advertisement

MDAC first listen (part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I run my HE-500s direct from the XLR outputs on the MDAC, using an adaptor cable of 2 x 3 pin XLR to 4 pin XLR socket, which then connects to a balanced cable from the HE-500s terminated in a 4 pin XLR plug. This allows me to run balanced throughout, and also use the phones with a Little Dot MkVI - although that is becoming rarer now, as the MDAC sounds so good used directly :)

Hope this might help someone - it's another way of doing it without shelling out for a separate headphone amp.
Cheers,
George

Hi George,

Yes this is the best way to drive headphones - so long as the Ground connection of the headphone leadouts can be separated.

In effect each headphone driver is driven fully Balanced by the MDAC - I'd expect an improvement in the Bass at the very least.

Fully recommended - its how I'd drive my own headphones...

John

There's also the option to connect the SBT to MDAC via async USB using Triode's work over on the slimdevices forums...that way the MDAC is the master clock in any case.

I can confirm Triodes 'work over' works wonderfully well. The latest of his modifications allow 24/192 via the Squeezebox Touch, although I have not tested this rate as yet.

John W, any comments on the MDACs ability at this rate over Async USB?

Async via the Touch is the way to go. Sound Quality is excellent via the MDAC. You will need to purchase a USB2 bus powered Hub, but these are cheap. I purchased one from Tesco for less than £6. You will also save on not having to purchase an expensive optical or Coax cable.

Regards,
GN

I can confirm Triodes 'work over' works wonderfully well. The latest of his modifications allow 24/192 via the Squeezebox Touch, although I have not tested this rate as yet.

John W, any comments on the MDACs ability at this rate over Async USB?

Async via the Touch is the way to go. Sound Quality is excellent via the MDAC. You will need to purchase a USB2 bus powered Hub, but these are cheap. I purchased one from Tesco for less than £6. You will also save on not having to purchase an expensive optical or Coax cable.

Regards,
GN

The MDAC can only support a MAX of 96kHz/24 over USB.

We plan to offer an external Clock-locked optically isolated 192kHz ASync USB "adapter".

John

The MDAC can only support a MAX of 96kHz/24 over USB.

We plan to offer an external Clock-locked optically isolated 192kHz ASync USB "adapter".

John

That's great! Any word on whether PSU upgrades will be available before I buy? Or the clock-locked transport for if I fancy spinning a CD or two? ;)

Managed to arrange a home dem of the MDAC this coming weekend- interested to see if it's as great as the feedback would suggest- hope so!

I'll only have it a day so are there any settings on the DAC or my computer (MacBook Pro) I need to get right to ensure I'm hearing at its best?

Hi George,

Yes this is the best way to drive headphones - so long as the Ground connection of the headphone leadouts can be separated.

In effect each headphone driver is driven fully Balanced by the MDAC - I'd expect an improvement in the Bass at the very least.

Fully recommended - its how I'd drive my own headphones...

John
Dear John, I just bought a Sennheiser HD 598, the HD800 is too far for me; do you think it will fit well with MDAC? Any suggestion for the cables?

I still think a repository of all these faq's would be beneficial, I've tried to keep informed of everything re: the M-dac; it's hard work trawling the same info.

I'm aware there's not a release date for the power supplies etc but I've seen on other forums I post on the same questions, so many rumours and so much misinformation!

John, do you have a proper web page?

I still think a repository of all these faq's would be beneficial, I've tried to keep informed of everything re: the M-dac; it's hard work trawling the same info.

I'm aware there's not a release date for the power supplies etc but I've seen on other forums I post on the same questions, so many rumours and so much misinformation!

That would be a brilliant idea, with some kind of FAQ, it would probably save poor JohnW quite a bit of time, too, from what I've seen- I applaud the incredible level of support, but how does the guy find time to eat, sleep, and design stuff too?! ;)

realysm42,

No Website yet, no point spending time on a website without products. Our first two production batches are already pre-sold anyway...

The MPAX is on temporarily hold while we have development feedback from the "BDAC", I'll be still working on the BDAC's PCB layout for the month...

July would be a good target for first MPAX shipments - we will have chassis for the MPAX and MAMP (Power Amplifiers) ready for the Munich show.

Sorry for the delay, but I really want the MPAX to be the best design it can be, and I've moved the goal posts with the BDAC design who's PSU section uses the same circuit blocks originally developed for the MPAX.

John

Dear John, I just bought a Sennheiser HD 598, the HD800 is too far for me; do you think it will fit well with MDAC? Any suggestion for the cables?

Hi ADL,

If you can, convert them to use the balanced XLR connectors on the rear - if you want, you can send them to me in Czech Rep. and I can modify the cables for you FOC - just pay the shipping,

John

That's great! Any word on whether PSU upgrades will be available before I buy? Or the clock-locked transport for if I fancy spinning a CD or two? ;)

Managed to arrange a home dem of the MDAC this coming weekend- interested to see if it's as great as the feedback would suggest- hope so!

