advertisement

Music for comparisons

Hmm I wonder what outputs my electric drum kit has? Though I doubt anyone is going to want to use 3 minutes of me prattling around on the drums as a test ! :D

I discussed this with Simon this evening and we'll be moving to shorter clips for the moment.

Just out of interest, I wonder what the legal position is wrt where the files are hosted, since technically the files aren't hosted on the websites providing the link, but the file hosting company.

However, clearly we need to build up a library of royalty free music to use this useful tool.
I can play GarageBand on the iPad..........ok perhaps not :)

I discussed this with Simon this evening and we'll be moving to shorter clips for the moment.

From what I can tell there is no legal difference between full tracks and excerpts: both share the same copyright, and neither have been cleared for this use by the copyright owners. I am certain that sites such as Amazon, iTunes, Bleep etc that host samples in a try before you buy capacity will either have express permission to do so or it will be a contractual clause in their sales agreement with the artist / label. We do not have any of these things, so we are at risk. My position is that I'll only host links to downloads of copyright-free music on this site. I'm not touching anything else. The only grey area is YouTube as, whilst it is absolutely riddled with stolen music and film, surely the responsibility for screening this content lies with them, not me. Lovers of irony should note it's owned by Google too!

PS I'd not host links to YouTube hosted needle-drops either, so please no one think that's a way around this one!

It was fun while it lasted but the novelty wore off. Interesting how you can do a google search of "needle drop" and thread names from Pink Fish still come up. When do those go away or do they remain for eternity?

I think YouTube have agreements with the performance right agencies.

US copyright law specifically defines 'fair use' and I think an extract of a needledrop falls into this definition. The UK isn't up to date on this yet, last time I looked. The rest of the world? Who knows.

Anyway it would be very neat to have a PFM record.

Paul

I wonder whether a PRS 'Clips' type licence would cover our usage? £59 a year seems too good to be true...

Paul

I wonder whether a PRS 'Clips' type licence would cover our usage? £59 a year seems too good to be true...

Paul

If it allows a decent length of clip I'll gladly buy one even for twice that.

I will however start putting together a library of material that can be freely used and is royalty free.
There is actually plenty out there but it's rather scattered.

On the legal issues, it just can't be this vague so I'll also be consulting some legal brains and seeking some advice.

<edit>

Surely something like this licence would cover it?

http://www.prsformusic.com/users/broadcastandonline/onlinemobile/musicservices/loml/Pages/LOML.aspx

There's a gotcha at the bottom of the page. That covers the music copyright but not the recording copyright. OTOH PRS do offer combined licences for some usages.

It's probably worth approaching them and asking the question.

We aren't actually wanting to do something that deprives copyright holders of income, nor that creates any direct income for ourselves. It's like a bakeoff with the added complication that it necessarily involves a copying process. (It's another question whether a 'bakeoff' in a private home that is advertised or organised via a public forum needs a performance licence....)

Paul

advertisement

Back