lyra & Prefix K), neither of us could get it to work properly. Too much hum and earthing problems. I could still detect its improvement on the Prefix, however.

Despite this, some time later I took a punt on another S'line, first running from 552 then its own S'cap with Burndy & Hiline. Glad I persevered !

The Supercap is a finicky beast and sounds lacklustre unless fully exploited, judging from dozens of threads/comments on forums.

Not sure about these air plugs, though; if they're anything like HiLines I'll give them a miss as too fragile by half, esp. as I change plugs for different cart's on occasion.

Don't want to make this thread a Superline debate. I like it but I also know what it can't do "fundamentally". I am waiting for the next phono stage by Naim.

advertisement

Back