advertisement

Desert Island Discs

Crash!

pfm Member
So you've been to see Kirsty Young and you've talked her through both of your defining moments and you'll shortly be off to your desert island.

Somehow, you managed to get away with stipulating that your luxury item was your better half; which was a stroke of genius, although on balance you're starting to doubt whether choosing Wagner's Ring Cycle on an MP3 player really was that bright... Not only that, with two of you there, it would be rather nice to sit on the beach and listen to music out of speakers - you never know, in 24 hours of music, there might be a few bars strung together in a way that the Misses likes...

You talk it over with the producers. Given the unusual circumstances, they let you spend £100 of your own money on some rechargeable travel speakers as long as you can fit them in your cabin bag. What speakers do you choose?

Surely in the end, it has to be some kind of wind-up gramophone, which was what they probably had in mind when the programme was first aired.

Slightly off topic, but I was delighted to find that every Desert Island Disc episode since about 1991 is available on iTunes podcasts (and I'm sure elsewhere as well) albeit with the music lengths reduced (quite often a good thing in my opinion!).

Can I scour ebay for a second hand Marantz amp, cd player and a pair of cheap Missions (possible for under £100) and ignore the delivery requirement please, or am I taking this too literally?

To me Desert Island discs is very twee and Radio 4 at its worst.

I dont like the format and in these days when we have thousands of tracks on an i pod the whole notion of choosing ten of them becomes even more ridiculous.

Its interesting when they have Gods like Morrissey on but the format is twee,dated and should be shelved.

I dont know..... solar powered speakers? Is there a giant hotel up the beach like on Langkawi Island?

I think the game is that it has to fit in the cabin bag so a pile of secondhand gear from the 80s and 90s is out of bounds here. I think we can suspend disbelief re charging, let's assume a solar battery charger keeps the thing alive under the tropical sun. Which docking thing? God knows though.

I was really after some advice on travel speakers.

I'm off to Cuba in a few weeks and staying on a virtually deserted island for some of that. There should be 110v ac for at least some of the time, but I was after something that could be taken down to the beach with a long drink to emit some Einaudi generated from my (non i)phone.

Has anyone played with the iHome or Mini-x usb rechargeable speakers?

advertisement

Back