advertisement

System pics 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
My needs are simple. I rarely if ever listen at levels exceeding 90db at the listening position. I often listen at below 70db so it's important that the system maintains it's balance and detail at low levels.

Interesting - this a real bug bear of mine. Most of the time, I listen at low levels and I've found that very few systems are capable of maintaining my interest at these levels. Those that are often get the balance wrong at the other end of the volume scale - i.e. they become aggressive and shouty at loud volumes.

I am familiar with the Fletcher–Munson curves and the justification for having a 'loudness' button for low volumes, but most kit I'm interested in doesn't have this feature.

I've found that the best approach for getting around this problem is to marry high sensitivity speakers to pure class A amplifiers.

Lefty

Looking good Lefty! :)

Good comment re the low volume thing. Where we live now, I'm very fortunate that I can listen at any volume I like (nearest neighbours are 30 yds away) but for serious listening I don't have things loud, and with acoustic/classical listen at the volumes it would be heard live - ie not particularly loud at all.

Best amp/speaker I owned for low-volume was when I had the chance to borrow (whilst he was fixing my Expo IX) an MF Silver pre from Peter at Deco Audio, linked up to my WAD KaT34 power amp. It was uncanny how it could show dynamic differentiation at low volumes. A joy, shame I couldn't afford to buy it.

Ignore the messy cables at the back and the lopsided TV as I can't be bothered to tidy them yet. The EB2's are new and sound great with the brio

Rega Brio-r
Rega DAC
Rega Apollo-r
Rega RP6
ZYX R50 bloom
Tom Evans microgroove
Mogami interconnects
Tellurium Q black speaker cable
EB Acoustics EB2 speakers
Custom designs speaker stands
Sonos ZP80
Sonos Play 1 x2

Think the system has real synergy now and sounds great on most types of music.

n4e5.jpg

No change in the main rig, still as it was last year aside from the Tannoys now have grilles to keep the dust of and protect them from the non-existant sun, plus I've rearranged things on the table (Apollo now by 301, Dac & 34/306 beneath). System #2 (TV/office/studio) is a bit different though:

11732716493_e5879f505d_o.jpg

Music kit mostly not pictured (Shergold bass, Moog Voyager, MiniBrute, Logic Pro X etc), MacBook Pro, Focusrite ADC/DAC, TV, Sony SACD player, Audio Synthesis PAS-02, Quad 303, Klipsch La Scala, 2 x BK XXLS400-DF subs. Still a work in progress as I intend to fiddle with the La Scalas crossovers etc a bit, but certainly promising.

Looking good Lefty! :)

Good comment re the low volume thing. Where we live now, I'm very fortunate that I can listen at any volume I like (nearest neighbours are 30 yds away) but for serious listening I don't have things loud, and with acoustic/classical listen at the volumes it would be heard live - ie not particularly loud at all.

Best amp/speaker I owned for low-volume was when I had the chance to borrow (whilst he was fixing my Expo IX) an MF Silver pre from Peter at Deco Audio, linked up to my WAD KaT34 power amp. It was uncanny how it could show dynamic differentiation at low volumes. A joy, shame I couldn't afford to buy it.

Thanks matey :)

How are you getting on with the A30? Am I right in saying that you still have your Sony 770ES as well? If so, are you just chopping and changing between them as the mood takes, or is the long term plan to sell one of them and keep the other?

Also, interesting that you cite the Music First Silver TVC in the system which you said performed well at low volumes. I am also running a TVC at the moment (a Silvercore Preamp One, originally from Peter at Deco) and I must say I'm hugely impressed with it!

Silvercore Preamp One by Koopa-Troopa, on Flickr

Lefty

Thanks matey :)

How are you getting on with the A30? Am I right in saying that you still have your Sony 770ES as well? If so, are you just chopping and changing between them as the mood takes, or is the long term plan to sell one of them and keep the other?

Lefty

Yes, am enjoying the A30 very much - it's a nicely versatile bit of kit, and whilst it doesn't really like the ProAcs (they need a lot more power to be fair) it makes the 2010's sing very sweetly and will summon some decent levels from them.

Surprisingly, the Sony sounds fairly similar both in terms of tonal quality and detail. The A30 has the edge - at a push - on transparency but the Sony wins back on sheer clout and dynamism. I could easily keep either amp but if one goes it'll probably be the A30, unless I can track down some Snell K's. :D

I never seem to have a permanent configuration for very long these days and sadly don't get enough leisure time to listen either.

Here's one side of the room at the mo though. Will probably be completely different next week !

11733774215_58c501c000_b.jpg

Very nice Lotus. Which amplification you prefer as your personal favorite?

Still love CJ although I don't sell it new. Love all the Allnic stuff obviously but then it is pretty special, particularly the DHT stuff and the SETs. Not really a solid state man but if I moved back to transistor gear then Vitus would be my pick.

Heard plenty of other kit I like to be honest, there is so much good stuff out there but its mostly valves and more esoteric type of stuff that gets me ... shindo, joule electra, zanden, absolare, wavac etc.

Great to see some superb systems on here as usual.

After 25 years of Naim ownership with a fantastic diversion into the valve world via the Berning, i've settled on the best of both worlds.

Merlin, that's Raiders of the Lost Dub on the left there! I didn't know anyone else had that LP!
It's one of my favourites, some great Sly + Robbie and it fully complies with my number 1 rule of dub - the best albums have the worst covers.
Vince

Good spot Vince :)

I think the original UK album was withdrawn for copyright reasons soon after it's release which was a shame. As you say, some great mixes on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back