advertisement

What's your most pretentious/Most stupid hifi product name

Well, when I still lived it Torino, years ago, there was an audio craftsman who designed and built amps and loudspeakers of some local/national fame, and one day he asked me to come listen to his latest design, a pyramid-shaped loudspeaker with various drivers on all four surfaces, meant to be a killer, and he had unassumingly named them >Apocalypse Now<. I think these honestly win. I regret none of you could hear them.

Back in the 80's, praised as "the most expensive speaker system", Infinity Reference Standard

Densen have recently started to use the term "Superleggera' on some of their products.....Normally used by Lamborghini, it means "superlight" I believe - what the hell it has to do with the audio world I will never know!

Densen have recently started to use the term "Superleggera' on some of their products.....Normally used by Lamborghini, it means "superlight" I believe - what the hell it has to do with the audio world I will never know!

I think it is because they put the power supplies in a different box so the head unit is super-light --- ludicrous really.

Jason

Uh, the term was normally used by Carrozzeria Touring, an Italian coachbuilding firm, long before Lamborghini had strayed from the manufacture of farm tractors.

Folks, I think we are missing out by concentrating on the product names - by going slightly OT, how about some of the names manufacturers give to the finishes on their products?

Try these from KEF: http://www.kef.com/html/gb/showroom/hi-fi_series/reference_series/finishes/index.html - "lime sorbet" - yeah, RIGHT! These are probably not the worst offenders, I'm sure you all have your own "favourites" ...

As "customised" finishes start to become available, it can't be too long before finish names match some of the worst excesses of the Dulux paint catalogue - "sumptuous plum" (yes, really!), anyone?

Clearaudio "Maximum" or "Master" Solution. At least they had the good sense not to call it "Final" Solution.....

VYGER: I hope it's an acronym for something; otherwise, naming the company after a randomly named Star Trek character, is just plain bizarre..

Folks, I think we are missing out by concentrating on the product names - by going slightly OT, how about some of the names manufacturers give to the finishes on their products?

Great idea!

Here's what German horn manufacturer Avantgarde Acoustics has on offer, complete with descriptions:

- Shiny Citrine Orange - A vibrant color in full bloom. It will enliven even the most tranquil moments.
- Ruby Brilliant Red - In many cultures red is the color of life. Select this color and you‘ll know why.
- Sapphire Burma Blue - Blue is the favored color of many people. The alleged lack of exclusivity will be forgotten as soon as you regard it for the first time.
- Light Topas Blue - The transparency of condensed emptiness. Associated with heaven and water. Airy, agravic, dreamy.
- Smaragd Pearl Green - With this horn option green is no longer the color of tranquility and sedation. A green is full of emotions and statement.
- Turmaline Vivid Black - A black so deep and clear it competes with the bass.
- Stealth Nocturne Grey - Fascinating surrealism. Scary beauty. Sounds under the magic cap.
- Diamond Crystal Silver - A classical color. Lucent, ageless and as impregnable as the precious stone which gave it its name.
- Akoya Pearl White - Famous cultured pearl. Dream wedding in tender white.
- Light Amber Bronze - The warmest color we can offer. Complement it by playing Barry White and your heating costs will likely go down.
- Saona Beach Cream - Inspired by the most beautiful beaches in the world. Disarmingly warm and full of serene composure.

<blackadder>

Yes, would you excuse me for a moment? I've got some urgent business. There's a bucket outside I've got to be sick into.

<\blackadder>

Great idea!

Here's what German horn manufacturer Avantgarde Acoustics has on offer, complete with descriptions:

- Shiny Citrine Orange - A vibrant color in full bloom. It will enliven even the most tranquil moments.
- Ruby Brilliant Red - In many cultures red is the color of life. Select this color and you‘ll know why.
- Sapphire Burma Blue - Blue is the favored color of many people. The alleged lack of exclusivity will be forgotten as soon as you regard it for the first time.
- Light Topas Blue - The transparency of condensed emptiness. Associated with heaven and water. Airy, agravic, dreamy.
- Smaragd Pearl Green - With this horn option green is no longer the color of tranquility and sedation. A green is full of emotions and statement.
- Turmaline Vivid Black - A black so deep and clear it competes with the bass.
- Stealth Nocturne Grey - Fascinating surrealism. Scary beauty. Sounds under the magic cap.
- Diamond Crystal Silver - A classical color. Lucent, ageless and as impregnable as the precious stone which gave it its name.
- Akoya Pearl White - Famous cultured pearl. Dream wedding in tender white.
- Light Amber Bronze - The warmest color we can offer. Complement it by playing Barry White and your heating costs will likely go down.
- Saona Beach Cream - Inspired by the most beautiful beaches in the world. Disarmingly warm and full of serene composure.

<blackadder>

Yes, would you excuse me for a moment? I've got some urgent business. There's a bucket outside I've got to be sick into.

<\blackadder>

Absolutely foo-tastic!

Clearly "none more" is the correct name to give any black finish, particularly with pre- or integrated amplifiers. Especially those with volume controls which go "one louder".

So, we've had KEF's "Masterchef" range and Avantgarde's "Jewellery Channel" selection ... any more?

Linn calling their active Isobarik speaker's the PMS. Not sure about the U.K., but here in the U.S. PMS stands for premenstrual syndrome.

Mark

Absolutely foo-tastic!
Clearly "none more" is the correct name to give any black finish, particularly with pre- or integrated amplifiers. Especially those with volume controls which go "one louder".

I knew this reminded me of something...

Ford and Zaphod are transfixed by the spaceships in the carpark, and discover a totally black, totally frictionless ship. Stuck without the Heart of Gold, they decide to steal it, with Marvin's help. When on the ship, they discover that it is out of control, and since the interior is also totally black none of the controls are legible.

How black do you want your system?

Alex

advertisement

Back