advertisement

Which component has the biggest effect on the sound?

But ridiculous is fun:

11732716493_e5879f505d_o.jpg

Everyone should try it some time.

That's what you call a proper man cave stereo system.

I'd also call them a practical solution, you can store a descent amount of stuff on top of em, now you can't do that with most other speakers out there (and that includes the ones I've got, I could store books on em but not a lot).

That Tony is a rather handsome room [ except the wire down the middle ;)] and those speakers look good and unobtrusive . Now if they extended to the ceiling then I would suggest they would look ridiculous .

I've seen pictures of folk stacking two pairs flipping the top pair over so the top and mid horns are in the middle! Actually looks kind of cool! assuming you use identical pairs!

I often argue that big speakers are less intrusive than little ones, especially if they are designed to sit in the corners. Most UK houses have a chimney breast to contend with, it just makes total sense to use the alcoves. If this was my main system I'd have vinyl shelving directly above the speakers so they'd be even less obtrusive. Being horns they are hugely directional so just don't care about things above etc. The way to lose the most space in a room is to balance a little box precariously on a stand well away from the walls with a trip-wire hanging out the back! I'll argue all day that in real terms a pair of full Klipschorns is smaller than say a pair of ProAc Response 1SCs! (not having a go at the ProAcs here, I really like them). Also very child and pet friendly - there's nothing to break on a folded-horn system like the La Scala, the drivers are more than a little arms-length away and they are hugely heavy and stable (around 60Kg IIRC) so can't be tipped over.

Also very child and pet friendly - there's nothing to break on a folded-horn system like the La Scala, the drivers are more than a little arms-length away and they are hugely heavy and stable (around 60Kg IIRC) so can't be tipped over.

Great looking speakers but I have known a few pets and children who would have had 'fun' with those great big holes at the base of the La Scala's. Still, probably nothing they can damage or damage themselves with. I am imagining a small mog curled up in one as you cue up Monster Movie or some other delight.

Eichenbaums transform: What really matters? The signal that reaches the speaker or the sound that reaches your ears?

Is that the one about not being able to control what happens to you, but being able to control how you respond to it?

Is that the one about not being able to control what happens to you, but being able to control how you respond to it?

Im not sure if you responding to me , but it means that the speaker room interface is what REALLY matters... how the sound is reproduced and transmitted to your ears..

The biggest conduit to an enjoyable listen is not having a nagging woman in the vicinity.

An average system and being alone is better than high-end system + said woman in tow.

Oh and a glass of wine always improves the listening experience.

The biggest conduit to an enjoyable listen is not having a nagging woman in the vicinity.

An average system and being alone is better than high-end system + said woman in tow.

Oh and a glass of wine always improves the listening experience.

I was going to ask if you were Jim Davidson, Then I considered my life with a crying baby , moaning partner and children of 6,8 and 10 and you are indeed correct .

This weekend it will be just me and the baby for a glorious 72 hours and I am all excited about doing nothing except listening to my hifi loud .

Great looking speakers but I have known a few pets and children who would have had 'fun' with those great big holes at the base of the La Scala's. Still, probably nothing they can damage or damage themselves with. I am imagining a small mog curled up in one as you cue up Monster Movie or some other delight.

The 15" bass unit is facing rearwards in the triangular 'dog house' bit, it fires through a narrow vertical slot which is spaced an inch or so in front of the back panel of the cab (plans here), i.e. there is no way a human of any age could get their hand in and around to touch the cone. The gap is far too small for a kitten or anything larger than say a gerbil too.

The cat I borrow now and again from the neighbours has discovered the open area at the top rear of the La Scalas and likes to jump inside and sit next to the mid-horn and crossover. A sharp slap to the (rather resonant) top or side of the cab ejects it pretty rapidly though. Thankfully there's nothing much it could actually damage in there as long as it doesn't eat the cables or pee on anything.

You can have any size loudspeakers you like if the room has been properly treated or you can adjust electronically the bass output.
Keith.

With one potential caveat and that's the dispersion characteristics and where the listener is forced to sit in a small room.

Larger multi-way loudspeaker systems need some space for best driver integration. Sit too close and the contribution of individual drivers becomes obvious and coherence can suffer. Not something you can fix with EQ or room treatment. Tends to impact taller designs with multiple spaced drivers. Even concentric drivers don't get away from this effect completely.

I think ATC's are measured at just 1 m and are phase coherent at less than that.

yvesdelauny01.jpg

Perhaps, but they are pro monitors designed for near field use in many situations. Not your average hi-fi loudspeaker.

advertisement

Back