advertisement

MDAC first listen (part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a very strange thing yesterday (first malfunction since new - a few months). I was listening fine, then I switched track, and volume & distortion went though the roof, switched again & it was OK, back to the "problem" track and it was OK too. a second track then also showed the same behavior. Power cycling the MDAC cured it. Anyone else had this?.

Derek

Random miss lock - Due to a design bug in the ESS DAC IC, once in a blue moon its prone to miss lock...

I've personally not experienced it for a while...

Are you still on the original software - or one of our Pre-release Beta's?

Random miss lock - Due to a design bug in the ESS DAC IC, once in a blue moon its prone to miss lock...

Hi John, I'm on the original software.

Derek

Mines crackled 3 times this evening now - all using USB. Any filter setting. 16-bit material. Left channel only. Cycling inputs 'cures' it for a random period of time...

Hopefully this can be solved with another firmware release?

- John

Mines crackled 3 times this evening now - all using USB. Any filter setting. 16-bit material. Left channel only. Cycling inputs 'cures' it for a random period of time...

Hopefully this can be solved with another firmware release?

- John

Hi John,

Its no the Buffer level is it? Enable the buffer display and just confirm that it remains around 50% during "crackling",

John

I was looking at one of the 20W processors....

John

Why not go for a fusion/higher spec atom? I use a fusion based pc for playing blu-rays, dvds, streaming films off my network (dvd images), playing music off spotify, Iplayer and locally hosted flacs.. Has no problems what so ever doing any and all of the above.. Have also used it for ripping dvds/cds and does that faster than my laptop..

And there are native distros compiled for OpenELEC, the open source XBMC operating system.. Very very slick to use!

Just my rambing thoughts on this as I have been on this very same journey recently.

Sam

And there are native distros compiled for OpenELEC, the open source XBMC operating system.. Very very slick to use!

+1 for OpenELEC, I have it running on an old (by pc standards) acer revo nettop with an atom 330 and it pulls like a train, hdtv no problem...

The only test I havent done with openelec and my mdac is the bitperfect test.. Would be interesting to see if it passes.

Hi Phil,

Planning to use an Intel DH61AG - decent quality and supports i5 and i7 with DVI and HDMI - unless a better option comes up?

BDAC, MPAX, MTRN, MAMP & then MITX...

John

The DH61AG is a very interesting motherboard which should satisfy many of us in terms of features (heat dissipation may be a concern as highlighted by others).

My only concern is that the H61 chipset was introduced over a year ago, which means that a replacement of this board may become available before the MITX is released... actually there is already a replacement for it, called the DQ77KB

John, is there a reason for picking the H61 Chipset over H67 and Z68?

Since the release of the MITX is not imminent maybe you should consider using one of the upcoming 22nm Ivy Bridge CPUs and a mainboard featuring a Series 7 Panther Point Chipset.

Nevertheless I like your choice to go with an Intel mainboard. Many of their mainboards have a internal CIR (Consumer Infrared Receiver) header. You could integrate an IR receiver into the MITX. Intel provides a Windows driver with the mainboards. If I remember correctly, this solution is fully MCE Remote compatible and can be used with a lot of universal remotes (like a Logitech Harmony).

There are fully assembled IR receiver kits like this:
http://shop.inteset.com/Products/5-intel-cir-receiver.aspx

And I remember some guy on the AVS Forum describing how to build your own:

rajdude said:
If you can forgo the learning capabilities, you can get the project done with < $10 in parts and 6 solder joints. All you need is a discrete 3-lead IR receiver (some good choices are here (http://www.vishay.com/ir-receiver-modules/)), a 10uF capacitor, a 100 ohm resistor, some cabling and a molex header connector (or, if you have an internal 1394 connector, you can just cut one end off and use 3 wires for the solder connections. The capacitor needs to be soldered in parallel between the +5V and ground lines. The resistor needs to be in series with the +5V line (the third diagram down on page 4 in the pdf mentioned above.) Its probably easiest to use all leaded components (i.e. with long legs). If you have moderate soldering skills, this should be a snap. You will need to connect the CIR header pins 1, 5, and 8 to the device pins Gnd, +5V, and CIR-Input, respectively."

-> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-1050640-p-7.html

Besides the possibility of nearly invisible integration this solution has a big advantage over external usb ir receiver: It can power on your pc!

Don't know if this works with Linux :confused:

Michael

Hi Phil,

Planning to use an Intel DH61AG - decent quality and supports i5 and i7 with DVI and HDMI - unless a better option comes up?

BDAC, MPAX, MTRN, MAMP & then MITX...

John

Thanks for the reply. Just getting itchy feet on getting a quality hifi streaming device in place.

Living with laptop at the moment, but its a general use one and it has no place along side the rest of AV hifi. Unless I do late night listening I'm finding that I just grab the odd 1/2 hour here and there. So need to find simple switch on and play device which is high SQ.

Looks like we'll be lucky to see the MITX this year maybe ... ?

I've tried Sonos/SBT but not cutting it , for me.:confused:

Thinking about it, might get an IPAD to stream from in the iterim

Can't believe how good spotify sounds via MDAC btw ...thanks again for this amazing product. Currently listening to new spotify app callled digster. Kanye West playlist :D

I get occasional white noise type of effect through left channel. I power cycle the MDAC and it's ok again. On original software. Happy to try new update, in fact really looking forward to it, but, as this has happened maybe three times in six months, not sure I'd be adding much to the knowledge base!

What's not to like about bitperfect output from an SBT? :confused:

bitperfect plus noise;)

To be fair never got round to trying USB mod. Wasn't avail when I sold.
On its own no server the SBT was slow and failed regularly on hires.
My nas is a basic WD affair , processor not upto job to run LMS.

Straight comparison on hires material betweem SBT and Laptop was close, but there was a difference in SQ and the laptop won (MDAC usb did the job). My thought was to invest money on dedicated server . Can't get my head around the need for SBT plus PC, when bespoke PC server will beat the SBT on sound quality..

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back