I'll only have it a day so are there any settings on the DAC or my computer (MacBook Pro) I need to get right to ensure I'm hearing at its best?

:( the MDAC really needs time to run-in, serious listening within the first 24 hours is not really recommended...

John

realysm42,

No Website yet, no point spending time on a website without products. Our first two production batches are already pre-sold anyway...

The MPAX is on temporarily hold while we have development feedback from the "BDAC", I'll be still working on the BDAC's PCB layout for the month...

July would be a good target for first MPAX shipments - we will have chassis for the MPAX and MAMP (Power Amplifiers) ready for the Munich show.

Sorry for the delay, but I really want the MPAX to be the best design it can be, and I've moved the goal posts with the BDAC design who's PSU section uses the same circuit blocks originally developed for the MPAX.

John

Thanks for the update John, as long as they're in the pipeline, I'd be happy to wait, if I do go for an MDAC.

:( the MDAC really needs time to run-in, serious listening within the first 24 hours is not really recommended...

John

Thanks, as I understand it the dealer have had the unit a while and been lending it out for dems a lot, so it'll be run in in that sense, I hope. The plan is to collect on Saturday afternoon, I'll then go home and plug it in, and let it settle, I'll do the serious listening on the Sunday afternoon/evening so it should have a fair-ish chance. Have to give it back to them Monday, as you've made it so good it's very much in demand apparently ;)

By the way, is using the internal volume control recommended, or would it degrade 16/44.2 material at the kind of attenuation I'd probably need into Les' power amps and sensitive speakers?

James

Thanks, as I understand it the dealer have had the unit a while and been lending it out for dems a lot, so it'll be run in in that sense, I hope. The plan is to collect on Saturday afternoon, I'll then go home and plug it in, and let it settle, I'll do the serious listening on the Sunday afternoon/evening so it should have a fair-ish chance. Have to give it back to them Monday, as you've made it so good it's very much in demand apparently ;)

By the way, is using the internal volume control recommended, or would it degrade 16/44.2 material at the kind of attenuation I'd probably need into Les' power amps and sensitive speakers?

James

Hi James,

No problem to use the internal volume control unless your using hyper sensitive 100dB+ horns! if you are just drive them directly Balanced from the MDAC :)

John

They're 97dB/6ohms, so getting there ;)

I'd be interested in the "Normal" listening level you have the MDAC set too - if its less then 30dB then maybe attenuators should be use...

Try driving them directly from the MDAC... even maybe with XLR balanced... but the MDAC current limit will kick in around +/- 120mA... not sure how loud this would be in real life with 97dB speakers...

John

I'd be interested in the "Normal" listening level you have the MDAC set too - if its less then 30dB then maybe attenuators should be use...

John

Sure, I'll report back once I have had a play- if I went down that road I could presumably attenuate the inputs on the power amp internally- it was a self-build so I'm fairly familiar with it, if someone would kindly tell me how...

I gave up with WASAPI and windows 7 32bit stick with Asio4All, double check the manual to make sure everything is set correctly. Manual is spot on.

Hi Phil, I've been back through the instructions and followed word for word this time. It still falls over in the same place though, after moving the foo_out_asio.dll file into the Foobar components folder (instructions page 14). When reopening Foobar after the file has been moved I get the error "Internal error - one or more of the installed components have been damaged." If I remove the dll file it opens fine. The Wasapi dll file works fine. I've tried redownloading and extracting many times but always get the same result. Can someone send me their dll file so I can try that please?

I'd remove it all and start again from scratch.
Let me check...

Version I downloaded was foo_out_asio 1.2.7 and foo_out_wasapi 2.1

Hi Phil, I've been back through the instructions and followed word for word this time. It still falls over in the same place though, after moving the foo_out_asio.dll file into the Foobar components folder (instructions page 14). When reopening Foobar after the file has been moved I get the error "Internal error - one or more of the installed components have been damaged." If I remove the dll file it opens fine. The Wasapi dll file works fine. I've tried redownloading and extracting many times but always get the same result. Can someone send me their dll file so I can try that please?

1. In the past have you had any other USB DAC's installed? - we have the suspicion that certain 192kHz USB drivers appear to leave "remnants" within the OS and can cause this issue when the default MS USB Audio driver is reloaded at a later date.

2. We are aware of certain Motherboard chip sets (Which maybe firmware related) which do not ahead to the USB spec and fails to stream complete USB packets. We have seen Apple MAC's with the issue & a Sony Laptop in China. The latest software build for the MDAC now indicates "Error" and an Error code when it detects a incompleted USB frame. I'm not sure if Dominik has the software ready yet...

Have you tried Asio4all? atleast this would confirm your hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back