advertisement

itunes problem

Interzone

pfm Member
I have a mac mini in my second system that accesses music from the mini in my main system (ie the mini in the main system acts as a NAS for the one in the second system).

It all works absolutely perfectly unless I try to use the remote app on the mini in the second system. And more specifically only when I use remote immediately after starting up the machine* in the second system. I simply get 'an unknown error occured. check your library and try again'. If I then screen share and look at itunes the correct song is selected but is not playing and has an exclamation mark next to it. If I then select the song via itunes it plays as normal and remote works from that point onwards. Any ideas?

*or at least if itunes has not been accessed directly since start-up

Your problem is that your external mini is not awake quick enough, so your local mac minis itunes library thinks the music has gone missing.

Are you using the home sharing facility or are you mounting the other mini as a drive for itunes locally?

Your problem is that your external mini is not awake quick enough, so your local mac minis itunes library thinks the music has gone missing.

Are you using the home sharing facility or are you mounting the other mini as a drive for itunes locally?

The mini with the music on is on 24/7. Just home sharing. As I said it works perfectly as long as I have accessed iTunes directly at some point.

It doesn't matter how long the machines have been on, if I try to access music using remote for the first time since startup on the second mini i get the error code but if I do it directly (via screen share or otherwise) it plays perfectly immediately and remote then works 100%.

OK, so is it the remote ap timing out? Maybe you have an DHCP/IP conflict?
Have you tried creating static MAC/IP addresses for the whole system?

OK, so is it the remote ap timing out? Maybe you have an DHCP/IP conflict?
Have you tried creating static MAC/IP addresses for the whole system?

They all have fixed IP (everything on the network does as my router has IP reservation so even if the device uses dhcp it always defaults to the same IP). As I said it's only when using remote for the first time after startup. Somehow remote can't find the music on the other machine but a mouse click in the same iTunes window can. and this allows remote to function properly.

I'm afraid that this is an iTunes issue that can't be fixed any way other than ensuring that the drive containing the music is woken before the remote device tries to access it. If you go into iTunes>Preferences>Advanced you'll see that the iTunes music folder location has changed to whatever the default folder that the program normally uses. It's a bummer but there's no way round it. I have this all the time with my rather more standard Mac mini/NAS combination. Once you forget and start iTunes before mounting the drive, the folder changes and you have to re-do it. Pain in the arse. A different music client is the only way as far as I'm aware.

I'm afraid that this is an iTunes issue that can't be fixed any way other than ensuring that the drive containing the music is woken before the remote device tries to access it. If you go into iTunes>Preferences>Advanced you'll see that the iTunes music folder location has changed to whatever the default folder that the program normally uses. It's a bummer but there's no way round it. I have this all the time with my rather more standard Mac mini/NAS combination. Once you forget and start iTunes before mounting the drive, the folder changes and you have to re-do it. Pain in the arse. A different music client is the only way as far as I'm aware.

Thanks for the info. I tend to just use vnc to access iTunes for the first time then use remote after that so it's not massive issue but it was annoying me that I might have something set up wrong.

Is the 2nd Mini trying to access the library on the 1st HD directly or sharing through iTunes so it appears in the sidebar?

A lot of Apple problems seem to be come down to them making things far to too simple to 'just work'. You expect there to be some complicated setup or configuration so it's easy to miss that it's already working on its own devices.

A lot of Apple problems seem to be come down to them making things far to too simple to 'just work'. You expect there to be some complicated setup or configuration so it's easy to miss that it's already working on its own devices.

True. Thanks for the help. Appreciated. :)

advertisement

Back