advertisement

System pics 2013 part I

Hi Waxxy,

Welcome to our little diverse family.

Lovely gear you've there - and being that I own an Audiomat Arpege 10 Reference along with two other tube integrated's, I'm all to aware of what you're hinting at in regards to getting off the bandwagon.

As an avid tweaker sort myself - and one whom also uses Symposium Acoustics Rollerblock Jr's + underneath my WTL GTA and said amps with the Svelte shelf as well - it's nice to see someone else that actually places attention to detail in regards to system resonance control devices.

All, to often it seems to me that most are content spending extremely large amounts of money on their components - yet talk them about Isolation Devices / Platforms from the likes of companies like Shun Mook - Yamamoto Sound Craft - Symposium or those rather odd looking Synergistic Research MIGs and its as if - one is speaking a foreign language or something.

Yet, it's always a pleasure to come across others whom understanding the underlying concept - that each/every component has a resonance point that effects the sound.

Yet, to each his/her own - I love tweaking my system as a means of enhancing it even more so.

Once again - welcome on board and I'll be watching you - so don't slip up.
And we've a lot to talk about in regards to tubes - but we can get to that later.

Be well - and Happy Easter to you and yours from an Ex-Canadian to a still current one.

Regards,
o_O scar

A most gracious welcome..thanks very much.

I'm a tweaker too. I have been ever since I heard the improvement a set of footers (feet?) made to the sound of my old Kenwood turntable. Right now everything is on roller bearings of some type or another. I've got Symposium Roller Blocks under the phono stage, Ingress Audio roller bearings under the TT and speakers, and FIM roller bearings under everything else.

And like you, I do understand why some people don't tweak. Everyone has their own set of priorities.

Now that I know I'm being monitored, I'll try and keep my nose clean.:D

Thanks again for the warm welcome, and anytime you'd like to discuss tubes, I'm all ears. BTW, which part of Canada, and how long have you been gone?

WAXXY,

Just a pic. of the Urushi Platinum would have been enough.......:) I thought I knew thec K range, but I'm not aware of Urushi PLATINUMS. Rosewood Plat's, stone bodied plat's (?), yes. What lacquer does it have, and is the output 0.2 mV (at 3.54 c/sec), same as my Vermillion (roughly)?

Your ProAcs do an injustice to your vinyl front end; d'you fancy buying my Reference Fours? Oh, yes. I forgot, your're across the Pond; oh well !:(

Welcome to the forum.

I do fancy your Fours, but I'm afraid I'd have to upgrade the rest of my system to do them justice!

The Urushi is a Vermillion, but the previous owner had it rebuilt by Koetsu with the Platinum magnets, so it is essentially a Rosewood Signature Platinum with an Urushi body. It's my first Koetsu, and Gaaad does it sound good!

513869-koetsu_urushi_vermillion_with_signature_platinum_upgrade_zpsb0845214.jpg

513870-koetsu_urushi_vermillion_with_signature_platinum_upgrade_zps019c9ae5.jpg

I believe it puts out about .3 mV, but that's just based on the figures I've read about the Rosewood Platinum.

Thanks for the welcome.

Waxxy, welcome and lovely system you have there. Nice pics too!

Lovely but of furniture too waxxy, simple but I think the overhang handles on the drawers give it a real Art Deco elegance, nice room.

Waxxy, love your window.

Thanks guys.

The teak cradenza was found by my wife at a thrift store and cost us a grand total of $40.

The stained glass was a gift from my brother, and it fits that window (and the rest of our decor) perfectly.

I do fancy your Fours, but I'm afraid I'd have to upgrade the rest of my system to do them justice!

The Urushi is a Vermillion, but the previous owner had it rebuilt by Koetsu with the Platinum magnets, so it is essentially a Rosewood Signature Platinum with an Urushi body. It's my first Koetsu, and Gaaad does it sound good!

