advertisement

Help! I am looking for place where I could fix my speakers

luckyguliver

pfm Member
Hi,

Please help me out. I bought old pair of proac's. When I got back home it turned out that one of the speakers isn't working. It looks like tweeter is fine but mid/bass unit is dead.Hence I am looking for reliable person who could fix it. Ideally in London. Do you know anyone who you could recommend?

Many,many thanks

Hi,

Please help me out. I bought old pair of proac's. When I got back home it turned out that one of the speakers isn't working. It looks like tweeter is fine but mid/bass unit is dead.Hence I am looking for reliable person who could fix it. Ideally in London. Do you know anyone who you could recommend?

Many,many thanks

What do you mean by fix?

Personally I wouldn't go near companies that claim to be able to repair the actual drive units themselves. They won't be able to source the same parts as the original manufacturer and speakers like Proac use units that have been built to an exact specification.

IMO there is only one valid "fix" for a dead drive unit, and that's a direct replacement with a new unit from the manufacturer, (unless you know for a fact that they use standard units from the likes of SEAS, Morel, Scanspeak etc in which case you can buy direct possibly).

Hi. I have a man in Essex (Colchester) I use for all my speaker repairs. What he does not know about speaker repairs is not worth knowing. He worked on my original AE2 tweeters. Dave Smith of DK Loudspeakers, he can also rebuild vintage drive units. No email/website, but can be contacted on 01708 447344. He's slow but worth it. Cost for a AE2 tweeter coil repair was £69 inc ship.

Like the cartridge retipping thread. One can get all prissy about such things and flap about with issues of "originality" or you can entrust their repairs to people whose job is to repair speakers, its all they do; that's their speciality and accept that there's no real way to compare old with rebuild anyway, use your ears and move on. In some vintage (and not so vintage) cases it's your best and only option.

Many thanks everybody :)

@GTM what I meant by "fix" is to make it work or fix what can be fix and exchange what need to be exchanged in order to bring it back to live. I assumed only that woofer is broken down but maybe it's something else what caused this woofer to be deactivated. Hmmm I am not tech man hence I can only assume...

Many thanks everybody :)

@GTM what I meant by "fix" is to make it work or fix what can be fix and exchange what need to be exchanged in order to bring it back to live. I assumed only that woofer is broken down but maybe it's something else what caused this woofer to be deactivated. Hmmm I am not tech man hence I can only assume...

Fair enough. It is actually possible that it's not the drive unit itself that's at fault but the cross over. It could even be something as simple as a connector having come loose and disconnected. Most manufacturers use spade connectors to connect the internal wiring to the drive units, it's not impossible that one could have simply fallen off the bass/mid unit or at the cross over end.

@GTM keep fingers crossed :)

I contacted Proac. Aperantely they don't charge for service only for exchanged parts :) so there is a hope I won't go bankrupt this time although new mid/bass woofer costs £135.

advertisement

Back