advertisement

Vinyl trend causes discord

Nic,
He probably beamed 'em via some wifi trickery onto his wrist-pod, after being told that small active portable thingies were the future. It didn't end well for him...

Star_Trek_Starfleet_Wrist_Communicator_double_Taped.JPG

The aggression towards vinyl-lovers is just the thinly veiled envy of those who missed the boat and can't afford decks and LPs.

Hardly! I can afford any deck I want. The amount I *have* spent over the years is truly sickening.

I just dont like it because it sounds bad. Theres nothing more to it than that, really.

if you like it, cool. it just isn't fidelity.

You are misreading me badly. I don't really like physical media, that's true enough. I don't like it because, in the case of vinyl, it sounds inferior & degrades every time you play it, and in the case of vinyl & all other physical media types, it gets in the way of enjoying the music.

But what has that got to do with the music itself? Or the appreciation & love of it?

Over the course of many threads over many years, I have maintained that it is better to have a crappy hi-fi & a superb music collection than the converse.

Chris

Chris,
If you can't see the disconnects between the statements in posts #23 (can't listen to the music if it's on LP or CD) and #68 (if the music is good the medium doesn't matter) and the contradictions within your post #77 quoted above, then I give up. It doesn't matter much anyway.

To you. A subjective view.

Hardly. Read the thread.

In your opinion. Which you have stated in your big gobbed, bullying manner on many occasions. Now give it a rest! :rolleyes:

If I offend someone or step outside of the AUP, I'm sure the mods will tell me, at which time I will gladly adjust. Until then, ill post as I see fit.

what's the problem with debate? Even colorful, opinionated debate? So long as there aren't any *personal* insults, whats the problem?

I am here(and the wam) to learn. I won't learn if I am not challenged, nor will anyone else. Being comfortable/complacent is detrimental to personal growth.

Hardly! I can afford any deck I want. The amount I *have* spent over the years is truly sickening.

I just dont like it because it sounds bad. Theres nothing more to it than that, really.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions.

Lol. It sounds great.

If I offend someone or step outside of the AUP, I'm sure the mods will tell me, at which time I will gladly adjust. Until then, ill post as I see fit.

what's the problem with debate? Even colorful, opinionated debate? So long as there aren't any *personal* insults, whats the problem?

I am here(and the wam) to learn. I won't learn if I am not challenged, nor will anyone else. Being comfortable/complacent is detrimental to personal growth.
Teddy, I'm just not convinced by your previously expressed mission to save noobs. You're on a mission, but it's not the one you claim to be on.

I have some direct drive turntables, and one of my phono stages is a super quiet battery solid state design, if you then use a neutral cartridge with a flat frequency response you can achieve an 'almost' Cd like presentation.
Although I don't believe most vinyl users particularly want their vinyl to sound cd like!
Keith.

You say? How do you figure that out?

Try listening to the Darkside of the Moon final fade on your vinyl system. Then do the same with a CD. On the CD you will hear strains of "Ticket to Ride". It gets totally lost in the background noise on thr vinyl version.

So, just because of it's vastly superior S/N capability, CD is capable of superior resolution.

Chris
By listening to the music.
I am not in the habit of listening to Dark side or to lead out grooves at high volume.
In the interest of "science" I have got hold of the Lp and sacd/cd.
You are quite correct the vinyl does not show up the ticket to ride. However I had to turn the CD up to a much higher volume than i would normally listen to hear trr.
Conversely the vinyl in spite of being quite old sounded much more alive than the CD.
On Time the alarms sounded as if they had been wound up fully - on the CD they seemed flatter by comparison. The background percussion had more attack the sound stage was bigger and deeper, individual instruments and voices are separated out more.
The s/n ratio of CD is not vastly superior. Agreed it is often better but it depends on the quality and cleanliness of the vinyl. I have often compared vinyl to CD with friends and they have been unable to recognise vinyl from excessive background nose. They have invariably preferred the music on vinyl.
CD is a lower resolution to vinyl - it has to be as it is down sampled from the original hi-res master (otherwise it would be a much bigger file size), which could be digital or analogue.
But as you say you enjoy the convenience of digital - what does it matter - you are happy to listen to your streamer, fine. I don't want to limit my listening to only digital.
I am currently listening to Basie Jam #2 it sounds fantastic I just cannot get this quality of sound on CD.

im not doubting that it sounds great to you..

but it isn't high fidelity. theres a standard for that/parameters.

end of.

and with that, I bow out of this thread.

Oh dear, he's gone and said "end of" – the dreaded digital finger poke to the chest – and followed it up with a thread flounce.

Teddy Ray wins!

Wow, a flounce followed by an "I'm really leaving now". Impressive. Just one more attempt at leaving (called a 'Triple Sinatra' in the sport) while simultaneously trying for the last word in your own thread and you could be eligible for the Olympics.

Can you get this on CD?

stnh1932.jpg

Full stop. End of. Says it all, really.

Joe

advertisement

Back