advertisement

new to diy what would you suggest as a start

captain

Still lazy after all these years
hi all, Ive been reading as many threads as possible and i want to start somewhere. I want to build a snaps for my cd 3.5. I have very little electronics knowledge but i am working electrician so have a few tools and can solder, what is your advice on where to build up my knowledge. i want to start a project as you learn as you go along. thanks all

I started out with a CMOY build, its a low cost headphone amp that is very simple.. Lots of reading material out there and you actually learn what the various parts do etc as you tweak the design.
Its a design that is easily evolved with buffer chips/better power supplies etc, and the low cost makes it ideal as if (when) you let the magic smoke out its not a big deal.

Sam

A Naim power supply is simple: a transformer, plain rectifier, capacitors and a regulator to set the output voltage at 24 volts. There are endless discussions on how different components and regulators affect the sound, but essentially that's all it is. If you are an electrician you could solder it up in a couple of hours.

Do you also have a naim preamp by any chance. If so I'd highly recommend the acoustica mods to the 321/gain circuit. It gives you chance to try some cap swapping and find out what the different cap choices offer. Easier to do in a 32/32.5/72, but still possible in a 42/62.

And you can often pick up 321 cards to get a back up set in case of disaster.

A SNAPS is a nice simple thing.

I guess you are comfortable working with mains voltages (which most beginners aren't), it would make a good starter project.

If it seems a bit much, you could start on a kit from somewhere, and build that up before attempting a SNAPS.

yes current set up is 72 140 and diy snaps i bought off ebay, had a good look inside and thought i could at least try and improve on it. i mostly listen to vinyl but have lots of cds too so recently traded up from nad to 3.5. Where do i find the schematics and parts lists for the various snaps variations. I had a view in acoustica but it seemed very limitted or maybe i was looking in the wrong area

yes current set up is 72 140 and diy snaps i bought off ebay, had a good look inside and thought i could at least try and improve on it. i mostly listen to vinyl but have lots of cds too so recently traded up from nad to 3.5. Where do i find the schematics and parts lists for the various snaps variations. I had a view in acoustica but it seemed very limitted or maybe i was looking in the wrong area

Hi,

a photo of the DIY snaps wouldn't go astray, we could offer some pointers on improvements.

hi droigs i will post a picture in the next coupla days, once again thanks to all i looking forward to being part of the pfm commune

hi droigs as suggested pitures of the snaps it may even be a pfmers , first time posting pics so not sure if its done right

P1010200.jpg
[/IMG]

Hi captain,

using something that you already have and improving it is often a great way into DIY. this snaps copy may be a perfect for some adjustments.

but i am a bit lost to its origin.

guys anyone recognise these regs ?

also captain a good overall pic of the device so we can work out what coming from the transformer may be worthwhile.

I am thinking a pair of home made str's may be a nice project here, although that could be whats in there for all i know, any one know any better ??

kind regards

jim

hi jim its quite tight in the box quite difficult to take pirture s of the circuit boards hopefully these two pics will help

P1010205.jpg

P1010204.jpg

Be careful diy audio is an addiction and before you Know it you will be posting for advice in the early hours of the morning to get a fix.

advertisement

Back