advertisement

Vinyl trend causes discord

No axe grinding here either. .

kasper, forgive my clumsy rhetoric, I wasn't suggesting that was the case it is just that the usual suspects seem to think, wrongly IMO, that those who like vinyl are in some way on a nostalgia trip rather than simply appreciative of the music that such medium conveys which I accept is the case with both you and Greg and why I referred to you both by name.

FWIW, I agree with you both on such matters.

Over the course of many threads over many years, I have maintained that it is better to have a crappy hi-fi & a superb music collection than the converse.
Isn't this what those philosopher fellahs refer to as a false dichotomy? Surely a significant number of pfmers, possibly yourself included, have non-crappy hifis AND superb music collections? I'm not doubting the veracity of your conviction - I expect most of us are music lovers down deep, and would prioritize things just as you have, if forced to make such a choice. We are generally lucky enough to not have to make that decision.

Nasty. A friend of a friend lost an eye to a malfunctioning lift lock cd case recently.
Don't know if it was DCC, MFSL or Sony Mastersound, so best donate all & any to a local charity shop.

My simple point is who is going to have a tt in 30 years?

There are new record players being made, bought, sold all the time at present, and I'd expect many of those 16 year old you spotted in the queue outside Piccadilly Records to be alive in 30 years. As a 48 year old I hope to be around then too!

It is also worth noting that as a 48 year old I enjoy much music that existed before I did, jazz, classical etc, i.e. I own many records that are either older than myself or were pressed when I was far too young to buy them. I am far from alone in this, so it is safe to predict that those 16 year olds will expand their taste in similar ways.

This is as daft an argument as saying a Kindle will render books obsolete. It just won't. Out of X number of people there will always be Y percentage who just prefer a nice big hefty book to squinting at a screen, and a smaller Z percent who not only think that but want to hunt down the collectable 1st edition in pristine condition. As a record dealer I've only ever been interested in the last two groups.

Who of us has a wind-up gramophone?

I have two.

There is a very valid argument for both vinly and books that if the world goes tits-up the only things that will work, in the absence of electricity, will be analogue.

If the world does get to that state one might argue that neither will be high on anyone's list of priorities...

There is a very valid argument for both vinly and books that if the world goes tits-up the only things that will work, in the absence of electricity, will be analogue.

If the world does get to that state one might argue that neither will be high on anyone's list of priorities...

Acoustic gramophones that play LPs will be hard to come by...

You are misreading me badly. I don't really like physical media, that's true enough. I don't like it because, in the case of vinyl, it sounds inferior & degrades every time you play it, and in the case of vinyl & all other physical media types, it gets in the way of enjoying the music.

But what has that got to do with the music itself? Or the appreciation & love of it?

Over the course of many threads over many years, I have maintained that it is better to have a crappy hi-fi & a superb music collection than the converse.

Chris
Ok you don't like physical media, ok you would rather have lots of music and a boom box, but you throw in there that vinyl sounds inferior. It doesn't.

Nasty. A friend of a friend lost an eye to a malfunctioning lift lock cd case recently.
Don't know if it was DCC, MFSL or Sony Mastersound, so best donate all & any to a local charity shop.
<Shudder> It's just not worth the risk - people should just carefully set them aside and I'll come by and pick them up. I'm all trained an' whatnot.

The aggression towards vinyl-lovers is just the thinly veiled envy of those who missed the boat and can't afford decks and LPs.

<Not an advert from the future/>

For sale, unplayed, un-opened flac of 2017 original lineup of boyz band #37. £50 ono.

Dik,

According to "Shaun of the dead" LPs make decent zombie killers.... try doing that with an mp3!!
Good point, well made.

Joe

You fools!

Although I will not live to see it, storage media are going to make a big comeback in the future. Here’s the proof, modelled by Decker unit senior.

Matt_decker.jpg

There are new record players being made, bought, sold all the time at present, and I'd expect many of those 16 year old you spotted in the queue outside Piccadilly Records to be alive in 30 years. As a 48 year old I hope to be around then too!

Tony, Technics' discontinuation of the 1210 suggests that those 16 yr olds won't have the choice of deck you had and anyway, young man, it maybe sooner than you think :p

http://menmedia.co.uk/rochdaleobserver/news/s/1148346_shock_figures_show_towns_death_divide

It is also worth noting that as a 48 year old I enjoy much music that existed before I did, jazz, classical etc, i.e. I own many records that are either older than myself or were pressed when I was far too young to buy them. I am far from alone in this, so it is safe to predict that those 16 year olds will expand their taste in similar ways.

This is as daft an argument as saying a Kindle will render books obsolete. It just won't. Out of X number of people there will always be Y percentage who just prefer a nice big hefty book to squinting at a screen, and a smaller Z percent who not only think that but want to hunt down the collectable 1st edition in pristine condition. As a record dealer I've only ever been interested in the last two groups.

This is not an analogous argument as I am sure you appreciate books remain very much the common mode of access to such information whilst vinyl is now somewhat rather further down the line to obsolescence.

I have two.

You might have 22 but your hardly gonna find discs for them down Fopp.

As I will live 30 years, I'll turn up the music on my Garrard 301 so you can hear it...wherever you are :D

Nic, I seem to remember that he also had a bit of a thing against large horns wanting to take up too much space...

doomsday_machine.jpg

advertisement

Back