advertisement

Holst - The Planets OP. 32

Remarkably Boult recorded in every stage of commercial recording from making acoustic 78s all the way through to digital.

Wasn't his final recording sponsored by Kef?

You should also have a listen to the version for two pianos. It was only later that Holst transcribed it for orchestra.

Took nearly a week though.

I await delivery of the Dutoit recording and will report back.

Hope you like it.

I have bought the Boult:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008FEHYR0/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

A quick listen suggest more gravitas than the Dutoit, but not sure if that's good or not.

And the 1926 Holst:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000AOWXV/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Wow, that's quick! Not sure I'm going to be able to get past that, even if it's what Gustav wanted.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
While we`re giving Tony these excellent Amazon puffs here`s the early Karajan recording with the VPO which I like very much.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000KQGOA4/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

And here is his later BPO recording which is definitely one to avoid in my opinion.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00004VDXQ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Haven't listened to the holst/karajan with Berlin in awhile but it didn't strike me as one to avoid. What didn't you like about it? I'll need to have a listen again.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Just dug out Rattle's BPO Planets tonight. Very different from any British orchestral performance I've heard. Rattle is poring over the score as if it was Mahler and the orchestra is obliging- their phrasing is in a league of its own. Sometimes the wings get pulled of a piece in the search for beauty of sound though...

Haven't listened to the holst/karajan with Berlin in awhile but it didn't strike me as one to avoid. What didn't you like about it? I'll need to have a listen again.

Pacing wholly wrong - much like the late Karajan Beethoven Symphonies.
It`s one of those recordings, like the Gibson, which makes the whole piece drear, that I sometimes think can`t be as bad as I remember, play it, and then take off again after 30 seconds.
Just my opinion of course.

Pacing wholly wrong - much like the late Karajan Beethoven Symphonies.
It`s one of those recordings, like the Gibson, which makes the whole piece drear, that I sometimes think can`t be as bad as I remember, play it, and then take off again after 30 seconds.
Just my opinion of course.

Interesting. Will need to search out some others of the Holst and Beethoven as I have a few of those too. Haven't listened critically to any classical for awhile so should be fun.

It`s an abberation but doesn`t spoil the overall recording for me. It was the first recording I heard more than once when I recorded it off R3 back on the 22nd July 1966 (still in my recording book) and even now it is only just shaded by the final Boult recording - in my opinion.

I have not heard another recording as good as the SXL, I have ASD2301 by NPO/Boult and it's good but not a patch on the SXL.

On seeing this thread I thought I'd have a listen because I haven't for a long time. I was shocked to find I didn't have a hard copy (cd or lp) and the only mp3 is of an odd version for brass & organ. Its rather good. I've ordered the Dutoit version since that received such positive comments. Thanks for reminding me of this work. The Music for Pleasure version was the first LP I bought when I was about 12 - that would be '71.

The actual sounds of the planets, well, radio waves converted to sounds, is pretty neat too. Saturn is downright scary-ass!

[youtube]-MmWeZHsQzs#t=204[/youtube]

I bet Holst would have been impressed.

iTunes has a compilation of these planetary sounds if you'd like to download them.

Joe

I have not heard another recording as good as the SXL, I have ASD2301 by NPO/Boult and it's good but not a patch on the SXL.

the NPO/Boult planets is an earlier recording (1967) than his final LPO 1979 version and far inferior to my mind - but only by Boult standards.

Slightly off topic I have today received the 1934 Boult BBC SO Schubert Ninth symphony - his interpretation was highly regarded and the 1972 LPO is my benchmark aginst which only Joseph Kripps and the VPO come close.

Still waiting for the Dutoit.

Having now played the Dutoit a couple of times I find it very good but not quite up there with Late Boult or early Karajan, it seems flatter, somehow. Anyway, as I now have six different recordings, I probably shouldn`t look for too many more.
Thanks for the suggestion though, it`s always good to find new versions of pieces.

If you enjoy Dutoit & The Montreal Orchestra 'Planets' check out their recordings of French composers Bizet, Satie, Chabrier et al with 'Fete a la Francaise'. Also Debussy with 'Images and Nocturns'.
Peter

Having decided I needed no more recordings of The Planets I of course was unable to resist this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006DIGK2K/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21 from a pile in a secondhand bookshop in Lyme Regis.
It is an excellent performance and if slightly crackly, excellent value for a quid.
The sleeve notes were written by Sargent himself and start "Gustav Holst - who was my friend -". Flash never disappoints.

Thought I`d resurrect this thread to mention that CD Review - Building a Library, on R3 are doing the Planets next Saturday morning (27th September).

I was lucky enough to be able to see the RSNO at Edinburghs usher hall playing this last year. Simply one of the most sublime musical experiences of my life. They absolutely nailed the performance and it was genuinely emotionally stirring. The sheer might of Mars and Jupiter, to the sinister eeriness of Neptune.

advertisement

Back