advertisement

Holst - The Planets OP. 32

flatpopely

Prog Rock/Moderator
If you love music, and I guess that is why you are looking, listen to this.

It's famous for 'Mars the bringer of war' but TBH that's a lead in to the rest of the music.

It's quite the most sublime thing made for ones ears.

If you thought classical was not for you it is!

It's a roller coaster of superb tunes and counterpoints; some of them bring me to tears every time.

That would be a great recording but..... they didn't appear to have any tubular bells in Vienna in 1960 so instead they used dustbin lids at the climax of Saturn. Totally ruins it for me.

It`s an abberation but doesn`t spoil the overall recording for me. It was the first recording I heard more than once when I recorded it off R3 back on the 22nd July 1966 (still in my recording book) and even now it is only just shaded by the final Boult recording - in my opinion.

I started with Alexander Gibson's SNO recording-Id been to a concert performance one glorious summer at the Kelvin Hall when I was younger. Then I got Previn's recording, which I still have. Think I've got a Rattle BPO too...

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Yoel Levi's Atlanta SO on Telarc came top of the pile when R3's Building a Library did their survey of the best Planets. Perhaps surprising, but it's full-on stuff.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom