advertisement

Tellurium Q Black vs NACA5

They have released a blue power cable also, which i am going to try against my powerline. The powerline is good so it will be a tough battle!

I moved from NACA5 to Chord Epic.
Very similar sound to my ear and no issues for the amp. Given that Epic actually bends and doesn't cause swearing during installation I sold the NACA5.
I have since tried TQ Black and found it no better than Chord Epic at a similar price so have stuck with the Epic.

Interesting. I had Epic and found a big difference in focus and timing with the TQ black. Epic sounded a bit vague and woolly in comparison. I like Epic, so that's not something I'd expected.

Interesting. I had Epic and found a big difference in focus and timing with the TQ black. Epic sounded a bit vague and woolly in comparison. I like Epic, so that's not something I'd expected.

Hi Pani/Orangutan and Sue Pertwee-Tyr; First off Pani you simply much try to audition a pair of AR Sound Greenlink's I think that you'll be quite shocked just how nice they sound. As for Orangutan and SP-T I must ask as I'm considering several speaker cables as a means to voice my Nait 2 to taste as have been inquiring about alternatives with very little if any response - I'm about to audition a pair of Auditorium 23's this week and have been considering the Epic Twins as a part of me doesn't want to go back to Naim Cables as I've used these through the 80's ( NACA-4 ) followed by NACA-5 in 2002/03. I've followed several post on the Naim forum where some users of the older CB and/or Olive Naim gear appear to love the Epic Twin. Could either of you please tell me more about it as compared to the Naim cable?, I'm very much into the Nait 2, but since I've been into both Harmonic Technogies and Acoustic Zen based solid core cabling looms since 2001, I guess I'm more into a roller - slightly richer - warmer sound with the round earth imagining thing going on. Please share your opinions based solely on your findings - could this be a worthwhile option to pursue?, a 12' pair retails for $801. here in the states. Please advise. Regards,Oscar

I have heard the AR sound Greenlink and Lunar, both terrific cables but Greenlink somewhat lacked warmth and Lunar sounded forward. Else there was no turning back.

Sorry, Kt77, I haven't used any Naim cables, because I don't use Naim kit, my experience was directly relevant to TQ Black compared to Chord Epic Twin. The TQ is said to be more phase-coherent, certainly images were more focussed, and there was more room to follow individual instruments. The Chord is a very nice cable, but sounds a little soft-focussed and mellow in comparison. If you prefer a richer, warmer sound then the Chord might do it for you, but I'd stick by my recommendation as to the TQ Black. You should try to get a listen, if you can.

I tried an Avondale RMS power cord and that showed me how much veil the stock Naim power cord adds but the Avondale power cord sounded lean and slower (less groovy) than the Naim power cords. That is the reason I was thinking of a powerline.

Do you really think Nait 5i is the cause of veilness ? Why is it that whenever I change to some other cable some amount of veil is lifted ?

The Powerline is superb, I love it, used it on my 160, KarikIII CDP and various phono stage PSUs, lent it to a mate who liked it on his XPS feeding CDX.

Thing is it's very pricey, I'd like them throughout my system but having 3PSUs & 2 power amps make it unaffordable so I sold the one I had, maybe one day....

A £500 cable on a Nait, umm, think I'd buy a better amp.

I have heard the AR sound Greenlink and Lunar, both terrific cables but Greenlink somewhat lacked warmth and Lunar sounded forward. Else there was no turning back.

Hi Pani, It's nice to know that at else you've tried them - I've a couple of friends whom have heard the Greenlink's and liked them enough to buy their own, so I guess like most things as they relate to audio - it's a synergy thing, but they work well in my system. I'm still enjoying the Crimson RM Music-Link Speaker Cables, but would like a little bit more warmth in the midrange as used with the Nait 2 - a little more refinement wouldn't hurt. Be well - Pani. Regards, Oscar

Sorry, Kt77, I haven't used any Naim cables, because I don't use Naim kit, my experience was directly relevant to TQ Black compared to Chord Epic Twin. The TQ is said to be more phase-coherent, certainly images were more focussed, and there was more room to follow individual instruments. The Chord is a very nice cable, but sounds a little soft-focussed and mellow in comparison. If you prefer a richer, warmer sound then the Chord might do it for you, but I'd stick by my recommendation as to the TQ Black. You should try to get a listen, if you can.

Hi Sue Pertwee- Tyr, Thanks for sharing your point of views - as it does give me more insight into what's what. And seeming that the premiere Naim dealer here in the states carries the TQ at a price lesser then the Epic Twins I've to give them a try. As shown: http://shop.generubinaudio.com/Tellurium-Q-Black-Speaker-Cable-456986584458.htm but a little warmth and texture is in my book always a good thing. Thanks again, Oscar

A £500 cable on a Nait, umm, think I'd buy a better amp.

Umm, I really like the Nait, but I'm pretty cool on the rest of the Naim gear. I wouldn't be surprised if I preferred the Nait with a big-bucks mains lead to a bigger Naim amp.

