advertisement

Mogami vs Atlas cables

kinder1973

pfm Member
I'm currently using mogami 2972 OFC 2.0 Quad core speaker cable.
Any good advise/knowledge, :D if they'd recommend Atlas Hyper 111 speaker cable as a worth while upgrade from mogami Quad core?

Thanks
Rob.

The only way to be sure is to try it, but my gut instinct is no. Assuming you are using the Mogami with the two pairs in parallel it has a greater CSA and though I have not tried this particular Atlas cable I tried a few when I lived near a dealer that offered them and was never very impressed. Conversely your current cable has many fans here and elsewhere including some who have replaced far more expensive cables with it.

Using Mogami quad just now between a recently aquired Densen B330+ and WB Arcs/ Epos es 22s.
Normally I would use Exposure or Naim Nac A5 cable. Always been great with my normal Exposure and Dynavector amps. Not so the Densen. Not a happy match at all. Just too much in my face. Lots of wincing
I dug out the mogami. 2X6 meter runs. Use bi wire. That fitted ( and also a Kimber classic power cord) , the Densen sounds how it should at the price. Top class.

Well, I used NAC A5 cable with my Naim kit. I sold all my Naim setup, 72/140 CD3.5 moved over to Densen full kit Beat B400+ CD B200 B300xs... Loved it! . Big improvement! So then changed my NAC A5 cable - to Kimber PR8, which worked better with the Densen setup.

Ive since moved from Kimber speaker cable to mogami Quad Core, Which I found again much easier to enjoy! :)

Just wondering if the Atlas Hyper 111 cable is worth investigating further?????
Seems peeps love mogami Quad core here too.

I moved to 2972 getting on for a decade ago and have since lost all interest in loudspeaker cable. It's a sensible spec, durable, easy to work with and sounds perfectly fine - it will see me out for the rest of my life!

So 2972 is 4 core. I assume you pair up the cores? Is there some advantage to this over 2 core or is it just a case of it being generally robust and flexible studio cable? I assume the latter.

Wiring a quad core cable pairing diagonal conductors is supposed to give a lower inductance IIRC.

The Mogami didn't seem to work very well with my B330. It sounded bit "phasey." Chord Epic Twin was better.

That's surprising???!! My local Densen dealers only use mogami speaker cables with Densen setups - when demonstrating to customers in their dem room .. Never "phasey" sounding.. :-/ Never heard the Chord Epic Twin.

Are you an Audio Council customer Rob? Dave has waxed lyrical about his new mains block (cant remember the name) the Atlas mains and speaker cable so I had a listen yesterday whilst there to order my new Densen 440xs CD player. The mains block and cables provided the biggest improvement. I was taken by surprise as I've been disappointed by esoteric mains bits in the past. The speaker cable also appeared to be an improvement over our Mogami. Cleaner, especially in the bass and treble without losing any of the Mogami strengths. It's only a matter of time before I buy them. If you haven't had a listen book a dem. The caveat is make sure you have £1400 to spend first :).

Yea, I'm an Audio counsel customer. I have seen the new mains block last week. HUGE THING!!! Dave said it was amazing, I think cost £600? if memory serves correct!?. But I have not heard , Or sat down for a demonstration. I've only briefly heard the Atlas Hyper 111 speaker cable few months back. I thought to ask some pfm here who can give their honest input/help/advise, what they think about Atlas Hyper 111 compared to mogami Quad core,, :)

I have been impressed with the atlas cable with my moon amp ,good detail and punch , the equator interconnect is also pretty good . I have not tried mogami so could not make a comparison

Yea, I'm an Audio counsel customer. I have seen the new mains block last week. HUGE THING!!! Dave said it was amazing, I think cost £600? if memory serves correct!?. But I have not heard , Or sat down for a demonstration. I've only briefly heard the Atlas Hyper 111 speaker cable few months back. I thought to ask some pfm here who can give their honest input/help/advise, what they think about Atlas Hyper 111 compared to mogami Quad core,, :)

The mains block is £400 but it needs a lead. Dave uses the Atlas EOS mk2 leads which he sells for £215 for the mains block and the others for £170 each so not cheap. I heard all the mains stuff plus the Atlas Hyper 111 in a Densen 440xs L300/HX100 Obs2 system and l really liked what I heard. I'm going to buy the mains block with its lead and see how it goes at home then if still impresses move to other leads and finally the speaker cable. You really should just book a dem Rob. Trust your name sake. Rob

I'm curious, how can a mains block and/or power leads sound amazing?
Surely it can't make source and amplification components better than their original design?

I'm curious, how can a mains block and/or power leads sound amazing?
Surely it can't make source and amplification components better than their original design?

Amazing is not a word I was use to describe what I heard and I, like you, have been somewhat sceptical about the merits of expensive blocks and cables. But I heard a very positive improvement in the sound of the system when it was dem'd to me. Like a layer of mush had been removed without losing anything good. Anyone owning a Pear Audio based system who lives anywhere near Audio Council go have a listen and let your ears decide.

advertisement

Back