advertisement

System pics 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merlin, those speakers look bloody ludicrous. Get some ATCs ASAP.

Coupe-sport lives in a show-home. I live in a shithouse.

Great to see some superb systems on here as usual.

After 25 years of Naim ownership with a fantastic diversion into the valve world via the Berning, i've settled on the best of both worlds.

Nice room, James! Did you have the PMCs with your previous system(s), and how's the Dev at driving them?

Great to see some superb systems on here as usual.

After 25 years of Naim ownership with a fantastic diversion into the valve world via the Berning, i've settled on the best of both worlds.

Some looking amp! :cool:

Why did you get rid of the naim?

Bub - this is a rare tidy shot after the christmas decorations were removed and the dog hadn't moved his vast toy collection back in.

Matt - The PMC's have been with me quite a while now. The Devialet drives them superbly and at levels i didn't think they'd find comfortable. I'm not a volume freak but when i want to turn the wick up, it just goes louder and louder with no hint of strain.

Robert - I just got to the point with Naim of wondering why i really needed so many boxes to play music. The turning point was putting a Nait XS in to my system and finding it didn't really sound too much different so i ended up downsizing to a Nait XS / FC XS and found that to be a very enjoyable combination and rather more consistent in day to day performance. Once i'd satisfied myself that the Devialets internal Ethernet card bettered the NDX as a S/PDIF source then that ended my Naim ownership late last year although i still have my first CB140 tucked away for a future project :)

Bub - this is a rare tidy shot after the christmas decorations were removed and the dog hadn't moved his vast toy collection back in.

Matt - The PMC's have been with me quite a while now. The Devialet drives them superbly and at levels i didn't think they'd find comfortable. I'm not a volume freak but when i want to turn the wick up, it just goes louder and louder with no hint of strain.

Robert - I just got to the point with Naim of wondering why i really needed so many boxes to play music. The turning point was putting a Nait XS in to my system and finding it didn't really sound too much different so i ended up downsizing to a Nait XS / FC XS and found that to be a very enjoyable combination and rather more consistent in day to day performance. Once i'd satisfied myself that the Devialets internal Ethernet card bettered the NDX as a S/PDIF source then that ended my Naim ownership late last year although i still have my first CB140 tucked away for a future project :)

How are you feeding music to the Devialet in the absence of the NDX? Do you have a laptop hidden there somewhere or an alternative streaming device?

I have a headless mac mini in the study which runs iTunes (and used to run the UPnP server for the NDX) and shares my library to various Macs and iDevices in the house. It also runs the Devialet AIR application which intercepts any audio feed on the mini and squirts it out over my wired network to the Devialet.

New year, new racks.
Now I can buy more CDs :)

LNY9m7W.jpg

oMaUMCC.jpg

New year, new racks.
Now I can buy more CDs :)

Always love your setup. My CD racks are similar except white in color. People talk about seeing their music at a glance with computer audio...after you page through. With music in racks in your room you can truly see it all at a glance. Well done.

A few of my system, including the now-obligatory ATC soft-dome shot. The system's not in any way "tweaky", just a simple setup that gets the job done. No fancy PSUs, just the standard wall-warts. The anti-mode is acting as DAC for the SBT via optical.

You can see the rats nest of signal/power/ethernet cables behind it in some of the shots, and Horrors! a Powerline switch, which makes no difference at all to sound quality :)

The CD player is there, but I've probably used it twice in the last 12 months.

DPP_3191 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

DPP_3186 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

DPP_3188 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

DPP_3189 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

DPP_3190 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

Looking good, Adam! :) That's quite a CD colletion you have build.

Although I'm used to streaming, for the last 4 years or so now, there's something cool about a large CD-collection stored in a dedicated piece of furniture imho.
(and I'm probably a dying breed of people who even prefer the good old IR remote over swiping, ticking, choosing my music on an Ipad/pod/phone/tablet)

James,
You have plenty of room on those empty shelves for Alfie's toys now that you don't need those superfluous boxes.

Thanks.
For a while I was considering streaming, but decided to stick with a CD player and CDs. They look good and for me - they require less hassle (e.g. ripping, tagging, backups). I have also found that when listening to Spotify or iTunes - I tend to skip from song to song, rarely I listen to whole albums, it's good for exploring new music, but physical media are better for experiencing music.

Anyway- back on topic: I am quite happy to have progressed from this:

to this:

in the kitchen we have this (there is another one but i'm trying to avoid triangle related controversy):

Agreed - I need to work on cable hygiene. I've got rid of some of that bundle of cat5 since i took that picture.

<moderating>

Someone please start a fresh thread for the equilateral triangle speaker positioning thing, it is a valid topic (and for that matter one I always adhere to - I've set every system I've ever owned up in that manner!). I just want to keep aggression, egos etc well off this thread. Apologies to those whose perfectly polite, correct and well meaning advice got caught in the crossfire.

A few of my system, including the now-obligatory ATC soft-dome shot. The system's not in any way "tweaky", just a simple setup that gets the job done. No fancy PSUs, just the standard wall-warts. The anti-mode is acting as DAC for the SBT via optical.

You can see the rats nest of signal/power/ethernet cables behind it in some of the shots, and Horrors! a Powerline switch, which makes no difference at all to sound quality :)

The CD player is there, but I've probably used it twice in the last 12 months.

DPP_3191 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

DPP_3186 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

DPP_3188 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

DPP_3189 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

DPP_3190 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

Speakers look great.

A big amp for 2014 - lots of smooth power, brilliant!!

11759638415_8f817edbc7_b.jpg

Goldring 2400 cartridge
SME 3009 arm
Thorens TD-321 turntable
Trichord Dino phono stage
Audiolab 8200 CDQ
MC² Audio MC650 power amplifier
ATC SCL 20SL speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back