advertisement

Rega red silicone belt

Weirdness

pfm Member
Hi all!

Did a quick search and couldn't find anything other than mention of the RP40--wondering if these belts are going to be available for all tables, when and how much.

Have had the white belts on my p9 for a couple of years so I'm probably due, may as well try the red belts if they are going to be available soon.

Side note--bought my original series p9 as new old stock do I need to do an oil change on it? Do myself or bring to a tech?

Thanks...

The oil on Regas generally lasts for a decade or more before it dries out or at least congeals a bit into a dark brown goo. The P9 bearing may well be different though. As for belts, why not either PM Paul Darwin here (if he misses this post) or give Rega a call in the morning :)

The Edwards belts add motor noise as they're very tight (according to a recent review AND a friend's experience with one). The P9 ain't some beat up old Planar from yonks ago that you can bodge away at with any old 'me too' rubbish, but was very carefully conceived from the outset. T'would be a shame to ruin it with some third party stuff intended for a bodge-up RP1.. Apologies, I don't mean to be rude, but these things need to be said IMO.

My white belt has a kink of some sort in it, maybe its because I haven't use the rega p2 much in the last year.

Hi Rob, if you pass the belt a few times through your fingers and "warm it up" the rubber compound will asume its normal shape.

Paul Darwin
Rega Research

The red silicone belt has been developed for use on the Naiad turntable project and will also be the belt in the RP3 40th anniversary package. I have yet to see one in the flesh myself but would expect that they would be made available as an upgrade in the future as with the white belt.

Paul Darwin
Rega Research

I heard that the original colour of the belt was meant to be Green but they weren't allowed to build on it.

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

I've seen the white belts for sale on the analogue seduction site, do they make a difference and if so why?

Is it worth adding to my rp6?

The Edwards belts add motor noise as they're very tight (according to a recent review AND a friend's experience with one). The P9 ain't some beat up old Planar from yonks ago that you can bodge away at with any old 'me too' rubbish, but was very carefully conceived from the outset. T'would be a shame to ruin it with some third party stuff intended for a bodge-up RP1.. Apologies, I don't mean to be rude, but these things need to be said IMO.

This post is out of order .

You are entitled to your opinion on the belt per se , though for ****s sake its heresay evidence .However , you are not entitled to your sycophancy for all things rega leading to the rubbishing of all after market add ons ,to be simply accepted without rebuttal.

It is inappropriate and crass to call none manufacturer add ons "bodges" or me to rubbish ,especially as there is an established culture of none manufactured upgrades to most if not all turntables .

This is hifi suck it and see .

Also your post is glaringly incongruous when juxtaposed against the fact that Mr Darwin admits a better belt will be available as an after market add on shortly for all rega turntables which will include the rp9.

Do you have word of the day toilet paper where you just pick a random word and throw it into a sentence?

I've got the Edwards Audio blue belt.

Much better than the OEM Rega black belt. No issues with noise.. then again I own an Rp-6.

I've got the Edwards Audio blue belt.

Much better than the OEM Rega black belt. No issues with noise.. then again I own an Rp-6.

Does it maintain the correct speed? I have known third party belts to make the deck run fast!

Does it maintain the correct speed? I have known third party belts to make the deck run fast!

Curious as to how that could happen. Surely turntable speed is a function only of motor speed and the ratio of the diameters of the motor and platter pulleys. Belt tension, or any other property of the belt (apart, possibly from a lack of friction), shouldn't affect any of these, should it?

I'm just wondering if this is a generally accepted phenomenon, and if so, what the explanation is because, on the face of it, it's no more likely than mains cables making a difference, and we know what short shrift they get, on here.

I'm afraid that is an oversimplification and belt tension does definitely alter speed - easily checked with an accurate strobe.

advertisement

Back