advertisement

Vinyl trend causes discord

350wgmb.jpg

I vowed (to myself) to not get engaged in this type of thread in the Audio forum, and to only reside in the DIY forum, however...

Guys, get yourselves top notch vinyl and digital (not CD necessariily) setups, and the difference between the two formats is surprisingly small, swamped by mastering differences.

I can happily listen to either now.

Cheers!

Martin,

Of course, but when an unqualified comment* is stated as indisputable fact the thread needs to be Trekked.

Joe

* Mastering very much is the wildcard, as you noted.

P.S. Oops, I posted some words. Off for a right proper flounce.

ok , this is really it. :D

you do realize that there is a digital delay line in every vinyl production, and has been for a long, long time.

so..no.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Myths_(Vinyl)

"There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs."

Although you're obviously referring to the Neumann lathes that use an analog preview and then a digital delay to the cutter head. Saying that "every vinyl production" has been subjected to this is an exaggeration. Especially since many of us have vinyl collections which pre-date the Neumann lathe (and pre-date you as well) by decades.

Martin,

Of course, but when an unqualified comment* is stated as indisputable fact the thread needs to be Trekked.

Joe

* Mastering very much is the wildcard, as you noted.

P.S. Oops, I posted some words. Off for a right proper flounce.

Joe,

Enjoy the flouncing, are you sure though that it's legal in your Province :D

Thread crapping, did you ever try different output tubes in your Stingray? - I'm buying a spare set of tubes for the time when everyone sees the thermionic light and they get rare. Picked up a matches set of UK Mullards for the input tubes but Mullards are are too spendy for the 8x output ones. Been looking at NOS Russian ones like the original Manley sourced ones, but gold grid gold pin versions.

TTFN

Martin,

No, I'm still running the original tubes, though coincidentally I was thinking of ordering a complete retube from Manley. Are the original Russian EL84s no longer available?

Joe

"There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs."

fixt

odd. cant link from here. anyway, it is the hydrogen audio vinyl myths page.

ok, *the vast majority* use a digital delay line since the 80s. there are some with analog look ahead, but they arent common..exception rather than the rule...and even without that. you still have the fact that the overwhelming majority of music is produced in the digital domain. that is undeniable. Pro Tools is the defacto standard. not Analog tape machines, which are mostly the province of boutique studios.

you can brush up on this stuff here

http://lathetrolls.phpbbweb.com/lathetrolls.html

Martin,

No, I'm still running the original tubes, though coincidentally I was thinking of ordering a complete retube from Manley. Are the original Russian EL84s no longer available?

Joe

Hi Joe,

AFAIK they're still available, just wondering if there are any different options that are not too pricey.

Cheers

Martin,

Joe

The Russian EL84s are available, get the EL84M, much better. Plenty on
E Bay

fixt

odd. cant link from here. anyway, it is the hydrogen audio vinyl myths page.

ok, *the vast majority* use a digital delay line since the 80s. there are some with analog look ahead, but they arent common..exception rather than the rule...and even without that. you still have the fact that the overwhelming majority of music is produced in the digital domain. that is undeniable. Pro Tools is the defacto standard. not Analog tape machines, which are mostly the province of boutique studios.

you can brush up on this stuff here

http://lathetrolls.phpbbweb.com/lathetrolls.html

Are you still here?

Nic, I seem to remember that he also had a bit of a thing against large horns wanting to take up too much space...

doomsday_machine.jpg

I never realised that they had launched any of the Marleys' joints into orbit but it makes sense when you think about it.

Bob-Marley-Catch-A-Fire-417666.jpg

im not trying to "win"

just discuss, and hopefully help educate some new folks.

and learn myself..and I have. i try to learn something new every day.

guys like Robert and PaulR, Serge, Simon(though I obviously dont agree with his views on vinyl) , etc have all taught me things.

im not trying to "win"

and learn myself..and I have. i try to learn something new every day.

guys like Robert and PaulR, Serge, Simon(though I obviously dont agree with his views on vinyl) , etc have all taught me things.
It's not really discussing if you state "facts", "end of" and then flounce out :)

Vinyl can sound great, of that there is no debate. None.

Perhaps The Teddy Ray Poster needs to learn the proper 'PFM Flounce' technique, as practised by the more experienced members is it? It's no good trying to flounce and come back three times in the same thread, that's not how it is done.

Also, OT, vinyl is better than CD or streaming. With no vinyl there wouldn't be any Record Shops would there?

DS

Perhaps The Teddy Ray Poster needs to learn the proper 'PFM Flounce' technique, as practised by the more experienced members is it? It's no good trying to flounce and come back three times in the same thread, that's not how it is done.

Also, OT, vinyl is better than CD or streaming. With no vinyl there wouldn't be any Record Shops would there?

DS

who needs record stores? I buy my media on the web. ;)

So we've established you're limited in what music you can buy (I.e. vinyl release only). (wink)?

I was kidding. I do buy RSD releases, which unfortunately are only in vinyl sometimes. (grr)

like the uncle tupelo singles and ryan adams ep

the rest is id say...50/50 downloads and CD(which I rip immediately and put in the attic, dont have a CDP)

im not trying to "win"

Edward,

The problem is that with audio the only true education is through one's ears. Your constant bleating on about vinyl not being high fidelity and linking to articles and threads that agree with you cuts absolutely no ice with those whose ears tell them a different story. And you don’t like that. I can imagine the Edward Ray internal monologue:

“I keep telling them vinyl’s no good and they won’t listen”

“Then provide some scientific evidence”

“I did and they still won’t listen”

“Then keep doing the same thing every couple of days until they do”

“Do you think that might work”

“Bound to. If not you can always join yet another audio forum where they might listen to you”

“Bet there are those on PFM who wish I would”

“Maybe, but don’t give them the satisfaction. You’re right after all. You must be. The science says so”

“But WHY won’t they listen?”

“They will, in time. Precious.”

Etc.

advertisement

Back