advertisement

System pics 2013 part I

No not really. The TV is about 4m away from the us when sitting on't sofa. It's also got a resonable downward tilt. The fire's set well back so heat doesn't effect the TV at all.

DSC_1155.jpg

You could improve the S/N ratio by at least 9db by having a less loud carpet ! :)

Fair enough. I like my TVs to have their top bezel roughly at seated head height, so that my angle of view is orthogonal to the screen both vertically and horizontally. I also like everything lined up just nice, see, and dammit I can't get out of the house without checking the locks fifteen times or more..... :)

I've just archived the 2012 thread into the reference room, so it's time to start a fresh one. Here's where I am at present:

8380483942_093acca49b_o.jpg

System #1 is now about as simple as I can make it!

Vinyl: Garrard 301, SME M2-10, Ortofon 2M Black, slate plinth.

Digital: Rega Apollo R and DAC, plus Apple Airport Express and optical or USB connection to Apple Macbook Pro (not shown).

Amp: freshly serviced (thanks Rob!) Quad 34/306. I'm actually using the inbuilt phono stage at present as Rob tweaked it a little and set it up for my cart and it now sounds really nice (used to sound bloody awful, but that was mainly due to a hopeless capacitance mismatch with the Ortofon). I've also got an EAR 834P, but I'm not sure I'll be keeping it now.

Speakers: 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds in slightly altered DIY York cabs, the drivers and crossovers are completely stock.

Cables: Gotham GAC-1 interconnects and Mogami speaker leads.

2013 to do list: Try Quad ESLs, almost certainly ESL63s.

It's sounding really nice at present.

I am loving that set up Tony. It looks nice and (relatively) compact. Can I ask, do you use the DAC with the Apollo? I heard the Apollo the other day as part of a demo and was quite tempted.

Not much to see here, this is the only visually interesting bit of my system (Grant Lumley GL50A):

grant2.jpg

grant1z.jpg

The rest of it is built for discrete looks and to sound damn good.

Can I ask, do you use the DAC with the Apollo? I heard the Apollo the other day as part of a demo and was quite tempted.

Yes, it's hooked-up via coax. I have to admit I'd probably be entirely content with the Apollo R on it's own, the DAC is really only there to add computer audio functionality / future-proofing as I have all my CDs ripped to the computer anyway.

What legs/feet are on the plinth tony?
I need something to use myself.

5679562438_264a7183f0_o.jpg

They are just a lash-up using some old but unused 1970s polyurethane skateboard wheels and some little adjustable cones I got from eBay (like these, but mine aren't gold). The cones are there so I can level the deck, they just sit in the rear bearing recesses of the wheels. It all seems to work very well, and the 'feet' certainly provide some isolation, e.g. tapping the table shows little breakthrough with the stylus on a stationary record. I've not tried any alternates so have no idea how it stacks up sonically, but it's certainly a nice sounding turntable.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Still in the throws of building my second pair of these, so a bit of a mess with all the playing around but here is my set up as it stands, Acoustic Masterpeice Integrated amp (22wpc PP), Well Tempered TT with Reson Reca cart, Sugden phono and DIY Tannoy's.

Some nice pics so far!

Worth a mentioning the kit that i have had running this year at stages that stick out, Lampizator dac 4 very anologue sounding dac so saving pennies and also Hush isolation platform under the TT...marked improvement.

DSCN1048 2 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN1046 2 by simon ms, on Flickr

New Ply cabinets under construction,

DSCN1024 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN1026 by simon ms, on Flickr

Just listening to Grimes on this....:)

Cheers Si.

Still in the throws of building my second pair of these, so a bit of a mess with all the playing around but here is my set up as it stands, Acoustic Masterpeice Integrated amp (22wpc PP), Well Tempered TT with Reson Reca cart, Sugden phono and DIY Tannoy's.

Some nice pics so far!

Worth a mentioning the kit that i have had running this year at stages that stick out, Lampizator dac 4 very anologue sounding dac so saving pennies and also Hush isolation platform under the TT...marked improvement.

DSCN1048 2 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN1046 2 by simon ms, on Flickr

New Ply cabinets under construction,

DSCN1024 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN1026 by simon ms, on Flickr

Just listening to Grimes on this....:)

Cheers Si.

Wow! I am not worthy!

advertisement

Back