advertisement

What's all the aggression about in the audio room?

There is a lot of truth in this. I've got a very expensive system that sounds very good. (WTA GTA/32.5 Hicap/mono 110s/ Neat Ultimatums) However I recently put together a Sony DD/Creek/Kef system for £200 in another room. I really enjoy it partly because 'it' doesn't cross my mind when I put a record on. It's all about the music, nothing else. I find myself playing it rather than the posh one.

I totally, agree.

Irrespective of the hifi, I never realised how important the room was until I visited a friend's home in the Wicklow Hills with paved floors et al and put Kind of Blue on the ghetto blaster. Astonishing sound.

I don't think it is the room. I bought the Sony for £75 to find out what the DD thing was about. I put it on a Lack table and plugged it in in place of my LP12, Ekos, Akiva, Lingo 2, Mana Ref and sure enough it was not quite as good. Everything changed after that.

Group E

Technically competent long time audiophiles who recognise marketing foo but remain open minded enough to trust their ears and have discovered that all amplifiers do not sound the same and that some basically adequate cables do in fact sound different too

Group F

Technically competent but closed minded (and often voiciferously so) individuals who are unwilling to trust their own ears or accept that others can hear things that they can't - very similar to Group A ;)

The 'all the science is finished' argument is ultimately a little nonsensical. You could say the same about automotive engineering; we are often driving round in 19th Century engineering concepts, but with 21st Century improvements.

Indeed. Will 'all the science' ever be finished? If yes, not soon.

I don't think it is the room. I bought the Sony for £75 to find out what the DD thing was about. I put it on a Lack table and plugged it in in place of my LP12, Ekos, Akiva, Lingo 2, Mana Ref and sure enough it was not quite as good. Everything changed after that.

Reminds me of a friend of mine who used to enjoy fine cars. He then borrowed an old 3 series and liked it so much he kept it. He still enjoys his driving and realised he didn't need to spend £100K on his cars any more. Me, I'd take the Maserati as I like what they do.

Trouble with hifi is that too many people try to defend what they have or what they think. Your not quite as good is another man's night and day. You're both right.

One of the things that I quite like about the hifi side of listening to music is the concept of trying to reach for a greater performance. There's something very pointless but very satisfying about making something better. Of course it is much easier to go through life accepting what's thrust in front of you and not being particularly discerning, but whats the fun in that?

Group A:

Technically sophisticated long time audiophiles who know foo when the hear it. Some of these individuals are Alpha males type personalities and won't let any foo go unchallenged.
Chuckle. I'm not sure I'd classify OCD nerdery as "Alpha male" :)

I bought one when living in halls at uni and kept it for a fair few years after... It's a good deck! It had an RB300 arm and K18; £390 all in from a S/H shop. Amp was a Cyrus 2/PSX, Mission DAD7000 and MA Studio 6 speakers in piano red. :) a System/era full of fond memories.

The LP12 is a very nice sounding TT. Linn didn't sell 10,000+ of them because they look good.

Spacey, you know as well as I do that the LP12 is just about the greatest con the audio world has ever seen and credit to those on pfm who have admitted not only going back to the turntables that that turntable replaced but now having a better sound as a result.

I may, relatively speaking, be the new kid on the audio block, here, and may not buy anything :D but it only took me 5 minutes of listening to one next to an idler to hear the night and day, and buy the idler, so maybe I'm learning rather more quickly than I had thought.

Spacey, you know as well as I do that the LP12 is just about the greatest con the audio world has ever seen and credit to those on pfm who have admitted not only going back to the turntables that that turntable replaced but now having a better sound as a result.

I may, relatively speaking, be the new kid on the audio block, here, and may not buy anything :D but it only took me 5 minutes of listening to one next to an idler to hear the night and day, and buy the idler, so maybe I'm learning rather more quickly than I had thought.

So because you like other turntables more than the LP12, the LP12 is the greatest con the audio world has ever seen. I think you've been conned into believing it's a con!

The LP12 is a very nice sounding TT. Some people like it, some don't. Some people make ridiculous statements about it.

So because you like other turntables more than the LP12, the LP12 is the greatest con the audio world has ever seen. I think you've been conned into believing it's a con!

The LP12 is a very nice sounding TT. Some people like it, some don't. Some people make ridiculous statements about it.

Some people were conned some people weren't.

The point is, sunshine, I wasn't conned, I didn't buy it.

Nor did I buy the keel, the whatever and the whatever else you had to buy to improve it! All at "ridiculous" prices. :D

advertisement

Back