advertisement

Markus Sauer RIP.

Whaaaat? Terrible news indeed. I had several off-forum conversations with Markus and he always came across as very knowledgeable and helpful on PFM too.
He will be missed, and condolences to family and friends
RIP

One thing to add to my earlier post is to point out for those who maybe didn't know that Markus was also a very highly respected audio reviewer and columnist. His knowledge was in depth, technical and exceptionally broad in scope - pfm has unquestionably lost one of it's best brains. I learnt so much from him. I'll cite as an example a rather wonderful column piece for Stereophile he wrote back in Jan 2000 about the then emerging obj/subj debate (article here). It is interesting to contrast his intelligent, balanced and informed words with what came later here from others of both sides. I should really stick a link in the site FAQ to that one! It is well worth googling around for Markus's audio reviews and comments, he was never less than interesting and informed, and as someone who once ran a Verdier/Shindo/VOTT system had an audio rig beyond what many of us have ever experienced. I'll miss him terribly.

First cliffpatte an now Markus. PFM loses another major contributor to the forum.

Very sad news.

RIP Markus.

I first met Markus in 2005 at a hi-fi nerdathon at Bub's place. I liked him immediately, his dry sense of humour, his knowledge, and his love of music. I spent time with him and Mike and Joel in Tokyo in 2007, when we all went to the Tokyo Audio Show together (despite being treated as a VIP by all the exhibitors, Markus was typically modest and unassuming, and was very happy to hang about with us plebs). He stayed with me a couple of times, in London and in Hastings, and we spent hours talking and about music, politics, and (occasionally) audio. I know he was absolutely devoted to his wife and his young son, and that they will miss him terribly.

He was a fine man, intelligent, kind, funny and thoughtful. It was a privilege to call him a friend.

markus.jpg

I'm shocked and very saddened to hear this. I didn't even know he was ill never mind as gravely ill as has been explained to me this morning. A terrible loss.

RIP Markus.

If you didn't know you never would have guessed Markus was gravely ill.

In recent online conversations with me, he was equally stoic and optimistic and always began by asking me how I was doing.

We lost a fine human being yesterday.

Joe

advertisement

Back