advertisement

MDAC first listen (part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have used the term 'extra components' vs my 'additional components'.

Not sure which is correct but basically the same imo.

Sorry, did not read your post properly.. Yes, what you said!

I did 'say' IMO.

Try changing the phase and/or filter.

Sure - IMO as well :) Most people seem to agree that the XLR output is better. I just wanted to mention that found the RCA sounded better in my system.

Anyway, that Mdac is burning in and should find it's way into my system tomorrow!

Sorry, did not read your post properly.. Yes, what you said!

Sure - IMO as well :) Most people seem to agree that the XLR output is better. I just wanted to mention that found the RCA sounded better in my system.

Anyway, that Mdac is burning in and should find it's way into my system tomorrow!

The M-DAC does take some time to come 'on song' but, really worth the wait.

Obviously depends on the rest of your system and personal preferences but a great DAC.

All IMO

Apparently the Dacmagic has extra components in the signal path when using the rca's, that would be one reason they sound different.

The MDAC is designed so the RCA output is not degraded at the expense of the XLR outputs.

It might be a different story for the amplifier - where most amplifiers are not true balanced input rather convert the balance input to single-ended operation internally - this is such poor design practice when most amplifiers have true differential input stages... I can tell you for free that its not going to happen this way on our M-AMP!

John

Hi JohnW

I have been thinking about maybe i will go for one of your upgrade solution at the same time sinse i am sending my M-DAC to Czech Rep.
Please pm the address and e-mail adress for easier communication.

Regards

Leif A

Leif A,

There are no updates yet (the raw / unfinished MPAX casework extrusions should arrive today) - but in light of the inconvenience caused by the failure of your MDAC's (I’m always sorry when I hear of a unit failing) - I can improve the performance of your unit when it arrives here in CZ.

John

Give it at least a week - JohnW has mentioned the 'organic' caps used in the psu section as needing a long time to get to their optimal working condition. Mine sounded uninspiring/variable - for the most part - for a week or two before it came on song. There are those that don't believe this, but ive never had a piece of equipment that needed so much running in time to sound decent. Was tempted to sell it several times I must say. Now my only complaint is the never ending wait for the firmware update to fix the input filter display on all sources except usb...

-John

John,

Quick fix to the incorrect filter load issue is to set the "Sampling rate" display option to "nominal frequency" - Dominik's looked into the issue and its due to heavy traffic collisions on the MDAC's internal communication Bus...

John

Thanks for this quickfix! I have my MDAC set to show "nominal frequency".

Quick fix to the incorrect filter load issue is to set the "Sampling rate" display option to "nominal frequency" - Dominik's looked into the issue and its due to heavy traffic collisions on the MDAC's internal communication Bus...

John,

John

Great stuff - cheers John!

if I may ask JohnW - is the plan for the MDAC to stack on top of the M-PAX (you mentioned previously it has the same footprint) and if so - how tall in the M-PAX? Odd question I know, but I'm planning to mount something above the MDAC and want to leave enough room....

if I may ask JohnW - is the plan for the MDAC to stack on top of the M-PAX (you mentioned previously it has the same footprint) and if so - how tall in the M-PAX? Odd question I know, but I'm planning to mount something above the MDAC and want to leave enough room....

Yes, stacked below the MDAC...

Hi JohnW
I got myself an MDAC, Thank you for a wonderful product sounds fantastic!
I have a problem using the MDAC with a Humax box and an Apple TV there is Audio drop outs using the coax and optical inputs, I have tried setting the output on both sources to LPCM Stereo and D3E to all three settings but the problem still occurs.

I have tried different cables can you please help?

Thanks in advance ;-)

Hi JohnW
I got myself an MDAC, Thank you for a wonderful product sounds fantastic!
I have a problem using the MDAC with a Humax box and an Apple TV there is Audio drop outs using the coax and optical inputs, I have tried setting the output on both sources to LPCM Stereo and D3E to all three settings but the problem still occurs.

I have tried different cables can you please help?

Thanks in advance ;-)

Hi headfi,

Its a known issue Check out post #355 here http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=114068&highlight=mdac+listen&page=24

Theres also an overdue software update in the works - any day now, but the above link will solve the locking issue (Using Optical input 2).

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on using the volume on the M-DAC in conjunction with a separate pre-amp? Would it defeat the object of having a separate pre-amp? My pre-amp does not have a remote control and having remote use of volume control is something quite important to me. I want the pre in the system.

I will be running a SB Touch in to a DAC, then Croft pre / Quad 900 power. I did in the past use the volume on the SB but found it really didn’t work well, I had a hiss issue which disappeared when I disabled it. So will setting the pre volume at a fixed point and then using the volume on the M-DAC work without any limitations?

Cheers.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on using the volume on the M-DAC in conjunction with a separate pre-amp? Would it defeat the object of having a separate pre-amp? My pre-amp does not have a remote control and having remote use of volume control is something quite important to me. I want the pre in the system.

I will be running a SB Touch in to a DAC, then Croft pre / Quad 900 power. I did in the past use the volume on the SB but found it really didn’t work well, I had a hiss issue which disappeared when I disabled it. So will setting the pre volume at a fixed point and then using the volume on the M-DAC work without any limitations?

Cheers.

Sure, you can use it like them, depending if you like how it sounds or not. I assume the most of the users do that.

Myself, not - I prefer an external active preamp for full glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back