advertisement

System pics 2013 - part II

Audioromy FU29 30W per channel class A, it was £280 delivered from China and honestly sounds amazing. It has so much more clarity and control of the lower freqs than the Brio, the bass is so much more powerful and clear than before, also has a very good soundstage.

It takes some beating the Brio/R in right setup so congrats, I hope the Chinese will last longer than rumours around, would love one myself to run my small Royds but the last Chinese I've heard were pure crap

I got it from eBay and it took about a week to arrive £230 for the amp and £50 delivery.

I'm amazed at the power and drive in this thing, I've got a set of Neat Petites which I thought it would struggle to drive but it has no problems at all and goes very loud without any distortion. I can't take the volume above 9 o'clock as it is just too loud. My only complaint would be the volume pot isn't fine enough and the graduations are too much of an increase in volume so there isn't much control.

mmx2jn.jpg

Daft Punk, Get Lucky playing, wibbly!

"She's up all night 'till the sun
I'm up all night to get some
she's up all night for good fun
I'm up all night to get lucky
I'm up all night to get lucky
I'm up all night to get lucky"

Bit of a shuffle here - the new Klipsch La Scalas in system #2 have effectively evicted the TD-124, so I decided to dismantle and box-up the 301 and run the 124 in the main rig for a while:

9733490297_5cfb2e91c4_o.jpg

Sounds very decent indeed, a little less forthright than the 301 and very natural, I guess a little more stereotypically 'analogue sounding'. I'm using the JR149s in this rig at the moment as the Tannoys are upstairs and there's not a lot I can do about that! It's nice to hear them in the main rig, they really are a lovely little speaker, their voicing is absolutely spot-on IMO.

Have now replaced by TV unit and isoblue rack with a very large incredibly heavy rack and just added a new valve amp that blows the Brio-r completely away, at £280 inc delivery it's one of the best amps I've heard. Have got rid of the super dreadnoughts and just spray painted some Ansa's with black matt car spray, have got some Tellurium Q black arriving tomorrow to see what difference that makes.

vn24.jpg

i5r9.jpg
What do the wires to the top of the valves do?
or are they retaining clips:confused:

Bit of a shuffle here - the new Klipsch La Scalas in system #2 have effectively evicted the TD-124, so I decided to dismantle and box-up the 301 and run the 124 in the main rig for a while:

9733490297_5cfb2e91c4_o.jpg

Sounds very decent indeed, a little less forthright than the 301 and very natural, I guess a little more stereotypically 'analogue sounding'. I'm using the JR149s in this rig at the moment as the Tannoys are upstairs and there's not a lot I can do about that! It's nice to hear them in the main rig, they really are a lovely little speaker, their voicing is absolutely spot-on IMO.

Looks great Tony - that's a super looking system. Any shots of the little JRs ?

James

Looks great Tony - that's a super looking system. Any shots of the little JRs ?

I'd be lying if I said aesthetics / ergonomics had nothing to do with my choices! I do love the look of all this kit! The rest of the room is still in a bit of a state as I've not quite finalised where the 149s go, plus there's all the CDs and junk that was on top of the Tannoys, then on top of the La Scalas, sitting on the floor as the 149s make pretty crap shelves!

Here's an older pic from when they were in system #2:

8705957830_af49251c32_o.jpg

They are lovely little things and represent going full-circle as I started my audio journey with a pair back in 1978. I've not quite finished restoring this pair yet as I want to replace the tweeters as the pair-matching is a bit off (they both "work", just sound a bit different). I've already replaced the B110s with a brand new pair of the Falcon Acoustics identical clone FB110. No expense spared with these as I'll never be getting rid of them. There's always space for a nice little infinite baffle mini-monitor somewhere, and these are certainly one of my favourites.

The 149s look fantastic. Have you seen the matching sub? Now it makes a great coffee table, looking like a giant, more squat 149

The 149s look fantastic. Have you seen the matching sub? Now it makes a great coffee table, looking like a giant, more squat 149

I've seen pictures, even saw one in a shop back in the 70s, though I've never heard one. There were a few versions; active, passive, and a kind of taller thinner one too IIRC. I bet the 149s would crossover to a sub beautifully as they roll off very smoothly indeed - it's one of the things I really like about them: no typical mini-monitor port-boost or hollowness at all, just really clean and tight bass within their performance envelope. No stunts, the price paid being low efficiency. I love their voicing as to don't play the "tish tizz ping look at my sparkle" game that so many modern mini-monitors do either. A beautifully understated and natural little speaker, I could so easily live with them as my main speakers!

I'd be lying if I said aesthetics / ergonomics had nothing to do with my choices! I do love the look of all this kit! The rest of the room is still in a bit of a state as I've not quite finalised where the 149s go, plus there's all the CDs and junk that was on top of the Tannoys, then on top of the La Scalas, sitting on the floor as the 149s make pretty crap shelves!

Here's an older pic from when they were in system #2:

8705957830_af49251c32_o.jpg

They are lovely little things and represent going full-circle as I started my audio journey with a pair back in 1978. I've not quite finished restoring this pair yet as I want to replace the tweeters as the pair-matching is a bit off (they both "work", just sound a bit different). I've already replaced the B110s with a brand new pair of the Falcon Acoustics identical clone FB110. No expense spared with these as I'll never be getting rid of them. There's always space for a nice little infinite baffle mini-monitor somewhere, and these are certainly one of my favourites.

Nice one. They look mint. I remember first seeing a pair when I was around 10 years old in Hughes electrical in Norwich. Still look great today. Enjoy that system :cool:

James

Worth updating System #2 too as that's undergone a few changes of late!:

9740972067_dccb78308d_o.jpg

MacBook Pro running iTunes and Logic Audio Pro X via a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio I/O box (ADC/DAC), TV, Audio Synthesis PAS-01, Quad 303 and Klipsch La Scala. This system still a work in progress whilst I'm learning my way around the La Scalas, but it's getting pretty damn good of late and the huge Klipsch do make sense here as I use this rig for recording analogue synths, bass guitar etc, i.e. nice to have something I'm not likely to blow the tweeters out of by accident (I monitor very quietly, but it wouldn't take much of a mistake to kill say a JR149, these things are good for a clinically insane 121db!). I'll update the Klipsch thread in the classic room as time goes on and I learn more. I suspect this is a speaker one grows into, and certainly one with quite a lot of options / paths available.

advertisement

Back