advertisement

Lumix LX5 or Olympus XZ-1?

Robert

Tapehead
I've looked at both several times at the local Jessops and read all I can find online.

I'll be buying one or the other next weekend but I just cannot decide.
So if anyone has any strong pro or anti opinions on either, please speak as you might well highlight an issue that proves to be the decider.

I generally like Olympus cameras more than most, but the LX5 shape, the grip and control layout, appeals more.

Just for some background, I had a Lumix GF1 with standard kit zoom but never thought it that good - fine out on bright sunny day but I think the slow zoom let it down in less bright conditions. I ended up selling it.
I realise that good low light shots using a slowish zoom means an SLR with their larger sensor, but I don't want something I simply won't carry around.
The fast lenses (over the the whole zoom range), pocketability, and manual controls are the attraction of the top-end compacts.

Help!

You might find the higher noise in low light means that,even with the fast zoom, the small sensor compacts are not as useful as your GF1. Have you thoght about the 20/1.7 lens with the GF1?

I bought Sue an LX5 last year and within its range it's a nice camera. Now I would look at the Fuji X10 instead

OTOH, I had a good look at a X10 the other week. I hated it. The controls are all wrong for me.
It's a very personal decision.
My LX-3 is my favourite camera. The way it's laid out makes perfect sense for me, and I really like the kinds of photos and effects I can get with it.
5645293725_6a5b1c7452_b.jpg

I really like the LX5. The lens is ecellent given the size. Noise at higher ISO is only really a problem if you need to shoot in low light with non-stationery subjects. If you're shooting architectural interiors or pieces of HiFi, you can always stick the camera on something flat and use base ISO and the timer.

Thanks for the advice (and pics) guys.

I've watched the Charlie Waite vids and he does rate the 5 highly.

One other question please.
The LX5 has switchable aspect ratio including 1:1.
My understanding is that ordinarily a small camera will just crop the image whereas the LX5 has a slightly larger sensor and just uses the appropriate amount of that sensor for the image, retaining more pixels. Have i got that right?

The LX5 has switchable aspect ratio including 1:1.
My understanding is that ordinarily a small camera will just crop the image whereas the LX5 has a slightly larger sensor and just uses the appropriate amount of that sensor for the image, retaining more pixels. Have i got that right?

The LX2 had a native 16:9 ratio sensor, so the 4:3 image was a crop from the wide original. The LX5 has a native 4:3 ratio sensor with two crop modes from there.

Thanks Cliff.

I'm very probably going for the LX5.

I looked at the Olympus EPL3 earlier and wobbled, but only briefly.
With a pancake lens its about the same size as the Lumix, but of course adding even a short zoom ups the bulk and they are all slow. Out of interest, do you think that the larger sensor makes up for the slower lens in terms of noise, assuming the ISO has to jump to compensate?

Noise in pictures really bugs me, unless its used artistically of course.
It was interesting comparing some shots taken with a little Sony Cybershot 350 16mp compact I have here to very similar shots taken by Tony with his iPhone 4S. We wee snapping stuff at the Scalford Hall audio show and the pics from the sony are very noisy IMO - 4S much cleaner. Nice bright fixed lens on the 4S even though the pixel count is way behind the Sony.

Out of interest, do you think that the larger sensor makes up for the slower lens in terms of noise, assuming the ISO has to jump to compensate?

It's just simple maths, or at least that's how I look at it.

Small sensors start to get noisy above about ISO400 and the best Nikon and Canon 35mm ones from about ISO6400, and MFT in the middle runs out of noise free steam from about ISO800. To compensate between an MFT sensor and the LX5 is really only one stop and the typical MFT zoom is at about F5.6 compared to F2

Very nice.

But after all that I bought the Olympus :)

It was that nifty input selector ring around the lens wot won it.
That 'feels right' thing that Joel mentioned.

I'll take it out for some action over the weekend.

advertisement

Back