advertisement

Naim NAC 202

analogmusic

pfm Member
I have one and wanted to know how it compares to other Naim preamps such as NAC 72, NAC 82, NAC 102 and NAC 282 and NAC 252

did anyone have a NAC 202 and change upgrade it? in hindsight would you have kept it?

A Nac 202 is basically a revised Nac 102
both not my cup really, owned both and went happy (happier) for Nac 72

Its all a personnal choice, sure someone will have the opposite opinion
basically I stopped listen to music having Nac 102/202 in the chain

best you can do is listen for yourself but you did allready know that;)

I have one and wanted to know how it compares to other Naim preamps such as NAC 72, NAC 82, NAC 102 and NAC 282 and NAC 252

did anyone have a NAC 202 and change upgrade it? in hindsight would you have kept it?
Ali,
Are you on medication and have forgotten to drop a pill or two or just taken to many ?
You are now starting the same threads on here that you have running on other forums?:rolleyes:
Are you trying to make a point?

Trolls
pfm will not tolerate trolls, i.e., the creation of one or more accounts under an alias different from the original alias a member has chosen (this includes the return of a banned member under a covert identity). Troll accounts will be banned. However, a member may ask the administrator to change his or her alias. A member may also ask the administrator to allow more than one account if there are legitimate reasons, e.g., if distinct trade and personal accounts are needed.

Thread crapping
The term ‘thread crapping’ describes a situation where a member makes a post that is clearly contrary to the spirit or intent of the thread with the apparent aim of derailing the discussion or turning it into an argument. Criticism of pricing etc in the classifieds is considered bad form and is also seen as 'thread crapping'. Persistent examples of such behaviour may result in a poster being banned for a period of time.

I've owned (in order) 62, 72, 82, 52. Subjectively the 52 bettered the 72 but not enough to dislodge an impression that, in my experience, the 72 is a stand-out bargain - if you don't want/need remote control, which was the only reason I considered a move away from 72.
Never heard a 202 but I hope my experience helps in some way.

The nac72 is very musical.
The 202 lets more music through.
The 282 loses the edges in the music that the 202 has, but you gain more music.

Bottom line - youll gain some lose some until you hit the 552.
When I sold my 282 and put the 72 in its place when I was waiting for my 552, I did not miss the 282 at all.

When I moved from 202 to 282, I wondered for a long time whether I had made the right choice - and ultimately wasn't really convinced. It was more, but lacked the 202s direct nature.

Audition the sn2 and see if you like It better for simplicity. 282,252 are s fools game - at current prices.

Over the last 6-7 years or so I've had a 72 (latest version, no phonoboards), 112 and 202. All of them had a HiCap2 attached, driving Kan mk. II's and Neat Momentum 3i's with CB NAP140 and NAP150. 72 played music well, but I always felt there was something missing with the 72 that was there with 112 and 202. Could be many things, but my best guess is that the black series is more for my taste.

Sources used were LP12 (Rega RB300, Lingo II, Trampolin, Linn Adikt) with Stageline+Flatcap2; and a bare CDX2.

202 is the one still working here now with Classic series Hicap, NAPSC and NAP200. No interest to change amps for now (Never say never).

FWIW I find a used 82 to be a bargoon. I thought it was a huge step towards a 52 (better htan the 72) and they go for (relatively speaking) dirt. But I haven't compared it to a 202.

FWIW I find a used 82 to be a bargoon. I thought it was a huge step towards a 52 (better htan the 72) and they go for (relatively speaking) dirt. But I haven't compared it to a 202.

But then with an 82 do I go one or two Hi-Caps :confused: (second one not worth it) or Supercap :eek:

With a 72 one Hi-Cap with TPR4 job done :D

I can compare an 102 to an 82. I love my 82: smooth and natural sounding with bags of detail. I'm not selling it unless the 52's come in below a grand. I paid 700 for the 82. Sold the 102 for 380. That's a 320 quid outlay for a substantial upgrade.

I run it with my Avondale ASR modified HICAP.

I can compare an 102 to an 82. I love my 82: smooth and natural sounding with bags of detail. I'm not selling it unless the 52's come in below a grand. I paid 700 for the 82. Sold the 102 for 380. That's a 320 quid outlay for a substantial upgrade.

I run it with my Avondale ASR modified HICAP.

This sounds to me quite sensible. I know there is a whole thing on here about 72's being the cat's ass and better than a 102, 82, hell everything short of a 52 with snake oils smeared on the connectors and a wizard's deficate on the knobs but I really just found them to get better as you went up the line (a refreshing change from other companies where often the best product is in the middle of the line). VFM not included.

As to the question about 82 + 1 HC or 2 or SC or ?? Vs. a 72, this is not a question about absolute quality this is about the need to feel you've crested on the equipment you have. An 82 + 1HC is better than a 72 + HC. Simple. Much better. Leagues better. Between 2 HC's vs. a SC I"d say just wait for the SC and flip to that. I haven't A/B'd a STeddyC to a SC to I'd say if you like Teddy's version, just flip to that instead and save even more money.

But as a basis, 82 is a great bargain of a pre-amp and the value used is sensational.

Unless you're of the "72 beats everything other than a Statement Pre with a good wind behind it and multiple car-battery-power-source", which is TOTALLY cool and I applaud your feelings on the matter, I just don't agree.

Unless you're of the "72 beats everything other than a Statement Pre with a good wind behind it and multiple car-battery-power-source", which is TOTALLY cool and I applaud your feelings on the matter, I just don't agree.

Did I mention the millionaire Naim Statement ?

I did say 52 / 552, anyway this is all based on our expirances to me the 72 just does it especially with the RSL boards. On my third 72 and in between the 72s I did try other pre amps including the 82 but always returned to the 72.

Did I mention the millionaire Naim Statement ?

I did say 52 / 552, anyway this is all based on our expirances to me the 72 just does it especially with the RSL boards. On my third 72 and in between the 72s I did try other pre amps including the 82 but always returned to the 72.

I was absolutely exagerrating and meant no offense. I do notice that the 72 gets praise for being better than thigns above it, I don't understand.

The 72 is indeed a fine preamp but ime much better when advondale 821 gain boards are inserted and everything else pulled out. Except maybe the phono boards if that way inclined. Quick receipe includes remove the mother board and throw in bin. Next get 821 boards (or your favourite flavour of aftermarket boards) wire up to selector and volume pot with extension shafts (to keep wiring short) and bob is you uncle.

I have ryanlabs mc phono boards on loan at the moment. What fun.

stu

There is no question about the quality and reputation on Naim gear. But....

I had a 202. With a 200 and a Hi-Cap. Swapped them for a valve amp with a quarter of the power. In my system the valve amp was clearly better.

Guess it's that elusive synergy. Which is a problem because it's hard to predict synergy.

Jim.

advertisement

Back