advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2015 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting shots from Appleby, Steve

You don't get anything like that in South London.

I also like the look of those DP1M colours Patrick. I always fancied the idea of trying the SD1 Merril. When it was £4K it was silly, but they can be had quite cheaply now.

Blackberry flowers

P1200249%20copy_zpscdwlz8u6.jpg

I also like the look of those DP1M colours Patrick. I always fancied the idea of trying the SD1 Merril. When it was £4K it was silly, but they can be had quite cheaply now.

Yeah but the colours are only really what photoshop/lightroom says they are.

I'm still thinking about the SD1M. The viewfinder might be nice, as would the ability to remove the IR filter and do some IR shots, but I think I probably get all that I want from the SD1M/SD3M. The SD1M is a carry around anywhere camera that will easily go in a coat pocket, with a great lens and FF level resolution. The DP3M is slightly less portable (because the lens sticks out more) but it's nice to have a 75mm equivalent alternative. The 50mm equivalent SD2M might suit some people's view of the world better, but the DP1M's 28mm equivalent works for me. I just kind of wave it in the general direction of things and either zone or auto focus (I have no chance of seeing or focusing using the LCD screen without wearing reading glasses these days).

If I had an SD1M it would be harder to carry around and at the wider end it wouldn't give me much more. If I used it with longer lenses I'd want to shoot sport and wildlife and the slow write speed and limited usability at high ISOs doesn't exactly make that the SD1M's forte. The Sigma 120mm-300mm lens is supposed to be great but it's around £3k and would need a monopod too ...

So I dunno.

All looked good to me, did you use a high powered ND filter to allow a long exposure and produce those fog like areas around the structures?

Auric, Lens at f11, used a 10 stop Hoya ND filter and Hoya Grad (3 stops at darkest, 1stop at lightest), so roughly 13stops for the sky and 11 stops for the water, 30 second exposure

Lefty, thanks

Funny, long exposure shots of piers are seriously clichéd, every would-be photographer does them, a kind of right-of-passage.

But I still like them. Excellent, again, Mr P!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back