advertisement

ARC - Audio Reproduction Company ...

These cabinets are an improved version. As the old cabinets were made out of MDF supplied from Hornslet from Denmark, the new ones are made out of a sandwich structure of Baltic Birch Plywood, Bitumen and natural oak veneer. And of course there will be still lambs wool inside the speaker ....

I'll keep you updated .....

The very first time I heard the active vs passive demo was at one of the London shows back in the late 1970s with a Nytech/Arc system. Not only was the perceivable differences quite profound, but so too was the choice of music (Look at Granny Run-Ry Cooder, from the first non-classical digital recording Bop Till You Drop). One year later I got to hear the same passive Arc/Nytech vs active in a very small university residence fronted by the obligatory Linn/Ittok/Asak into Arc 101s with the Russ Andrews Inverted Flower Pot Stands.

Two doors away was a similar system run passively (KEF 104ABs) that sounded very flatulent compared to the active ARC versions.

The pre Valhalla/Cirkus LP12 slotted in perfectly. I wonder how current LP12's would fare???

Also, I cannot but wonder if some HBS-2 Heybrook stands would treat the current ARC 101 better than the inspired-by-original wooden ones.

Not only was the perceivable differences quite profound,

Subsituting a crossover built to the same circuit but with modern components makes a big difference, too.

Update from the last assembly steps ....

The wiring ...
sffvOOA.jpg

The Damping ...
GFKk77j.jpg

tVjtAsf.jpg

N53fCzM.jpg

The first pair of 102 and 050's are finished ...
yqConrf.jpg

Exceptional construction...many fold higher than the original ARCs I would imagine. I wonder though if those authentic-replica wooden stands would not be bettered by more conventional and rigid metal frame ones.

Regardless, ARCs were one of the few decent things coming out of Salford in those times. I have very fond memories of an active 252XD/ARC 101 system fronted by the obligatory LP12/Ittok/Asak in a tiny university dorm room circa 1979/1980. Judy Tzuke and The Wall were the main fodder though.

Soon to be listing for sale following Nytech / ARC equipment.
Pair mk1 ARC 101 perfect working order
Pair mk2 ARC 101 suspect 1 tweeter
Pair Arc 050 perfect working order
Nytech CTA252xd gwo, later model cw/ banana speaker outputs & the rare plastic cover over buttons
Nytech CTA252xd haven't used for over a year so needs testing - is earlier model w/Din sp. output
2no Nytech CXA252 x-over amps cw arc 101 boards
Nytech CA252 integrated amp - suspect 1 channel
4no ARC 801 mid/bass drivers suit 101/050

Thought id post here first. Apologies if should be in classified section. I make a proper post there with pics when I get the chance.
Contact via pm or [email protected]

Exceptional construction...many fold higher than the original ARCs I would imagine. I wonder though if those authentic-replica wooden stands would not be bettered by more conventional and rigid metal frame ones.

Regardless, ARCs were one of the few decent things coming out of Salford in those times. I have very fond memories of an active 252XD/ARC 101 system fronted by the obligatory LP12/Ittok/Asak in a tiny university dorm room circa 1979/1980. Judy Tzuke and The Wall were the main fodder though.

ARC 101's, LP12, Ittok, Asak and Naim 42/110 - my first really substantial investment, urged on by the likes of Jimmy Hughes and Chris Brookes...ARC's bought in Manchester and the rest from Grahams in London - 1980. Lasted me a very long time. ARC's tweeters went eventually and couldn't get replacements so donated to a local school's science department. Maybe they're stll going somewhere...

Gentlemen,

another update. It took some while but now we have also new passive XOvers ....

50Sgz30.jpg

sYglKSB.jpg

Regards from Germany

Ingo

Gentlemen,

this I found in the bay ...... a really good looking pair of ARC 050. A really good opportunity to compare it with the new ones ......

Original operating instruction were delivered also :cool:

nlhzsHs.jpg

JAwlKbi.jpg

k2LPQnL.jpg

We are quite close to the original 050's :p

Gentlemen,

it took a while, but still there, back with an update .....

Stand alone, custom made electronic crossover for the new ARC 050 to work together with an active setup with two Nytech CPA 602's and a CP122.

I'll post a pic when it's finished too ....

zfxEOy3.jpg

Best regards from Germany

The XOver will work together with the old CPA 602's ..... Amp's will be connected with the original DIN interconnect cables ...

VutP1Ch.jpg

The new passive XOver is playing just wonderful together with the original ARC050 and ARC102 both with original ARC Tweeter HF2501 & HF2502 :)

Give me a PM if somebody is interested.

advertisement

Back