advertisement

JVC AX-Z1010TN - Review (part II)

Dan K

pfm Member
Polite? Does that mean insightful with impressive instrumental separation, solid, but unexaggerated bass, quite breathtaking mid range esp on vocals and superbly clear, non-fatiguing treble? It is not the most organic sounding I've heard perhaps (valves do that best), but overall it is the most competent and enjoyable amp I have had sitting in front of me at home.

Gassor, Well done! You've hit it on the head. I've had one in my system for a month now and it's certainly been interesting. At first I was very impressed, but after a couple of weeks I started to think something was missing ( that 'organic' flow is not quite there perhaps).

The DAC is a departure for me, as I like a NOS sound. The JVC DAC / K2 interface appears to seperate each of the instruments /vocalists out into very clearly defined layers (at least in my system). It's sort of the Aural eqiuvalent of one of those fold out 3D birthday cards. It's not quite reality, but it's impressive and not like anything else I've heard - just amazing, even if it had been produced last week.

Have to say that this amp drives a pair of Shahinian Obelisks with ease, there is a lazyness (not even trying) element when using my Bedini 802, but the JVC is right up there with it.

Stunning amp, stunning DAC. The pre and power amp combination that really strongly reminds me of this JVC is a lightspeed attenuator (battery powered) feeding into a Krell KSA200. It is that good! In the end I moved on from the Krell /LS because the Krell was massive and extremely power hungery and the LS only had 1 input. Perhaps you might say that it sounds a bit 'dry' / clean? (just as the Krell did)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55167127/P1040613.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55167127/KSA 200/P1040597.JPG

Is it possible to use it as a pre-amp? I want to try the dac with my other amps.
If yes, how?
Sorry if I`m being a bit thick.

It's a pity there are no Pre out/Main In on JVC amplifiers,
also they dumped Gm volume on this one, probably for space reasons..

Well it gladdens my heart to...at last...see people less tend to be taken on intoxicating strict - mantra guided tours, by 'gurus', as has been done over the last few decades. It is truly amazing to see gathering numbers of hi-fi enthusiasts finally decide for themselves that there has been quite a bit of Japanese branded equipment - floating around, escaping their attention HI FI was meant as an quest - interest, in personally achieving the best sound, one could achieve - on a given budget. Something also, that in musical terms, was hoped to perfectly suit the assembler's own individual taste and judgement.
Now it appears I can finally stop shaking my head in dismay -at certain brands that were seen, not s long ago as pushing a form of cultish 'sonic evangelism'.
Around the Pacific Rim regions of the World,on the opposite hand, people have long enjoyed the benefits of some of these now eagerly sought after Japanese brands & models - - for what were 'penny' prices (brought new!) compared to when European brands commanded , being landed.
Some of the products offered for sale have -for the money asked - staggering 'overkill' specifications. Today, with freer trade deals /much lower prices / & less customs duties to pay, anything built in Asia, if it ever needs repair....."ditch it!"... in the nearest garbage bin.

So is there anyone out there who has tried or bought this amp and thought, "No, I really don't like it", or even "It's fine but I really don't see what all the fuss is about..." or even "It's very good but not in the same league as some of the standard separates it's being compared to?"

I'm not asking to inspire some kind of backlash, I'm asking to see if anyone out there on this thread has an opposing view of this amplifier/dac.

It's been refreshingly pleasant not to have had folks trashing brand Y largely because they're fanboys of brand X. It's a sign a great maturity.

This amp may not be everyone's favourite or even an amp that produces a type of sound that they prefer, but there is no case for anyone to make out it's not a quality piece of kit and great value for money.

So is there anyone out there who has tried or bought this amp and thought, "No, I really don't like it", or even "It's fine but I really don't see what all the fuss is about..." or even "It's very good but not in the same league as some of the standard separates it's being compared to?"

I'm not asking to inspire some kind of backlash, I'm asking to see if anyone out there on this thread has an opposing view of this amplifier/dac.

Pros

Top notch separation and detail retrieval
Imaging
DAC quality top notch too
MC Stage very good

Cons

Somewhat lean sound

In summary for £700 pretty much unbeatable. I have a suspicion things maybe improved by renewing/upgrading the crossovers in the Ruark Crusader 2s. This is planned over the next week or so courtesy of Mike P. Depending on the outcome I'm looking at maybe a cart change to mitigate the leaness of the sound - maybe something along the lines of a Grado Sonata 1.

Only just seen this thread and surprised to see the amp I bought earlier this year linked back around page 30...

aae800b8b40672fd1ba8c40743dfa3e6_zps8thj5eqz.jpg

7975d68d50c6d32a7470c712e3569ff9_zps860xu43e.jpg

Denon PMA850

Picked it up for £290 after a bit of jiggery pokery and it is a dream. Ousted a Creek Destiny 2 that cost me around five times the price. The phono stage is beautiful, MC and MM x2.

I've been loving it, changed over to a MC cart (Cadenza red) from a MM (2M black) and it just sings. Less industrial, metallic sounding than the Creek which is very detailed, but nowhere near as musical. The soundstage is bigger and three dimensional too.

Great amp.

I think Tony`s got one of those big Denons. Massive aren`t they?

It weighs a ton, and it's deeper than standard...like an AV amp. The transformer is huge.

It's probably got too much power on paper for my speakers. The Zingali Overture 3s are pretty sensitive, so I never have to turn the volume past about 8 o'clock...but it has a deftness that you might not expect from such a brute.

advertisement

Back