advertisement

Mains Cables

Yes, but they will be able to see the gap between the hifi and the electricity supply, which will affect their judgement about the sound quality.

Mark Grant DSP 2.5 (silver) £62.50 for a 1.7m run. You can specify any length you require and pay accordingly. Available on a 30 day sale or return basis. You simply pay the return postage.

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/i...oducts_id=69&zenid=5bf0p4g7ln54p1fj746u7mpbc0

I have 5 of these in my system.

Those who have subjectively heard no benefit from using after-market mains cables, this could be for the following reasons:

1) The mains quality where they are is very good and the substation is very close by.
2) There is a bigger bottleneck somewhere else in the system or how it is set up.
3) The mains cables they have tried aren't actually that good regardless of the cost.
4) Negative expectation bias.

I have experienced 2) and 3) above.

The Mark Grant leads that I use improve instrumental texture, timing and leading eadge definition quite significantly. YMMV in which case send them back within 30 days. He doesn't get many returns apart from those that are of an incorrectly specified length.

interestingly and exceptionally, blind tests show that people can tell the difference between those that are long enough and those that aren't.

Well you are wrong there! My daughter's A60's power cable is not long enough and I've had to employ an extension! Mind you we haven't done any blind tests.

Mods, I suggest that the thread-crap posts be moved to another thread or this will become another circular debate that serves no purpose to the Opening Poster who is surely big enough and old enough not to require unsolicited intervention from the self-appointed consumer champions.

You're not in a good mood this morning, are you, Steven? What's the harm in a little gentle humour on a cloudy Sunday?

I would say with your budget OP stick with the standard Naim mains cable, they do a good job.

I have tried Belden from Audio Freindly who I like as a company but they did no favours to my power amps, I now use one as the lead to a DIY mains block on my 2nd system and the other for my plasma.

I have also tried RA which made things worse IMO and an RMS main line which I did think was quite good initially.

The only power chord I'd actually swap for is the Naim Powerline which is very good indeed but way out of budget for us both!

Mods, I suggest that the thread-crap posts be moved to another thread or this will become another circular debate that serves no purpose to the Opening Poster who is surely big enough and old enough not to require unsolicited intervention from the self-appointed consumer champions.

You may consider sticking to your sales threads, MGrUs and cease trying to control others, unless it is your own forum.
Thank you.

Im not going to join an audio debate on this one.

I would say, make sure whatever you buy has CE certification.

Sure, have audiophile wibbly interconnects, speaker cables etc if you want.

If you have a wife, young children in your home - they deserve to know that cables carrying a potentially lethal voltage in them are safe against drops, liquids, kinks, wear and tear etc.

From a dealers perspective I would advise buying cables which are too short then buying another set which are too long, bears,porridge, just right etc.
Keith.

Yes, but they will be able to see the gap between the hifi and the electricity supply, which will affect their judgement about the sound quality.
No, the one in which I participated set the HiFi at 3m from the socket. We weren't allowed to see the cables, and the order was random. Same track played every time. The result was nearly 100% in favour of long cables which could reach the socket.

My theory, and it possibly needs testing, is that it was the lack of electricity reaching the HiFi with the cables that came up short that affected sound quality.

Mark Grant DSP 2.5 (silver) £62.50 for a 1.7m run. You can specify any length you require and pay accordingly. Available on a 30 day sale or return basis. You simply pay the return postage.

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/i...oducts_id=69&zenid=5bf0p4g7ln54p1fj746u7mpbc0

I have 5 of these in my system.

Those who have subjectively heard no benefit from using after-market mains cables, this could be for the following reasons:

1) The mains quality where they are is very good and the substation is very close by.
2) There is a bigger bottleneck somewhere else in the system or how it is set up.
3) The mains cables they have tried aren't actually that good regardless of the cost.
4) Negative expectation bias.

I have experienced 2) and 3) above.

The Mark Grant leads that I use improve instrumental texture, timing and leading eadge definition quite significantly. YMMV in which case send them back within 30 days. He doesn't get many returns apart from those that are of an incorrectly specified length.

You missed out a reason

5) They do not work.

What difference is it going to make if the cabling from the sub station is not up to the same spec. as the relatively short end user flexible lead? If the cable can carry the max. current draw at the rated voltage without overheating surely that is sufficient? The 13 amp fuse is also going to negate any so called benefits isn't it?

What difference is it going to make if the cabling from the sub station is not up to the same spec. as the relatively short end user flexible lead? If the cable can carry the max. current draw at the rated voltage without overheating surely that is sufficient? The 13 amp fuse is also going to negate any so called benefits isn't it?

I think it's about controlling those elements you can control, ie the cabling once it's past your consumer unit.

Regarding the elements I can control, I'm off out climbing. Have a nice time here without me, if I'm back before teatime then the rain (an element beyond my control) has landed or alternatively my ropes aren't long enough.:)

Steve,
I was referring to cabling from sub station right through to your domestic 13 amp wall socket. Incidentally, I have tried a dedicated mains spur (professionally installed) once when we had a rewire of a house - personally I could not detect any difference and my power amps. still had a transformer buzz when the washing machine motor was on!

I had an electrician run a spur direct from my consumer unit to 4 high quality sockets. It's about 40 foot long. I'm no techie but it seems absurd to me to think that changing the last metre or so to the system (so long as it is no worse than the spur) will make any difference at all.

advertisement

Back