Mind you, I'd probably prefer the Nait with a cheap mains lead to a bigger Naim amp, so that doesn't really prove anything. ;)

Gaius, I liked the nait 5i more than nait xs. Except for more power I also did not find the supernait any better than a 5i. All this in head to head comparison at the naim store spanning over 3-4 auditions. So the only upgrade path remaining is 202/200. Which is some distance away but will eventually happen. Anyway I am still not getting what my cd5x flatcap2x nait 5i is capable of so if I spend about GBP 1000 and buy couple of fraim and powerlines then I am good for couple of years at least. My speakers are Tannoy Turnberry SE which in living room is very happy with the 50 watts the 5i belts out effortlessly so it now boils down to resolution without compromising musicality.

Hi Pani, It's nice to know that at else you've tried them - I've a couple of friends whom have heard the Greenlink's and liked them enough to buy their own, so I guess like most things as they relate to audio - it's a synergy thing, but they work well in my system. I'm still enjoying the Crimson RM Music-Link Speaker Cables, but would like a little bit more warmth in the midrange as used with the Nait 2 - a little more refinement wouldn't hurt. Be well - Pani. Regards, Oscar

Hey I was also us

Hey I was also using the crimson musiclink IC for 2 years. I was very happy by then it was a non naim setup. With naim the simple lavender stock IC bettered it.

Hello Naimsg,
Thanks for your suggestion. I did try Hiline sometime back, while it added focus it did not lift the veil from the sound, the way your Lunar did;). The Hiline rather added a little more veil over the Lavender as well. I suppose you tried the TQ cables from Raindrop audio, what was your conclusion ? Being a Naim follower and knowing a little about my system and taste your advice can be valuable.

To my memory, Hi Line will help to remove those edges.

Yes. I listened to the TQ black and Ultrablack at Raindrop. They are good but the system needs to be properly matched and installed. This is especially true for the Ultrablack. I find they improve the timing, tonal accuracy, image, clarity, details and etc when compared to NACA 5. Generally I love the effect of TQ products.

Aim for a Nac 52/252? The Nac 52/252 is unique in the Naim reference series. You may like it :).

Teddy maybe launching his preamp soon, think it maybe worth looking at that as well. One good thing about Teddy's products is that one does not have to worry about crappy mains. I have completely no problem with dimmer dials, fridge pumps and certain kind of light switches when I am using Teddy's products. Most people live in small apartments with lots of neighbours nearby in Singapore, and we have totally no control over what our neighbours do to their mains. Imagine your apartment mates with over 10 SMPS in their extension main blocks :mad:

Which mains block are you referring to ?

Do you really think Nait 5i is the cause of veilness ? Why is it that whenever I change to some other cable some amount of veil is lifted ?

Any star-earthed main blocks will do. You can DIY it. There is a shop near Boon Keng MRT station that sells a lot of electrical parts at very reasonable prices. I think a lot of professional contractors buy their stocks there. They carry MK, Legend and etc. Alternatively you can buy ready made star-earthed main blocks from grahams (hydra) or Mark Grant. Mark Grant makes high quality products and services. There are some other options from ebay (like audiosmile).

The Nait 5i is a very good amplifier for its class, but it has certain limitations. These limitations are addressed in higher Naim products. Did the local Naim dealer demo the 122/150x for you before?

Umm, I really like the Nait, but I'm pretty cool on the rest of the Naim gear. I wouldn't be surprised if I preferred the Nait with a big-bucks mains lead to a bigger Naim amp.

Mind you, I'd probably prefer the Nait with a cheap mains lead to a bigger Naim amp, so that doesn't really prove anything. ;)

I used to have a Nait some 20-odd years ago. If I don't remember wrong, it has a captive power cord so you'd have to add an IEC socket to use a Powerline, which is an altogether excellent albeit very costly power cable.
If you wish to experiment with a very balanced upgrade for your Nait1, I never use so-called stock Naim power cords, instead I do my own cables with Sommercable Silcoflex silicone cable and good IECs and Schuko plugs.
I find silicone cable (simple 3x1.5) better than any PVC insulated cable, is not a fancy, miracle cord but audibly better, to my ears, than any PC-like stock cord found in the box.
Cheers,
M.

I have these in my system for a day now, replacing the NACA5. Immediately noticed a wider soundstage and perhaps more bass. Not sure about the mids and highs yet.

To muddy the waters, I've decided that I prefer NAC A5 to NAC A5. I've just replaced some 18+ year old lengths. It goes off. Try it if you don't believe me...

And no, I don't own a Shakti stone.

I moved from NACA5 to Chord Epic.
Very similar sound to my ear and no issues for the amp. Given that Epic actually bends and doesn't cause swearing during installation I sold the NACA5.
I have since tried TQ Black and found it no better than Chord Epic at a similar price so have stuck with the Epic.

I have both NAC A5 and Epic in 11m lengths. Both different, with the Epic cleaner but lacking something on the emotive side, the NAC A5 a better all-rounder in my system.

Having just changed to big panels from my big moving coils, i guess I'll have to try the Epic again to see if it's more compatible.

To muddy the waters, I've decided that I prefer NAC A5 to NAC A5. I've just replaced some 18+ year old lengths. It goes off. Try it if you don't believe me...

And no, I don't own a Shakti stone.

I've found the same once the pin's piano wire wears out making a dodgy connection. Easy fix though with a new 4mm pin soldered on so don't throw away that old NACA just yet.

advertisement

Back