513869-koetsu_urushi_vermillion_with_signature_platinum_upgrade_zpsb0845214.jpg

513870-koetsu_urushi_vermillion_with_signature_platinum_upgrade_zps019c9ae5.jpg

I believe it puts out about .3 mV, but that's just based on the figures I've read about the Rosewood Platinum.

Thanks for the welcome.

That's one peculiar Koetsu ! No wonder I've never heard of it. The description actually says 'Urushi SIG platinum'. Even weirder, as I've never heard of a Urushi Signature either !!!!!!!:) If it was originally a Urushi, I just can't fathom how it could have transmogrified into a souped-up Rosewood Sig.

I shall fall asleep tonight with disturbed dreams of counting alien Koetsus.....

My Sugano SON Vermillion shunts out marginally less than the others. <0.2mV in your language or 0.38 or so mV in ours (at 5cm/sec).

If you could figure out a way to get 366 kilos of Fours plus packaging over to the land of the maple leaf, you wouldn't need to change anything........:D

This is my basic system for now (crap pic via my iPad2 sorry)

b076dc8d3d8b64cf6ea1d1ede0ddf13b_zps440b536e.jpg

As we've just bought our first house the funds are needed there for now!

System is: NAD C320BEE, Acoustic Energy AE109's & music is via my 2012 MacBook Pro, iTunes via an ATV2 and FiiO D3 DAC ;)

Still a fantastic sounding system!

I used to have AE109s over 10 years ago powered by an audio lab 8000s. Loved the sound of that system

sys3_zps3e09e915.jpg

sys2_zpsa5885db8.jpg

sys1_zps23b96a69.jpg

ATC SCM100 (veneer: rosewood); Linn LP12, Akurate Kontrol, Akurate DS, Lingo2; rack: Solidsteel.

Comments here.

I like the clean looks of your system, Jack Barriere. :)
(although I'd try to hide the speaker cable a bit more)

If memory serves me well, you recently had a very large vinyl storage unit against that wall, behind your Linn speakers, am I right ?

So this is what life after Koetsu looks like; think I'll eschew the afterlife while I've still got a few years to run .:D

system-march-2013.jpg

I changed the temporary unit from before to an oak cabinet which handily swallows up system plus most of the wiring too. MDAC lives in the cupboard on the left (temp stable at warm but not hot, due to adequate air around it):

system-march-2013-2.jpg

Planning to move the speakers out and apart a bit once we redo our living room (where the Ikea units to the left of the left hand speaker will go). Also laying the seed idea of some room treatments... give it time, she'll cave :)

The speakers are currently around 14" from the rear wall, slightly less at the inner back corner as they're slightly toed. Playing with listening positions right now - either the sofa in the far field (where bass is better) or the chair in the near(ish) field, where the room seems to recede more but bass is leaner (a null point alas).

system-march-2013.jpg

I changed the temporary unit from before to an oak cabinet which handily swallows up system plus most of the wiring too. MDAC lives in the cupboard on the left (temp stable at warm but not hot, due to adequate air around it):

system-march-2013-2.jpg

Planning to move the speakers out and apart a bit once we redo our living room (where the Ikea units to the left of the left hand speaker will go). Also laying the seed idea of some room treatments... give it time, she'll cave :)

The speakers are currently around 14" from the rear wall, slightly less at the inner back corner as they're slightly toed. Playing with listening positions right now - either the sofa in the far field (where bass is better) or the chair in the near(ish) field, where the room seems to recede more but bass is leaner (a null point alas).

Looking good John!

The speakers dwarf the telly :D

JTC

Unless it's photographic licence, your speakers not only look enormous but seem to have tremendous depth. What are they?

Mike: ATC 100 active floorstanders. Yes, big, deep and heavy (what you also can't see from this angle are the amp packs which poke out the back). They're just under 60cm deep, 120cm high, 40cm-ish wide.

telly is 40" for scale.

advertisement

Back