advertisement

LP12 Origins

The bearing and spindle are very odd. I'd like to see pictures of the inner and outer platters.

Paul

The top plate, sub-chassis, springs, bearing, motor, electrics, outer platter, all appear to be in order as early LP12 components.

I'm concerned in that the inner platter appears to be a loose fit on the bearing spindle - where is it I wonder as it's shown off the bearing spindle in the pics?

Regards.

John R.

Just because it comes off doesn't mean it's a loose fit, there is a taper on that part of the shaft. They all come out with a gentle tap.

It's not a taper, it's a slightly larger diameter than the record spindle - I've mic'd it.

Either way, one would not expect to show an LP12 for sale with the spindle removed from inner platter removed though - it doesn't come out that easily - it does require a sharper than gentle tap in my experience.

Regards.

John R.

The internals from the underside shot look identical to mine, down to the brand of caps used on the terminal block.

If this is a chassis only LP12 ( and I have ads that confirm this possibility) then it opens up an interesting question around how the LP12 was designed and the idea that Ivor always had a kind of 'Linn sound' which differed fundamentally from that of the competition.
Selling the chassis without the plinth to me would imply that there was no such sound and that the early LP12 is just a Thorens 150 with a few tweaks and a beefier bearing. The plinth arrangement and set-up are pretty key to how this deck sounds.
It seems the mythology developed much later.

Stripping down my old LP12 recently left me feeling more than a little disappointed. It really is a very ordinary turntable in this early form and overall no better than the less expensive Thorens floaters IMO.
That isn't to imply anything about the match later versions or current production. I see the new ones as effectively different TTs.

Selling the chassis without the plinth to me would imply that there was no such sound and that the early LP12 is just a Thorens 150 with a few tweaks and a beefier bearing.

I have a large paper template here that was sold with the early LP12 chassis. It gives the dimensions of the cut-out and braces needed to house the chassis.

If this is a chassis only LP12 ( and I have ads that confirm this possibility) then it opens up an interesting question around how the LP12 was designed and the idea that Ivor always had a kind of 'Linn sound' which differed fundamentally from that of the competition.

Did you really believe that? :eek:

I can imagine customers in the late 70's & early 80's believing the hype & the reviewers but a cursory look at one revealed very quickly that it was no more than a reworked Thorens or similar (maybe slightly better executed than the 150 or 160) and that there was no way the component parts used could conjure some huge & magical difference from nowhere.

Did you really believe that? :eek:

I can imagine customers in the late 70's & early 80's believing the hype & the reviewers but a cursory look at one revealed very quickly that it was no more than a reworked Thorens or similar (maybe slightly better executed than the 150 or 160) and that there was no way the component parts used could conjure some huge & magical difference from nowhere.

I believed it for a long while - certainly into the mid 90s.

However i'd never actually pulled an early one apart until now, and its pretty disappointing in terms of the engineering. Sounds good though.

I believed it for a long while - certainly into the mid 90s.

However i'd never actually pulled an early one apart until now, and its pretty disappointing in terms of the engineering. Sounds good though.

Isn't that the point though? I bought my LP12 with a view to huge eBay profit, but upon listening it sounded better than my Sota to my ears (even in very basic spec). Sum of its parts IMO - at least before prices started skywards; but from a marketing perspective, double plus A's!

Richard

Here's a nice picture of my first ever LP12- far from standard as can be seen I've even filled in the the little lid prop groove with a piece of teak.

The afro grooved all round plinth has been refinished by lil' ole me too.

Oh' and Sole Mk VI, arm-board and Plattamat on board too.:)

LP12withSolePlattamat.jpg

Regards

John R.

Here's a nice picture of my first ever LP12

Very nice. I like to see Rega arms on the Linn ;0)

I assume you've noticed but don't you think it's odd the way platters don't sit at the same hight? That one is quite high, some are very close to the top plate. You can't adjust it out, the bearings must be different lengths.

Can't even see the prop hole, have you photo-shopped that? ;0)

Very nice. I like to see Rega arms on the Linn ;0)

I assume you've noticed but don't you think it's odd the way platters don't sit at the same hight? That one is quite high, some are very close to the top plate. You can't adjust it out, the bearings must be different lengths.

Can't even see the prop hole, have you photo-shopped that? ;0)

Cheers Mr P.

Yes, indeed I like Rega arms too. I think I've got 4 or 5 here; some standard, some modded.

The platter isn't very high at all in reality, I think the perspective and shadow cast makes it look higher than it actually is.

I can assure you that the teak filler piece can be seen, look a little closer again and you will see it.

Regards.

John R.

The internals from the underside shot look identical to mine, down to the brand of caps used on the terminal block.

Selling the chassis without the plinth to me would imply that there was no such sound and that the early LP12 is just a Thorens 150 with a few tweaks and a beefier bearing. The plinth arrangement and set-up are pretty key to how this deck sounds.
It seems the mythology developed much later.

Stripping down my old LP12 recently left me feeling more than a little disappointed. It really is a very ordinary turntable in this early form and overall no better than the less expensive Thorens floaters IMO.
That isn't to imply anything about the match later versions or current production. I see the new ones as effectively different TTs.

I believe that Audio Projects in Leeds used to sell the LP12 minus plinth. One of my old Leeds Poly lecturers had his LP12 built into an old radiogram (with a 3009), and another had a purpose-made music unit, complete with space for amp and tuner. Bit like some of the old 301/401 set ups, I suppose.

Hat's off, that's a very tidy patch you've done there.

Thanks again Mr. P.

I'm not entirely happy with it because looking closely again, you'll see a "stain" caused by the adhesive; but I am being picky, in reality it's only noticeable in certain light.

Regards.

John R.

I'm not entirely happy with it because looking closely again, you'll see a "stain" caused by the adhesive

Oh, you're being very picky. I think it would be tricky to get a cleaner patch than that. Wood grain and colour looks bang on to me.

Maybe I'll get my plinth done piano black! And chrome my Ref Tops :0)

advertisement

Back