advertisement

August Hifi News

Ptah

pfm Member
Some interesting articles as usual including the story of the Mission speakers around 1980, group streamer test and Leema Elements DAC and Perreaux amp reviews.

The most revealing comment comes near the end of a Ken Kessler review of a £23,000 power amp from the Krell designer: "Thanks to a number of causes, I'm in a 'perfect storm' of financial woe...." (so won't be keeping the amp).

What, Ken Kessler's gone bust? The man who's been telling us for 25 years to buy super-bling American gear? The guy with a purpose-designed room full of 301s, 401s, Quads, Thorens, LS3s etc?

Now, let's see if I can find the connection....

I dont know if it was Hifi News or Hifi World but I enjoyed reading the write up on the the Sole LP12 sub chassis from Audio inovations it got a realy good write up so very well done to JohnR a PFM member.:cool:;)
I remember on PFM when John produced his first sole and there was a group buy of them, they allways get good reviews from buyers and his latest version looks excellent quality indeed.

Alan

Not just you, it used to come out in July. Not sure when the change happened. I guess they are desperate for the advertising revenue !!!

Kessler makes his living writing about the high end - not just hifi but watches, wine etc and his publications and thus his paymasters, will acutely be suffering from advertising blues...

If HFNRR had any credibility with me it went completely when they did that quality = power test 'meter' on the cover at the instigation of Musical Fidelity :rolleyes:

That was the biggest bag of balls I've come across in recent years

Some interesting articles as usual including the story of the Mission speakers around 1980, group streamer test and Leema Elements DAC and Perreaux amp reviews.

The most revealing comment comes near the end of a Ken Kessler review of a £23,000 power amp from the Krell designer: "Thanks to a number of causes, I'm in a 'perfect storm' of financial woe...." (so won't be keeping the amp).

What, Ken Kessler's gone bust? The man who's been telling us for 25 years to buy super-bling American gear? The guy with a purpose-designed room full of 301s, 401s, Quads, Thorens, LS3s etc?

Now, let's see if I can find the connection....

Which streamers are in the group? :)

All the comics talk total nonsense anyway..... I just hate the fact that most of the bollocks has become "accepted wisdom" after being propagated for so long.
They are in it to make money (obviously) and therefore it is in their interest to encourage the whole foo peddling scam as it gives them copy, attracts advertising from dealers and manufacturers and encourages plenty of propeller heads to write in to the letters pages!

Anyone can run out of money; however every now and then KK will lament being unable to buy this or that as a standard part of his spiel. Consider it the ultimate hyperbole - "so good I'd buy it"!

All the comics talk total nonsense anyway..... I just hate the fact that most of the bollocks has become "accepted wisdom" after being propagated for so long.
They are in it to make money (obviously) and therefore it is in their interest to encourage the whole foo peddling scam as it gives them copy, attracts advertising from dealers and manufacturers and encourages plenty of propeller heads to write in to the letters pages!

How sad that you write this sort of stuff. You are in business, so you too are 'in it for the money'...does that mean that you 'talk nonsense' and 'bollocks.'? According to your logic it must do.
Hi Fi mags are a vital part of the hobby, they are not 'comics'..Hi Fi News has far more qualified writers than you (I suspect). Most have good degrees from Imperial College. You don't have to buy the mags, but why be so destructive?

How sad that you write this sort of stuff. You are in business, so you too are 'in it for the money'...does that mean that you 'talk nonsense' and 'bollocks.'? According to your logic it must do.
Hi Fi mags are a vital part of the hobby, they are not 'comics'..Hi Fi News has far more qualified writers than you (I suspect). Most have good degrees from Imperial College. You don't have to buy the mags, but why be so destructive?

Oh come on, Paskinn! The hi fi press ran out of credibility 35 years ago. Nobody but the most inexperienced or gullible views ANY of them as more than works of fiction and fantasy.

Chris

Actually I knowingly lose a lot of business because I'm so honest with my customers..... I may be on the breadline (really!) but I sleep soundly ;)

There was a time when good engineers such as Angus Mckenzie, Stanley Kelly, Donald Aldous et al were responsible for the majority of the copy published in UK hi fi magazines. Those days are long gone. There's Paul Miller and erm.... can't think of any others off hand.... must be some.
Most are career journalists who may well have worked for "Woodworker Monthly" or "Catering Today" or whatever before writing for hifi magazines and I can assure you that they often talk total rubbish!
You may remember one Ian Rankin who went on to greater things? He admitted having made up reviews without even unpacking the equipment when he was a respected hifi journalist!!

Destructive? Just don't like to see huge numbers of enthusiasts hood-winked by pseudo scientific bollocks into wasting their money.... Especially when said bollocks becomes so entrenched in the minds of magazine reading non engineers that they end up not believing the likes of myself, Serge and other pros when we try to point out that it is indeed bollocks!

Oh come on, Paskinn! The hi fi press ran out of credibility 35 years ago. Nobody but the most inexperienced or gullible views ANY of them as more than works of fiction and fantasy.

Chris

At least we can agree as long as we stay away from politics then Chris! :)

I love his line, "So good even I'd buy it"..... Except he bottles in with a vague excuse, priceless.

Almost no-one buys stuff simply on the basis of how it performs from a technical standpoint these days; if they did, Apple would have gone out of business last century.

Whether or not they are comics, hi-fi is a review-led business. If enough people see the magazines as purveyors of expensive nonsense to the gullible, both the magazines and the hi-fi 'industry' dies, and dies fast.

It's a symbiotic relationship.

Of course, if the magazines are discredited, and the manufacturers don't have an outlet to show their products, who stands to benefit? The repairers!

Strange isn't it that things went from petty whining to 'bollocks' in the hands of a solder monkey.

Rarely have i seen such a hyperbolic argument... Especially one ending in a completely unwarrented personal insult! You actually think i went through the same twisted chain of "logic" as you?! Sad.

Form his writing, I would say that Kessler's a pompous Ass! Always has been. Always will be.

Maybe he's different in person but I doubt it....

I still buy "the comics" though.

Form his writing, I would say that Kessler's a pompous Ass! Always has been. Always will be.

Maybe he's different in person but I doubt it....

I still buy "the comics" though.

I thought the same from his writing, but then I heard it talk at a hifi show a few years back and he came across as quite a decent bloke.

advertisement

Back